PDA

View Full Version : PrimeGrid is having issues...

Murray
05-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Those that are crunching for Primegrid, I am sure will agree that the project is having some major issues!

Firstly the server and its hardware is inadequate and secondly I think the project needs more focus.

Therefore I propose two things:
The first being that those who haven't done so already (if they can) please donate some cash to the buying of RAM for the project {see the projects donations page} so that it can get back on track.

The second being the very nature of the project... Primegrid is participating in the RSA factoring challenge and for the current module which needs to be solved, there is $100,000 prize money. However the project leaders have not used this fact to thier advantage, principly by dancing around the issue of what to do if PrimeGrid wins any money. [See the project forums to see what I mean]

I propose, as one of the leading teams in the project, we draw up a plan for the betterment of the project and present it to the guys running the project. This would encorperate a plan for how the money would be divided if it is won...eg. 40% goes to a project trust to buy new servers, pay for hosting etc... so that finance will never be an issue again, 20% to charity, cos we are nice people and 40% is divided among the user who finds the winning WU and his/her team. Not only would this ensure the financial security of the project. It would also get more users interested and result in the rallying of more teams, considering there is money involved. Ultimately resulting in PrimeGrid having a greater chance of winning the RSA challenge...

What does everyone think?

NeoGen
05-31-2006, 05:53 PM
If they are still trying to brute-force the RSA challenge, as they were initially, then it's no use making plans for the way to split the money because the chances are very small that they find the RSA prime numbers still in this century! :?

But, the idea of helping out the project is very good. PrimeGrid is not just trying to crack the RSA Challenge. It's actually a project to convert the boinc server code to Perl (PerlBoinc). The purpose of it is that developers familiar with Perl, but not with PHP, can also be able to set up Boinc projects. (I've also heard some loose bits about the hosting fees for PHP capable servers being higher? I have not a clue about that, just heard it somewhere)

Murray
05-31-2006, 09:25 PM
If they are still trying to brute-force the RSA challenge, as they were initially, then it's no use making plans for the way to split the money because the chances are very small that they find the RSA prime numbers still in this century! :?

Okay, I thought it was actually not as hard as you make it out to sound...

Silly Me :oops:

NeoGen
05-31-2006, 09:58 PM
I actually did some researches of my own on the subject... the number of primes to test on the 106 digits range is colossal, and just to find them is in itself another huge task. (RSA-704 is 212 digits long, most likely is composed by 2x106 digits primes)

As I've seen on a Q&A webpage...

There are enough prime numbers that RSA users will never run out of them. The Prime Number Theorem states that the number of primes less than or equal to n is asymptotically n/log n. This means that the number of prime numbers of length 512 bits or less is about 10^150, which is a number greater than the number of atoms in the known universe.
And PrimeGrid is working on the RSA-704 which is 704 bits long... not 512! :shock:

vaughan
06-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Is PG still down?

I posted yesterday on the Message boards but Rytis hasn't done anything yet.

Evil-Dragon
06-26-2006, 12:46 PM
They'll never win anything if they can't keep their servers running. I've got more chance of cracking the 4th section of Kryptos before they find the correct prime for the RSA challenge.

(If you don't know what Kryptos is then perhaps you can help crack the 4th part... don't worry it's been going for 15 years now, still no plaintext solutions)

Murray
06-28-2006, 07:50 PM
I have requested two basic changes to the way Prime Grid opperates...please eco my sentiments in a show of support:

"Hi Rytis,
I have two requests and I think these will be ecoed by many other PrimeGrid BOINC users...

1.) Supply us with a constant supply of WUs
2.) Increase the deadlines on repeated WUs

Regards
Murray"

http://www.primegrid.com/orig/forum_thread.php?id=385

vaughan
06-29-2006, 09:32 AM
I have been getting an error message on several PCs running PrimeGrid which I have not encountered before:

6/29/2006 7:32:24 PM|PrimeGrid|Message from server: Invalid or missing account key. Visit this project's web site to get an account key.

Edit/ I tried accessing the official project Message Boards but cannot connect. I get:

Table './boinc/user' is marked as crashed and should be repaired
Warning: mysql_fetch_object(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/www/boinc/inc/database/mysqldatabasehandler.php on line 456

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/boinc/inc/util.inc:100) in /home/www/boinc/inc/util.inc on line 97

so I guess the project is having some problems just now.

Oh well, time to crunch something else ... there's plenty to select from.

Murray
06-29-2006, 03:00 PM
The entire project is down...in its entirity...and what is the projects admin doing instead of running his own project he is helping BOINC Chess or whatever it is called set thier project up... :evil:

I am going to vote with my crunching power and move on... :mad:

vaughan
06-30-2006, 02:15 AM
Its working again now.

NeoGen
07-05-2006, 10:52 PM
So guys... is PrimeGrid fully stable now?

I'm still in need of at least one more stable project for a race... :)

Murray
07-08-2006, 07:52 PM
So guys... is PrimeGrid fully stable now?

I'm still in need of at least one more stable project for a race... :)

Hi sorry for the late reply have been busy the last few weeks...

Yes PG is finally stable they have fixed thier server WU problems and have just installed two more gigs of RAM on thier server. The project has been running very stable for the past two weeks or so and has not crashed once...

Maybe it is worth a look into... :cool:

Regards
Murray

Murray
07-08-2006, 08:03 PM
The first being that those who haven't done so already (if they can) please donate some cash to the buying of RAM for the project {see the projects donations page} so that it can get back on track.

Not to blow my trumpet or anything...but rather to show that I am not all talk and no walk...on top of the $10 I donated for the new server I donated 20 Euros for the new RAM which will hopefully keep the project on track. Considering I am a student and the South African Rand is not strong...this is what I could afford in my personal capacity...

If anyone who also wants this project to succeed and BOINCstats to run optimally (because PG and BOINCstats. share a server)....I urge you again to consider donating...

Regards
Murray

Hermann
07-08-2006, 09:16 PM
If anyone who also wants this project to succeed and BOINCstats to run optimally (because PG and BOINCstats. share a server)....I urge you again to consider donating...

This project won't succed if they don`t change the method how to treat donaters. I have sent only a small amount (15 Euros) on the 26 of June by PayPal. A couple days later I could not find any sign of my donation at the "donators history" page.
So I wrote an email to the receiver of the money (an email adress in the netherlands I assume). No response. :evil: :evil: :evil:
During the next few day two more emails to Rytis. Guess what??? :evil: :evil: :evil: No response. All I wanted to know was, wether the 15 Euros had been received. I don´t care about that little golden crown - like others do. But at least I expect that my name appears in the list of donators which would let me know that the donation has arrived at the right place. I would not mind to donate more to cover the monthly charges for July and even
August. That won´t hurt me. But I don´t like that ignorant behavior . It´s just not correct to treat donators like that. I hope that Rytis reads this post and starts - if he finds the time - to be more responsive.
Cheers
Hermann

NeoGen
07-08-2006, 09:53 PM
I hear that Rytis is swamped with work, as he's working on PrimeGrid and Chess960 at the same time. (Plus his real life job, and responsabilities)
Don't despair there Hermann... if he's away or something he'll return eventually and answer your emails. We just have to be patient. :roll:

Guys, don't forget, PrimeGrid is the next race! :) (July 10 00:00 -> July 14 23:59)