PDA

View Full Version : Letter to (inactive) Rosetta crunchers!

tralala
05-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi,

Rosetta enters a protein structure prediction contest (CASP7) in a few days. From May 8th until August 6th they will compete against other teams to predict the most accurate protein structures. Time to call for additional support! Some volunteers including me have drafted a letter which the Rosetta Team wants to send out to all the crunchers.

Please have a look here and give your comments:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Tralala

NeoGen
05-01-2006, 04:40 PM
I think it's cool. It has all points covered, and is quite appealing. :)

And it doesn't ask for money like SETI... :lol:

tralala
05-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm glad you like it. I'm curious what the results will be (in terms of TFlops).

NVM
05-07-2006, 02:57 PM
it would probably get a lot more effort if the CASP people didn't hold this "competition" during the hottest months of the year for the countries that contribute most of the work. everybody who is involved in DC knows that many people shut down during the summer months.

AMDave
05-07-2006, 03:20 PM
That is actually a very good point, IMHO.
Climate is an often overlooked aspect of logistics and planning.
Good pick up NVM.

(gives us Aussies an unfair advantage :twisted:)

NVM
05-07-2006, 03:34 PM
haha, and your toilets flush the wrong way too... lol

AMDave
05-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Funny, I thought "downwards" WAS the correct way. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just j/k nvm.

But you are right about the above. They could plan better for success if they thought a little harder. Odd that scientists should overlook something like that.

Hey, maybe they do it so they can migrate south in winter !?
-- alarums -- oops. that was lame and it's 2 am. c u l8r.

tralala
05-12-2006, 11:24 AM
The CASP-Trial is not specifically for Distributed Computing Approaches. Many scientists and teams participate with very different approaches. I think they just got used to the 2 year-cycle with prediction over the summer.

Btw has anybody received the letter? A Hotmail user reported it was classified as SPAM. Who has received the letter?

Joachim

vaughan
05-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Yes, I received it.

If its part of the BOINC Spring Championships here at AMD Users it will get lots of attention.

Go team!

daddygeek
05-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Yes, I received it on 5/10/06 at 1:36am

I hope I get back to the house and bring back at least two of my servers to help with the project.

Nflight
05-12-2006, 03:02 PM
I too received the letter on May 10, 2006

Lagu
05-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi

I got their letters too but it was empty!

Se another topic.

Lagu :cry:

Lagu
05-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Now I got their letter and it wasn´t empty. My router had blocked incoming E-posts.

Lagu

tralala
05-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi,

Good to hear that most of you received the letter. I hope more people from our team will increase their effort - currently we are loosing ground but with a bit more effort even place 10 is realistic. When Rosetta is due in the BOINC Championship we will definitely go up. :D

vaughan
05-24-2006, 10:40 PM
I noticed on today's stats update that we lost tralala to Free-DC. :-(

I hope it is only a temporary departure whilst they help Free-DC in their gauntlet with XtremeSystems. Remember tralala you are always welcome back here.

tralala
05-24-2006, 10:53 PM
I noticed on today's stats update that we lost tralala to Free-DC. :-(

I hope it is only a temporary departure whilst they help Free-DC in their gauntlet with XtremeSystems. Remember tralala you are always welcome back here.

Yes it is. I'm helping out there to slow down the XS overtake and will return once the battle is over. Such a high-profile team battle brings quite a boost to a project and I like to drag that a little bit out. ;)

vaughan
05-24-2006, 11:00 PM
No problem - good luck with the gauntlet :)

Lagu
05-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Tralala

What you are doing isn´t unusual. Our team have got help from a member from another team in Majestic-12 if I not is wrong. But he ran only for one day.

But it was a fine gesture yet.

Lagu ;)

NeoGen
05-25-2006, 04:19 AM
Free-DC will need a bit more than luck to keep their 1st rank... :P

tralala
05-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Free-DC will need a bit more than luck to keep their 1st rank... :P

Indeed it is amazing what XS is bringing to the front. They ramped up in a few days from 300k to almost 500k credits and seem to know no limit. I'm curious wheter Free-DC can react.

tralala
06-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Okay I'm back now! Xtremesystems had to overtake Free-DC twice but they managed that nicely and fast.

NeoGen
06-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Rosetta has been getting some monstruous amounts of cpu power for the last few months.
I hope they crush their competition on the CASP trials. :D

tralala
06-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Rosetta has been getting some monstruous amounts of cpu power for the last few months.
I hope they crush their competition on the CASP trials. :D
The available Tflops grew nicely over the past three months, however the goal is to grow as big as Folding@home. They aim for 150 Tflops/day and have all the components in place to utilize that power (funding, hardware, manpower and scheduled research).

I'm sure CASP7 will show the potential of Rosetta@home, however other teams are improving their strategies and resources as well so it might be close. We'll know in December.

vaughan
06-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Welcome back tralala :!:

We all helped Rosetta when it was the application of the week in our BOINC Spring Championship organised by NeoGen. =D<