PDA

View Full Version : Other Teams.

minicam
03-21-2004, 04:01 AM
For the good of keeping DC'ing in a fun & friendly competitive atmosphere, please refrain from posting on other teams forums your ideas of which projects that team needs to participate in & how they should go about managing their own programs.

I will not mention names, but a member of the Admin/Moderater group from this team has decided that is part of his job description. Although I feel the different forums should welcome ALL persons, members or not, for friendly chatting, trying to take the role of a decision-maker for that team is just plain rude.

I'm sure this type of behavior from visitors wouldn't be welcome right here, just as it is also uncalled for in other forums.

Thank you.

Jeff
03-21-2004, 04:28 AM
Minicam,

What Vaughan said was absolutely true. A few days ago, Scott Hudson posted this:

UCI Alignment is a test project. The data has been processed many times over. The only usefullness of runnning UCI Alignment is to jack up your scores on the leaderboards right now. The project's description explains this

http://www.ubero.com/projectprofile.asp?pid=4

We are working on new projects, yes, but haven't given any committed release dates yet. We are busy with a lot of other things now, but we will notify everybody once we have more to share

Scott Hudson is the founder of Ubero.

Now, I will gladly post this information to your forum...

vaughan
03-21-2004, 06:35 AM
Yeh minicam, then why are so many members of other teams members of the AMD Users forum then? As I said in my post I clearly stated I did not want to start a flaming thread but some of your members and a moderator extrapolated my comment the wrong way. I'm sorry if I upset some of them. However, I posted as Vaughan and not Vaughan AMD Users Site Admin. The more mature post by Fritz is what I expected from a team with obviously more GHz to crunch with than we have. I was not trying to ban anyone from choosing to run Ubero. I correctly stated it was false to compare our limited participation in Ubero eg in my own case a P233, with hyperthreaded P4s or other high end CPUs. I don't see why I should stop any of my team mates from participating in Ubero just because US-D wants to "have fun" and jump a few ranks. In case you haven't noticed we are currently running a Poll to determine which project we decide to prioritise.
I can see why Bok deserted you if you have team mates with attitude that fly off the handle so readily and start making pseudo medical jibes about visitors from other teams.
At AMD Users we have had very cordial visits and posts from fellow DC crunchers such as Madcat. He chooses to crunch for another team but has our respect. Similarly, many team members of Free-DC have our respect and thanks for providing excellent DC stats and forums. Its a pity that SOME US-D team members can get petulant so quickly.

minicam
03-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Your reaction would have been identical if I had came over here & told this team something like this:

"Why are some of you crunching BOINC? It's only a Beta & your points are going to be reset anyway."

or

"Why is your team playing ChessBrain? It's just a GAME with no REAL benefit for mankind."

or

"You AMDUSER's are wasteing time on SETI. It's practically dead anyway."

That was your tone in the post. You get my point? It's not my business why this team is doing those projects. That's YOUR business & what you do is fine with me.
All teams loose members occasionaly, as is ya'lls case with JLFlorance. All teams also gain members, often from other teams.
Discussing your OWN strategy on your OWN forum hurts no one. If you take it outside your forum, other than just light-hearted challenges & such, then you've crossed a line.
AMDUSER's was actually my very 1st DC-Team, about a year ago with SETI. I didn't stay long before heading to USD--for no particular reason--but it turned out to be a very good decision. It's a tight & powerful team with members of all sizes, from 1-cruncher farms up to probaly 100 systems.
We visit other forums & welcome visitors to our forum, as long as they respect the fact that it is OUR home, just as you would expect me to act here.
I'm almost certain that if you reread your post, then our replys, and also my NICELY (even said "please" & "thank you") worded request about this deal (and your "editing" it with the little green flag-something that would NEVER be done at USD), you'll see that your initial remarks over there were met with a totally justified response from us.
If you still see it as OK to do these type of things in another forum, I guess that's fine--it's your keyboard--but you shouldn't be surprised when the other team retaliates appropriately.

Happy Crunching.

vaughan
03-21-2004, 08:15 AM
Your post hasn't been edited by me. Also there is no "last edited by ..." on it. I was surprised when I saw the green flag emoticon too (it seems as much as you).
I have strongly discouraged my team mates (and anyone else who cares to listen) not to run BOINC. I agree it is not ready yet. If they want to run it, that's their prerogative.
Chess is a great game - try it you'll like it.
Seti still seems to be running new tasks last time I checked, so I guess by my definition it is still "active" or "live" or "useful".

You seem to miss the point I was making. From the outset of my post I didn't want it to be misconstrued (as it was by Steve-O, OffAMyChain, mhc & Ripper) as I said I didn't want to flame. However, my point was with Ripper's comparison of stats output per cpu in a dead project.

As far as I recall, but I may be incorrect on this, JRFlorance (not JLFlorance as you stated) wasn't a member of AMD Users. He/She was a very annoying "team jumper" that upset the friendly stats race some of us were having with Free-DC at that time by frequently moving from one team to another. Today, appropriately imo, they are a member of Team Flutter.

I might put some GHz on Ubero one day, not to compete with US-Distributed, more to retain my hard earned World Rank. I might use it to test my systems can still be competitive with other crunchers. I might want to catch twistedwire or stay ahead of Enomi - that's my decision. As Fritz said its your electricity so you can choose whatever you want to run. I didn't say "US-Distributed must not crunch Ubero". I said it was a dead project and that other projects are more useful (to mankind).

As for appropriate "retaliation" I think that mhc and Ripper's posts were uncalled for. I think that Fritz did the right thing and locked the thread before the one-sided name-calling disintegrated further.

Happy Crunching to you too ;)

Keith75
03-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Well, I am not a Mod/Admin on this board or anything but I couldn't care less if some other teams members told us that type of info about a project. I would hate to be running something thinking I am doing some good only to find out it isn't! That is why I don't run Ubero or Seti anymore. I just thought I would throw in my neutral opinion. :roll:

chaz
03-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Nothing wrong with posting useful info in another forum when it comes too things like that, but most respectable crunchers would have the stones to register in their own name......And thats as far as Im going with this subject.

Bionic_Redneck
03-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Opinion are like assholes everyone has one and they usually stink but who cares if another team runs a non productive project. It's their computer and their power bill. It was pointed out that we have people still running ubero on our team :crazy:

Jeff
03-21-2004, 01:20 PM
I am going to say this before I lock this thread.

Vaughan's opinion was in no way inappropriate. What he did is no different than what John Doe could have said on USD Forums.

However, the lack of maturity of USD's part surprises me. USD blew it way out of proportion. Furthermore, if it only involved one person it should have stayed that way.

Just because they are registered users, moderators, or admins of AMDUsers.com does not mean that they lose their ability to say whatever they want, especially on other people's sites. So coming here and complaining did absolutely nothing, except make your team look like a bunch of whiners.

Jeff