PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario

vaughan
08-27-2003, 08:20 AM
Does anyone know a site that compares laptop (notebook computer performance? I'm considering a Compaq Presario 2133AC with mobile Athlon XP 2400 CPU. It has only 256 MB DDR RAM 133 whatever that is. Can I get more RAM for it or do I have to buy proprietry HP/Compaq RAM chips?

Arminiusc
08-27-2003, 06:55 PM
The ddr ram 133 is probably pc2100 memory. 133 at double data rate is 266mhz which would be pc2100.
I would think that it would use standard ddr so-dimms... although I have been wrong on occasion. :D
I would think it only has one memory expansion slot and it probably already has half the memory in that slot... so you will prob have to swap it out to upgrade.
This is just my thoughts... I am not familiar with that notebook so I might be wrong. :)

vaughan
01-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Well the Compaq Presario 2133AC decided to go Black Screen of Death on me. Sometime during 12/31 to 1/1 it crashed badly and even re-starting Windows XP Home with the R option from the CD failed to fix it. I had to re-install WXPH. I guess it didn't handle running 17 or Bust 24/7 for the last few days.

Anonymous
01-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Maybe it got too hot? I know laptops get very very hot.

Bionic_Redneck
01-01-2004, 03:40 PM
I imagine XP's will get on the hot side but not all laptops run hot. Via may have the perfect platform for a laptop. cpu is no where close to being as powerful as an XP but heat output is low enough where a fan is not required on the heatsink and doesn't require as much power so battery life is extended.

Anonymous
01-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Yes all laptops do get hot if they have any procssing power at all. Yeah if they suck in a tenth of the power of regular laptops I'm sure they won't, take the Centrino from Intel. Over 1.5 times the battery life and a top clock speed of around 1.7 which for an Intel means it sucks. AMD is no different, take in a little power produce a little power and a little heat. Take in a lot of power produce a lot of power and a lot of heat.

vaughan
01-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Well after the Win XP Home re-install its running OK. Still hot but I have it sitting on the top of a PC case working on my theory that the metal will help act as a heatsink. Also its little fan is whirring away so I know its trying to autocool. I've also got the airconditioning on maximum cooling so the room temp is 22°C.