PDA

View Full Version : BONIC WHEN???

ahab3333
03-02-2004, 05:37 PM
when are you starting a bonic team :lol: i would like to join if you start one. or let me know how to start one and i will post it. bonic is nearing the end of its beta testing and then it will replace seti@home so you might as well join up now. ahab3333@hotmail.com

em99010pepe
03-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Our team is here (http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/team_display.php?teamid=232).

Bionic_Redneck
03-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Right now bionic is just for astropulse but later once out of beta other dc projects will be added. I'm not entirely sure which ones will be using bionic but seti2 and climate prediction are suppose to and there has been rumors about folding@home joining too.

Arminiusc
03-03-2004, 03:04 AM
Are the stats going to be reset when it gets out of beta?

Keith75
03-03-2004, 04:55 AM
Yes! At least that is what they have repeatedly said in the Boinc forums. A main reason I haven't done much on the Beta.

BC
06-28-2004, 12:37 AM
I was with Boinc beta up through and into "Live" mode where
Seti Classic (Seti@home as it was known by) made the crossing to
support both Seti Classic and Seti Boinc.

The official word that it was astropulse was not true... we were
running Seti ver 3 code. We had the Seti Classic work splitter feeding us data to run, just no results were ever kept after error analysis / verification.

As the project went Live, most of the beta team as I know them went and transitioned to live.

I am told by Berkeley direct & others that users will be transitioned to the BOINC architecture as they smooth out the web page and database. (the incredibly weakest link is the database which can't possibly handle the volume levels yet). Primary example being that they want a clean cut over to BOINC and NO points carried, but the user community feels differently. All this to keep the cheating isolated back in Seti-1

Either way, it will settle out as TPS makes policy and sets dates in conjunction with UCB.

So. As it stands now... BOINC is 'officially' live on Predictor (scripps.edu) and Seti.

There is general cleanup work going on now in the BOINC project manager (GUI, aka 'core client') and the Seti application. Predictor is also getting help from UCB in it's launch and running about 1 version behind Seti.

I am told that once Seti and Predictor are stable (or mostly stable) and on the same versions across the board, real Astropulse and other new projects will begin.

(most of this info comes direct from UCB/SSL, a few things are 2nd hand from those who have even closer ties than I do.)

Hope this closes out this thread and answers any dangling questions that were never answered by the web sites (which were DELIBERATELY vague).

Hollar if I missed anything,

BC