PDA

View Full Version : Which NextGen console

Strongbow
05-30-2006, 02:31 PM
XBOX360, PS3, Wii :roll:

Loads of Marketing...
Loads of Press Hype...
Loads of Nonsense!

If you were going to go out and buy one of the next Gen consoles at the end of this year, which one would you choose and why?

I like the specs of the PS3 but I'm a Nintendo fan so I'm already confused!

I'd probably buy a PS3 (even though I'd have no time to play it!) just because of the Cell processor and the possibility of it being a half decent crunching animal if BOINC gets ported to it - the BluRay HighDef could be a way round my Wife in justifying the toy - doubtful but worth a try all the same!!! :roll: ...it would have to be Vision Gran Turismo as the first game purchase!!!

I do like the innovative controller on the Wii, or at least it sounds cool, as long as the games live up to the hype. But I would base the Wii solely (and rightly) on the games so would probably wait until a few decent ones were available!

XBOX360??? I've played it and so far have not been impressed! ...it needs much more innovative and technically advanced games to get me interested and to make me change my mind! The XBOX Live is getting better all the time but it's not enough to sway me from the other two!

There you go, all that waffle above has finally made me decide to go for a PS3. Thank you very much!

:lol:

NeoGen
05-30-2006, 03:59 PM
When a new console comes out most of their launch games are simple ports of the previous console game with slightly better graphics to make it look new, when it actually isn't.
You have to wait at least a year before game devs actually learn how to take full potential of the new console's chips... :roll:

Steve Lux
05-30-2006, 04:25 PM
I can't justify the expense, so I voted "None of the Above". I don't play many games, and those that I do are computer (PC) games.

Electabots
05-30-2006, 05:33 PM
I think the ps3 would be cool if you could crunch with it, otherwise i'm good with my pc. Already have high def with my video card via dvi, and all the games i need :)

gamer007
05-30-2006, 09:33 PM
If I ever get enough money. I'll definately get the PS3. Mainly since Metal Gear Solid 4 is on it. I can wait since it's not a launch title (Any launch titles besides Resistance?). With Linux in it, I'm hoping it will be hacked and perhaps run BOINC and stuff on it. ;)

The Wii sounds great too. Very unique.

Evil-Dragon
05-30-2006, 09:58 PM
I voted, even though I have no intention of buying another games console... ever.

Companies forget that the PC still exists as a gaming console... they are just too shortsighted on making money.

gamer007
05-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Can't forget about that. I hate how game companies make games to cater to the casual gamers on consoles. Then port it to us with the PCs. Then we get the crappy user interfaces, less beautiful (possibly) graphics/sounds, etc.

All these companies want is money and nothing else. They don't care how the game looks, they just want to hype it up and sell lots for $$$. I'm just glad companies like CryTEK will be sticking with the PC. :)

taters
05-31-2006, 10:04 AM
I voted PS3, because it looks awesome in many ways - awesome previews for games, awesome technology (hardware) and a neat box.
However, I have no intention of buying one as I am a die-hard PC fan. My entire (gaming) life I have been playing games with a keyboard and later a mouse + keyboard. I absolutely love the possibilities with the amount of keys you have (I remember having over 20 binds, not even that high of a number, for Quake 3).
On the other hand with console controllers I always have hard time, I really do not like the joystick-type ("thumb-stick" ?) aim. I wish I could play some game PC vs Console and show my friends that I can whoop their arses with a mouse with little to no effort (a lot of em claim that controllers are absolutely amazing and are much better than keyboard+mouse, while when I see them play I notice many moments where I could do one thing or another much better on a PC).
There is also a bunch of other reasons why I like PCs better - I can do a lot more with it and play games without needing an extra gadget, all my favorite games are for PC, games on consoles are not as easily moddable (example, Oblivion on XBox360 vs PC) or not moddable at all (example, Morrowind).
I also like the fact that I can upgrade my PC - if I find game's performance unacceptable I can add stuff or build a better system and have that game run flawless. But with consoles you either have to wait for the next gen and hope it will be backwards-compatible, or stick with tuned down graphics and features due to performance issues... and still have it run terrible. (example, a game based on the Sopranos series for PS2 - forgot the name of it).

In conclusion,
Go PCs! Woot! :D

Murray
05-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Never owned a console, never intend to. PC games and PCs in general are so much better, versatile and useful...nuff said :cool: