PDA

View Full Version : Just puttin along...

Brucifer
05-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Still plugging away at the PSP sieving effort. Not that I pay any attention :) but I finally got above 7 meelion points on sieving. <Cheesy grin> Not that it alters the price of coffee, gas, or anything else of import on this planet. :) But for everyone that is still crunching away on the sieving effort, we are now full time in to supporting both the PSP and also SOB sieving efforts. So in that regard we have sorta doubled the bang for the buck, so to speak. And by the same token, PSP is getting help on it now from the Sob gang!

We can still use help at it to keep a #1 TEAM placement. In plain old English, this is one of the few projects where team AMD_Users is #1.

:greenjumpers:

So if yooou have an athlon of some type that you could spare for sieving, we could sure use the help. If you have an intel P4 or Celeron D just sitting around, it would sure help with LLRNET too! :)

Bruce

NeoGen
05-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Speaking of which, I really have to rewrite that PSP Sieving guide I did a while back... :oops:

Brucifer
05-14-2006, 11:38 PM
I am going to slow down some on this effort for a little while so I can devore some horsepower to getting the team's position in D2OL moved back up a little, and also looking at the same with TSC. Will still keep some effort here though, so don't think I'm abandoning it cause I'm not! :) Just taking a bit of a vacation is all. :)

The other thing is that the hot weather is getting ready to start in here, which will be boosting the monthly electric bill for the summer. So I'm keeping an eye on that over the next 3 1/2 months too. That time of year again.

Bruce

AMDave
05-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Look after that new compressor.
It'd be awful in summer without one at all. :-(

Wow. You are about to pass 8 million! :shock:

I'm still PRPing along. A few more contributors have joined the PRP effort which is great for ltd and the project. I'd put that down to the DC-Vault generating a more widespread interest across projects amongst the teams. None the less, it looks like Footmaster has led the way in PRP this last month and took #1 on 9th May.

It seems seiving is more fun to me, maybe because it is more interactive and I'm a control freak :lol:

Brucifer
05-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Heh... isn't a new compressor, still the same compressor, just some new switches for line pressure/temp. Knocking furiously on wood -- it has been cooling good these last three days with the temperature cracking into the hundred degree F range.

But yep, going to take it easy with it. Much more of this and stuff will be getting shut down as the electricity bill will be/is shooting sky high. :(

I put more systems back on psp also. Only have three of them on the d2ol stuff.

Brucifer
05-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Had a really bad electrical storm last night, took out some systems (amd-64). Temperature has been up in the 100's a couple days now, having to run the A/C 100% of the time. Really bummed out and seriously thinking about just shutting down for the summer. Getting a little expensive to support the farm and this hobby. :(

Nflight
05-20-2006, 07:16 PM
I am thinking about tuning down my systems to so they run better or more efficiently. I would like to have both system up and running but without the unecessary 8 fans in one system, seems a little over done to me!

I have come up with a cooler suggestion, my best thought would be to look at a water block cooler and a Water Chiller. This way your system would run even if the temps in the house hit 100°F.

pm Mitro he has insight to understand the Water Chiller and its abilities! I am just a newbie at Water!

dAVE
05-20-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm no expert but be VERY careful if you use a chiller rather than a radiator. Unless you have dry desert heat you could get condensation and blow everything sky high. :eeeeek: Dave.

AMDave
05-21-2006, 02:30 PM
The condensation issue is also why it is not wise to remove all your food from the kitchen fridge, insert your PC and shut the door.

Besides, it might get really expensive to live on fast food for the ensuing days :!:

However, Nflight has me thinking... I used to have fish. In a fish tank. The shops have lots of tanks on the same water and air exchange and cleaning systems. It occurs to me that I haven't yet seen an extensible liquid-cooling system that might be applied to SMP rack servers or a series of adjacent PCs. Has anyone manufactured this already or do I expect too much?

vaughan
05-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Brucifer have you considered one of these?

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=RL-MUA-E8U1%20/%20EBU1&other_title=RL-MUA-E8U1%20%2F%20EBU1AQUAGATE%20Mini%20R80%20%2F%20R12 0

Brucifer
05-21-2006, 07:29 PM
That's a nice simple one. However, I'm in the spot of about 20 systems in the same room, so there is quite a bit of heat generated. The bottom line is that anything that exhausts heat into the same room isn't helping to solve the basic problem.

I was thinking more along the lines of what AMDave was mentioning or moving to. What I need is a good sized tank that in turn is the reservoir for multiple systems, with a large radiator/fan setup either under the house or outside, so that the heat is moved someplace else.

Of course the wife"s solution to this is "just turn them off." :shock:

Brucifer
05-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Looks like Greenbank is taking over as the maximum siever with his G5 stuff. He turned in a good sized range as completed earlier today. More power to him. If I was a rich man, I'd run right out and buy 3 or 4 of them buggers, but I'm not. Still haven't recovered from the lost of my amd-64 3700 for that matter. Anyway, it's doubly sweet for Greenbank since he also wrote the client for the G5 sieving which is no small feat in itself!! So congrats greenbank!! :)

vaughan
05-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Wow Brucifer - 20 of the critters. I thought my office was cosy enough with 15 of 'em. I turned off 2 of the slowest boxes. My wife is growing suspicious that I'm taking over the loungeroom now as I have managed to put 2 laptops out there. Sort of eerie when you look around the house now and there are computers in just about every room. What you say not EVERY room? Well I'm working on it.

Nflight
05-23-2006, 03:57 AM
However, Nflight has me thinking... I used to have fish. In a fish tank. The shops have lots of tanks on the same water and air exchange and cleaning systems. It occurs to me that I haven't yet seen an extensible liquid-cooling system that might be applied to SMP rack servers or a series of adjacent PCs. Has anyone manufactured this already or do I expect too much?

The thought I had was to connect the two systems with a repetitive hose feed system where by I can use one large heat exchanger to extract the heat somewhere else, either heat the water in the Hot Water Heater or expell the heat outside. Now this means that the first CPU would not see the second CPU due to the increase of heat from the first. Kind of like a gang effect, 2 seperate loops of heat transfer but double stack of radiators with one huge blower/sucker to expell the heat. I will have to think on this but maybe we could ask some experts in the field and see what they think of our hormoneous ideas?

Your Thoughts

Brucifer
05-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Wow Brucifer - 20 of the critters. I thought my office was cosy enough with 15 of 'em. I turned off 2 of the slowest boxes. My wife is growing suspicious that I'm taking over the loungeroom now as I have managed to put 2 laptops out there. Sort of eerie when you look around the house now and there are computers in just about every room. What you say not EVERY room? Well I'm working on it.

And I've got parts around so I could add to the collection, but like you I have a wife and she isn't letting me expand..... :(

vaughan
05-23-2006, 06:43 AM
... but like you I have a wife and she isn't letting me expand..... :(

She's working on that by cooking fantastic meals - hi Lisa O:)

I managed to persuade her to join in the fun of using computers. She is running her web-site and business on-line now. http://www.amdusers.com/danny/I-oftheneedleButton1Small.jpg (www.i-oftheneedle.com)

Boy do I get into strife if I "waste out" our download limits "running somebody else's projects" when she wants to use the internet.

:)

Brucifer
05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Mine isn't into the computer thing at all. If the internet rotted away she wouldn't even notice it. :(

Strongbow
05-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Mine's much more dangerous! ...she thinks she understands computers! in fact she thinks that she is a great driver as well (even though she ripped the bumper off her Land Rover in our drive last week! :roll: