PDA

View Full Version : Those BBC idiots.

Frederic Brillouet
05-20-2006, 12:34 PM
After a good crunching time of QMC I had decided to go back to the BBC project. After like 20 error messages, today's was the last drop. I'm not the sort of person to be played around with and, though I know my little computer won't matter very much to their project, as from today I refuse to crunch their project ever again. I want to keep this post clean, so I won't start swearing, but I'm sure that the whole neighbourhood has been enjoying my little eruption. Even my trustworthy computer has had it's share in the excitement and is now permanently bearing a nice dent on top of the case (I know that that wasn't sensible, but I couldn't get my hands on one of those goons from the bbc project within the hour, so they can call themselves lucky). :evil:

Evil-Dragon
05-20-2006, 12:49 PM
The BBC app can be slightly unstable sometimes... you should backup your BOINC folder regularly to ensure that if you model fails for some reason then you can just restore back to the backed up folder.

Personally i haven't had any problems yet.

dAVE
05-20-2006, 12:59 PM
I know exactly how you feel Frederick. My first model was killed because no one had thought to run the program right through to see if it would work before releasing it. My second model died in 1948. I went to backups made for years 1946 and 1940 but they both died in 1948 too. Like you I gave up. Dave.

Strongbow
05-20-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm in no rush to crunch for them again either! ...I'll sit it out for a while to see if any more major glitches are found!

drezha
05-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Well TBH thats CPDN all the way through to be honest guys ;)

The models are never garuteed to make it to the end. This is the standard one as well. Never bothered me. I assume it just means the sea's have boiled or something majorly bad like thats happened :P Of course it could have errored on my PC but not had problems anywhere else (not overclocked)

Besides you get the credit every trickle. Hate to say it dAVE but you probably screwed yourself over a bit there reapeating the same results to get to 1948 again. Thats what I'm on about...from looks it error's out at 1948 in that model because everyone got screwed...

I used to run it for a good 6 months at some point and in that time I completed 1 WU. :roll: ;) It's all part and parcel of the actually project.

Frederic Brillouet
05-20-2006, 03:49 PM
But in my case, the model is running for 2 minutes max and then it crashes. Lucky for them they don't live near me.

drezha
05-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Cant see any reason for that from viewing your PC on BOINC stats
http://www.boincstats.com/stats/host_graph.php?pr=cce&id=179447

Is the PC overclocked in any way? Any failures in other projects?

Frederic Brillouet
05-20-2006, 07:04 PM
It's oc'ed to 2.2 GHz (can't go to 2.3 or it won't boot). QMC has been runnign on it for 3 weeks or so in that state and it hasn't failed me in that period.

drezha
05-20-2006, 08:32 PM
I believe CPDN is very sensitive to OC'ing.

I've not OC'd my PC at all and I dont intend to.

Frederic Brillouet
06-25-2006, 08:17 PM
When my new computer arrives, that conroe will be oc'ed when the burn in period of the arctic silver has finished. Hey, if cpu's weren't meant to be oc'ed, the core frequency woul be locked, wouldn't it?

spikey_richie
06-26-2006, 03:04 AM
I gave up on this project ages ago. Can't get it connect to the server anymore.

ElijahJulia
05-16-2007, 05:22 PM
This forum is awesome!

drezha
05-16-2007, 05:43 PM
woo, bot spam.

Lagu
05-16-2007, 08:27 PM
I have Banned this spammer permanently.

Thanks
Lagu:icon_neutral: