PDA

View Full Version : Graphic card

Lagu
04-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi

I have connected my old Athlon to my flat screen and the letters is more dark and not as distinct as when I use my AMD64. The computer has a NVIDIA Geforce2 MX/MX 400 32 MB graphic card.

Is it because I only have 32 MB? On my AMD 64 I have 256 MB.

Lagu :)

Empty_5oul
04-19-2006, 08:04 PM
can you increase the brightness or contrast on your screen? (actually on the screen itself)

or try downloading newer drivers from NVIDIA: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Lagu
04-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the link.

There is not any upgrade as fit Geforce4. It is not a large problems with the screen. I was only woundering.
This graphis card fits better to my traditionally screen and it is perfect.

Tomorrow my AMD will be back.

dAVE
04-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Lagu, I ran a flat screen on my old TNT card with only 32 MB without problems. Are you sure that the screen resolution is set to the same as the spec of your flat screen. If they are not the same then you get what you are describing. David.

Lagu
04-19-2006, 09:09 PM
I haven´t change anything. The screen is for my AMD 64. No idea play with the screen because i have no trouble with it. The screen is at 60 MHz which is normal.

All is fine for me only ponder if 32 MB was the cause.

dAVE
04-19-2006, 09:28 PM
The flat screen is made up of a lot of dots and the documentation with it will say how many. For a 19 inch screen it is usually 1280 X 1024 pixels.
Your graphics card needs to output at the same numbers of pixels.
Right click on an empty area of the screen and select properties, you should get the display properties window.
Go to the settings tab and you should see a screen resolution box with a slider in it. Slide this until you have the same number of pixels as the screen shows. Click on apply and it will go to that setting for a few seconds to let you see if it is better.
David.

Lagu
04-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks Dave

I did as you told me and slided the resolution to max 1280 x 1024 and then to 1280 x 960 and all was so much better but too small letters and icons. It fits me not.

dAVE
04-19-2006, 10:10 PM
On the display properties box you should find other settings in the different tabs to give you large icons and larger font sizes. David

AMD-USR_JL
04-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Lagu, is you color set to 32-bit? Right click on your Desktop then click properties. Go to the Settings tab. Look under color quality and see if you have it on the highest setting.

Lagu
04-19-2006, 10:21 PM
WOW David

Did you guess what happen when I change resolution? The screen works faster and when I change page or load another homepage it happen faster than it ever has. Before the page change a ittle slower. I have 1280-960 resolution and I have 8 Mbits speed on my broadband. I have not understand why the pages change so slowly. It is as the screen have must ben hardworking.

Thank you again. I will continue with this setings. I´m very surprised over I discovered this phenomene but it is thanks to your "obstinacy".

Lagu :eek: :D ;)

dAVE
04-19-2006, 10:28 PM
It's nice to repay the favours you did me when I was starting with BOINC.
David.

Lagu
04-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Lagu, is you color set to 32-bit? Right click on your Desktop then click properties. Go to the Settings tab. Look under color quality and see if you have it on the highest setting.

Yes it is. And the whole screen is as it is new and I never had such beautiful sharpness and colours.

Lagu

Lagu
04-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Hi

NVIDIA GeForce4 32 MB MX/MX 400 as is on my 5 year Compaq Presario 5126EA is a very fast and reliable graphic card.
On my 2 year old AMD Athlon 64 I have ATI Radeon 9600 256 MB AGP 8x and it is yet not as fast as GeForce.
It takes longer to change pages. I use 1280 x 1024 as resolution little more than when I use GeForce.
This graphic card was sheaper. If I had choose another make and paid a little more I should get a more reliable card.

Perhaps I should search after an update.

Empty_5oul
04-20-2006, 04:32 PM
It takes longer to change pages.
this would be due to the internet and other factors, not the graphics card.

try something like 3D mark (i think its available for download on here but its a few years old- probably not worth you trying the newest version it will be too much for your machine!)

dAVE
04-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Lagu, When you get you new computer back use the set up disc that came with your flat screen. That should set up everything automatically if you follow the instructions. David.

Lagu
04-20-2006, 10:16 PM
I´ve downloaded 3D Mark 2001 SE (Build 300) to both computers.

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX/MX 400 got 2.535 3Dmarks but couldn´t run all sewenteen tests because the graphic card not supported all.

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro got 10.614 3Dmarks and run all sewenteen tests.

This results is acceotable I think?

Lagu :D

Lagu
04-20-2006, 10:34 PM
On Compaq Presario i have this Ethernet card: Realtek RTL8139 Family Ethernet NIC

On AMD Athlon 64 I have this Ethernet card: VIA Networking Velocity-Family Giga-bit Ethernet adapter.

Yesterday I use the Presario and Internet was faster than I ever had seen.
I could change pages quickly than I ever had and even load other home pages faster.

VIA perhaps isn’t the fastest Ethernet? I have KV8PRO (VIAK8T800P)
Mean it the Ethernet Card is Onboard or inbuilt together with the motherboard?

Lagu
04-20-2006, 10:54 PM
I have checked System information and choose Network > Network Card and found I have
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC installed. Should I upgrade to this card?

dAVE
04-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Lagu, set you resolution to the setting that you had when you were using you old comuter. If your graphics card is sending out a signal for the wrong resolution (number of pixels) then your flat screen has to convert it and gives a delay. Try that first. David.

Lagu
04-20-2006, 11:22 PM
David

You did it again! It loads a little faster if my eyes not lurk me.

Thanks a lot again. It is always good to have a teammate as is so engaged and conciderate!

Lagu :D ;)

Lagu
04-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi

I had to back to my previous settings of 1024 x 768 pixels because the letters was too thin and difficult to see clear. I have tried all settings and change to a greater size of the letters and it helped little. But when I use Word as has a white background the letters was thin and indistinct. Our forums as is green and have white letters is more easy to see but yet the letters is not as distinct as it is when use 1024 x 768 pixels.

I have DPI settings of 96 DPI. I have tested another DPI setting of 120 but it was not so good. I have a third setting as is called “adjusted setting” as I yet not tested.

All is fine but when use Word or Excel the letter and figure it isn’t adequate.
I wonder if I can change background in Word and get another colour instead for white?

On the flat screen I have the possibility to set contrast and light but I’m not sure if it will help if I change any of the standard settings.

dAVE
04-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Did you get a CD with the flat screen? If you did then run the install program and it will give you the best driver and settings for the card automatically. If you did not then post the make and model of the flat screen in this topic. Dave.

Lagu
04-21-2006, 11:00 PM
David

I have a disc but it only contain a lot of PDF-files for different models and language. This is from The installation file:

;+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++
; Monitor INF file for HYUNDAI ImageQuest L70N
;
; Copyright 1997-2002, HYUNDAI ImageQuest Co., Ltd.
;
; This is a INF file for installing monitors for Windows.

[Version]
ClassGuid={4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=Monitor
Provider=%ImageQuest%

[ClassInstall32]
AddReg=ClassAddReg32

[ClassAddReg32]
HKR,,,,%MonitorClassName%
HKR,,Icon,,"-1"
HKR,,NoInstallClass,,1

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=11
L70N.CopyFiles=23

[SourceDisksNames]
1=%InsDisk%,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
L70N.icm=1

[Manufacturer]
%ImageQuest%=ImageQuest

[ImageQuest]
%L70N%=L70N.Install, Monitor\HIQ0705

[L70N.Install]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=L70N.AddReg, 1280, DPMS
CopyFiles=L70N.CopyFiles

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
HKR,MODES
HKR,,MaxResolution
HKR,,DPMS
HKR,,ICMProfile

[1280]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1280, 1024"

[DPMS]
HKR,,DPMS,,1

[L70N.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1280,1024",Mode1,,"31.0-83.0,56.0-75.0,+,+"
HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"L70N.icm"

[L70N.CopyFiles]
L70N.icm

[Strings]
MonitorClassName="Monitor"
InsDisk="HYUNDAI ImageQuest Monitor Installation Disk"
ImageQuest="HYUNDAI ImageQuest Co., Ltd."
L70N="HYUNDAI ImageQuest L70N"

If you could send me your private E-postadresse I van send you the pdf-file to you. Should it be in Englisch or another language? You kan send me your e-postadresse via our homepage. Search after Lagu.

dAVE
04-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Lagu, The INF file is the driver file for your monitor. Double click on it to install it. David.

Lagu
04-21-2006, 11:26 PM
David

I have tried it by doubleclick on this file but I get the same file as I PM´ed.

Here another info:

ENGLISH

To open this CD user’s guide made in each language, you need installing Acrobat Reader 4.0 if your computer didn’t have the software of Acrobat.

Do follow below steps to install Acrobat Reader 4.0.

1. Double-click the folder “Acrobat” in this CD. Two icons “Ar40eng.exe” and “Korfont.exe” appear.

2. Double-click the icon “Ar40eng.exe” which sets up Acrobat Reader 4.0.

3. “Acrobat Reader 4.0 setup” frame appears on the screen. Click “Next>”.

4. “Software License Agreement” frame appears. Click “Accept”. Don’t worry about unlawful use because this software is free.

5. “Choose Destination Location” frame appears. Click “Next>”

6. “Information” frame appears. Click “OK”. Now the installation has finished.

Again go back to D: drive and choose the folder which has the model name of your monitor. There select the icon where your language was named for using

I have already Akrobat reader. But what korfont.exe is I don´t know. Perhaps it is this fiel I should install. It is a zipped file as have more files.
Perhaps it is more fonts?

