PDA

View Full Version : TV Card

drezha
05-07-2006, 05:15 PM
I'm looking for the final component of my my media center, the TV card.:)

Now I read a review in PC FOrmat the other day and it recommended the Dabs Value PVR Card (one in the review was DVB-T300)

Now I cant find that on there website.
Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

Want a PCI one, be an analogue and DVB-T tuner and preferably come with MCE type software.

This one was another one high on the list. Anyone had any experience with it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009YCMQM/ref=br_lf_ce_16/203-1016467-3914326

NVM
05-07-2006, 05:28 PM
all my TV cards are built onto my video cards(ATI AIW). they are awesome and save a pci slot too.

drezha
05-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Dont want to upgrade my video card.

It's a FX5200 and it'll stay that way probably...ATI has awful linux drivers according to the HTPC guide I used...

Strongbow
05-07-2006, 06:01 PM
I've got a USB DVB-T one from my company, they only sell it in Germany though. It's fine with USB2.0, no problems whatsoever apart from you will need a decent aerial - preferably the one connected on top of your house to get all the channels.

This one is similar http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ALAWQ6/qid=1147024726/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-2394021-4521201

drezha
05-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Cheers
Probably go for that Pinnalce one from Amazon...

Or maybe a Hauppage one...not sure yet. well I really need a analogue one (with DVB-T hopefully) because AFAIK there's no plans for a set top digi box to get the digi stuff...

(or will I be able to pick up freeview on a DVB-T card?

Strongbow
05-07-2006, 09:00 PM
The DVB-T is for the freeview UK version. DVB-T stands for Digital Video Broadcast Terrestrial so it is for the aerial not the dish or cable!

You'll have no problems but look for HD Ready as well (most of them are now)!

drezha
05-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Cheers blackheath.

I wont bother with a HDTV one as I expect we wont be getting HDTV for a while.

This is a student house after all...we're only getting a media center because I wanted to build a PC and it had to have some reason other than just crunching! :lol: We'll be one step ahead of everyone else just for having freeview! :twisted: :lol: (In fact, I'm providing the media center PC, the others are providing a screen, projector and sound system :P ) Makes you wonder how students pass there exams!:roll:

That Pinnacle one does look best as it encompasses everything we need without going out and buying a copy of Windows Media Center + IR reciever and the like.

dAVE
05-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Don't get the KWORLD DVB-T 300U. I have the USB2 version. It was listed on the Microsoft site as a "partner product" but it is not recognised by XP Media centre so you have to use the separate KWORLD software. Why have a media centre PC if you cannot play the TV through the media centre?
The other problem is that the drivers are not signed by microsoft so XP won't install them. If you use KWORLD'S instalation software then, when you switch off, you get a warning that XP cannot write the configuration file. When you next switch on all the drivers are gone. If you find a good PCI tuner then please post here so that I don't waste £55 next time. Best of luck, Dave. :-(

drezha
05-09-2006, 05:02 PM
took delivery of a Leadtek DTV1000T PCI card todayt. Yet to try it. Need to pick up an aeril cable as I forgot to get one... :roll:

I'm not using MCE. I've got normal XP. It's a custom made machine I did so everything was what I could get. :cool:

Will let you know ASAP :) (Novatech had them in for just under £50 with postage included.