PDA

View Full Version : Magic Button

vaughan
03-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Their site is wrong, it says:
The button is in fact a micro-application commonly called a "Java applet". During your visit to any website carrying this button, your computer is part of world wide effort to demonstrate the weakness in a commonly used security technology called MD5.
While you are visiting, the button will only operate if there is absolutely nothing else to be done on your computer. Once you leave a website with the button, the button goes away and not bother you

In fact the Java Aplet takes over 99% cpu. I had SOB running when I visited the md5crk site. When I checked CPU usage was 99% Iexplore at Normal priority. I bumped it to Idle and 17 to Above Normal but Iexplore still stole 99%.

Can someone who has registered on the MD5CRK forum please point this lie out to them. I haven't bothered joining their forum because of this.

Bionic_Redneck
03-14-2004, 12:11 PM
hell no! they ain't getting my cycles. I was kind annoyed with the fact that they are usng people cpus without permission and there even advertising it.

Update: I went over to the md5crk site and that app doesn't work on my computer. I check and fah was going full speed. I even tried to get it to work by clicking the button. Dude I could really rack up the point with all the IE users here if I put one of those on our site. :twisted:

em99010pepe
03-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Remember this topic (http://amdusers.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=314&sid=0d82001c2cf60a77995901093a78902a)?

The main problem was that java applet.

Jeff
03-14-2004, 02:01 PM
Ew, that site makes me sick. I don't think I'll be going back there.

funny though, on the About the Magic Button FAQ, it says that the applet will run ONLY when there is NOTHING else to do on your computer. Funny, I was running my DC Project and it took over like crazy!

Bionic_Redneck
03-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Windows is owned by MD5crk