Lagu

dAVE
04-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Lagu, First make a system restore point so that you can undo things if they go wrong. I would go to My computer then right click and select properties, then chose the hardware tab and click on the device manager button. Right click on the monitor and select update driver, Click on the button "No not his time" so that windows does not search for the microsoft driver. Click next and it will tell you to put your CD in. then follow the wizzard. You will need to reboot for the changes to take effect.

Below are the instructions off the Hyundai web site but I admit they do not work with my system either.
1. Select Display in Control panel.
2. Select Settings.
3. Select Display Type.
4. Click Change, if you want to change the Display adapter type.
5. Select the Model that matches your hardware (Hyundai L70N)
If your moniot is not listed, insert the disk and click Have Disc .
6. Click Close to exit Display type screen, after the display adapter has been installed properly.
7. Click Close to exit Display type screen, after the display adapter has been installed properly.
8. Select wanted Desktop Area in the Display properties screen and the amount of colors in the Color palette box.
For possible alternatives, refer to the Hyundai monitor specification in the User's manual.
9. Click Refresh frequency to change it. For possible Refresh rate,
refer to the Hyundai monitor specification in the User's manual.
10. Select e.g. 60Hz.
11. Click TEST to test the display.
12. Click OK when the test screen appears.
13. Press Yes if you see the test bitmap correctly, otherwise No.
14. If you have changed the adapter settings, you have to restart the your computer before settings will take effect.

Lagu
04-22-2006, 04:23 PM
dAve

Thank you for your engagement. I apologise because I fail to update.

In the device manager I have no L70N. I have this:

Screen > Plug and Play Screen
Graphic card > ATI Radeon 9600 series > ATI Radeon 9600 series secondary

I tried to upgrade Plug and Play using the Hyundai CD-ROM. I got a message as said it couldn’t find a newer version as I already have.

I opened ATI setting > advanced > Properties for the screen and found this:

DCC-information
DCC supports (Colour profile sRGB Colour Space Profile)

Name of the screen: L70N
Largest reported resolution: 1280 – 1024
Largest reported repetition: 75 MHz

Property of the monitor: Use DCC-information
Precedence for repetition: Not activated
More alternative: Equal with the dashboard, 43, 60, 70, 72 and 75 MHz.

dAVE
04-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Lagu, You have the driver installed for your monitor and you should be able to see your monitor on the list in display settings. The resolution that you need is 1280 x 1024. I think you might have a problem with the way that Word and Excell are showing their letters but I am not very good at that. On your screen you should be able to read everything clearly in word as you have a good monitor.
Sorry David.

Lagu
04-24-2006, 01:35 AM
I got some problems with my ATI graphic card. There was a file as got in an endless loop and to the end the screen froze and causes me to force a reboot. Now I have removed all files and downloaded a new Catalyst from year 2006 and now my Hyundai screen shows the right behaviour of the letters. Not thin but dark and distinct when I use WORD but it is also a sharp contrast when am online in our forums. I use now the highest resolution.

The cause of the bad letters was therefore I had too old drivers. ATI recommend no upgrade if there was no problem but yet there was.

Now I will see if the upgrade will solve the failure I got. I was first unsure if the cause was the fact I have over clocked the processor but perhaps it isn’t

Lagu. :D

Lagu
04-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi

In ATI CATALYST® Control Centre has I the possibility to set some parameters. Here is one of them:

3D Refresh Rate Override

“By default, some screen applications operate at a refresh rate of 60 Hz instead of the desktop rate. To resolve this, select the desired refresh rate:”

To shoose among:
Disable
Same as desktop
60 Hz (Standard right now and what is recommending for the screen.)
70 Hz
75 Hz (After installing ATI’s files this Hz was chosen automatic.) After I have change to 60 Hz.

What is recommendable among these alternative? Should I have “Same as desktop” or “60 Hz”)

I’ve read on Internet about the graphic card on over clockers page (A Swedish one) where a guy said: “I wish I could lock the graphic card”. This guy is one of many as use to over clock his CPU. What do you think he mean? Should an over clocking affect the graphic card. I’m thinking if he should be forced to change the voltage. I know the graphic card can be overheated.

I have a question about Hz: If I have 75Hz rather than 60 Hz and a resolution of 1152 x 864 should there be any difference depending the quality of the picture?

I use first 1280 x 1024 but noticed lather the screen showed different sharp areas. When use Word and locked at the menu from “Archive to Help” it began with a light thin indistinct letter and coming to “Format” it was a little darker and more distinct and when I come to “Help” it was a lot better.

Tested to write and the letters have various quality. Thin and thick and a “w” are to dark. I think it must be something wrong with the monitor. I downloaded a new display engine yesterday and a new Catalyst and installed it. There is also lbad quality when checking the forum.

If I have a warranty I have nothing to fetch from my old reseller as have go bankruptcy.

Yes, there have been 3 questions on the same time.

Empty_5oul
04-24-2006, 02:09 PM
the Hz value is how quickly the monitor refreshes itself.
you can usually see the difference on the screen depending which value you choose. - at 60 sometimes you can see the lines as it refreshes, upping this to 75 solves this problem.
Personally i use 75.

Lagu
04-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Empty_5oul

Thank you for your engagement. I have change to 75 Mhz and it get much better.

Lagu
04-24-2006, 10:56 PM
My graphics card is unstable. I just got a failure when the mouse freeze on the screen and I was thinking I must reboot the computer. To my surprise ATI´s Catalyst control centre opened Outlook and attached a file automatically containing a message as should tell ATI what as happen. I wrote to them and explained what I discovered and that I have over clocked the computer but not change the voltage for AGPV. After sending the e-mail I was asked for a reboot but I could choose to that or do this lather. I had a chance to save all work and close Internet before I did a reboot. That is very smart because it always is so difficult to get contact with the support. You all have for sure met that problem when they steer us to their FAQ or troubleshooting page.
Now I will wait and see if they take contact. :cool:

Lagu
04-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi

I have read in the User manual the factum I can use my LCD screen and view another VGA screen through a special adapter as I should connect to the outlet of the VGA screen and then to the special outlet back the computer. I was first thinking of control 2 computers and remove the VGA screen but I must be wrong. I think both screens must be on so I can change between them or can the VGA screen bee off and I yet can view it?

It should be interesting to know from you as have experience from such a arrangement.

Lagu ;)

Lagu
04-26-2006, 12:10 AM
Hi

I have now discovered I got problems with the Graphic card when I have Boinc manager open. I had paused 2 WU´s and should get them ready. No problems there. When I then move the mouse to “Commands” the mouse freeze and I was forced to reboot. This happen every time I got a failure.

What do you think? Is it the Boinc manager as cause the problems? Or can it be due to the fact I have over clocked the computer? It newer happen when I use Internet, Word or Excel. I’m confused.

Lagu :? :-(

Lagu
05-06-2006, 08:31 PM
I think I must buy a new graphic card. I got problems almost every day often when i have Boinc open. The mouse freeze and the graphic card flipped out forced me to reboot mu computer. I think it is damaged.
Yesterday when I was online I got an issue and the card flipped out.

What should I shoose among these graphic card:

ATI 9250 SE 128 MB
ATI x800 256 MB
ATI x700 512 MB
GeForce 6600 256 and 512 MB

That is what my reseller sell and he is the only one in this city.

All help is highly appriciated.

Empty_5oul
05-06-2006, 09:05 PM
personally id go with the geforce.

do you know the prices? it may be cheaper to buy from USA or europe but pay the extra delivery.

Lagu
05-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi

I´ve now change graphic card from ATI to Nvidia GeForce Series 6 chipset 6600 256 MB DDR
Advanced Display Pipeline with full nView capabilities
AGP8X support
Complete DirectX support, including DirectX 9.0 and lower
Full OpenGL 1.5 and lower support
TV-out

I know there is a newer version of DirectX but if I not use to play any games should i upgrade yet?

Lagu :D

vaughan
05-10-2006, 09:37 PM
For a dedicated cruncher running an Athlon XP2800+ CPU I purchased a Gigabyte nVidia 5200 graphics card recently for AUD55.

Steve Lux
10-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Some articles on the future of using GPUs to crunch data:

Bioinformatics applications: http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/Med%20&%20Bio/index.html

And even more interesting: http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/Scientific%20Computing/index.html

It won't be much longer until we crunchers will be focusing upon what type of GPU(s) we are running rather than what type of CPU(s) we are using. Especially in systems designed to run multiple graphics cards.

The future of crunching looks to get interesting.

Steve Lux
10-02-2006, 11:56 PM
LAGU:
I have read in the User manual the factum I can use my LCD screen and view another VGA screen through a special adapter as I should connect to the outlet of the VGA screen and then to the special outlet back the computer. I was first thinking of control 2 computers and remove the VGA screen but I must be wrong. I think both screens must be on so I can change between them or can the VGA screen bee off and I yet can view it?

If I understand you correctly, were you wanting to run multiple computers into a single monitor? If so I purchased a device for doing just that from Best Buy. It is called a 4-port KVM switch with audio support. It is made by IOGEAR and is model# GCS614A. It allows you to manage four PS/2 computers from a single PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse and monitor. Admittedly I have yet to test it because I let my son take his computer back before I had a chance, but I do intend to build more systems and run them all from the same mouse, keyboard and monitor setup.

I imagine there are other vendors who sell similar items, but from your post this looks like what you were wanting to do.