PDA

View Full Version : Championship Excuses

Strongbow
06-07-2006, 04:57 PM
I've had a load of issues with my systems and my dsl connection today!

Lot's of auto reboots, systems going on standby for no reason and my net connection bouncing on and off all day! ...very strange!

Sniffed my network, checked my firewall logs, did a virus/trojan check and nothing unusual. Phoned my ISP, a good 20mins listening to elevator music, and they said it must be on my side (I'm sure it was just a recording that told me that as she did say it rather quickly!) :roll:

The only thing that is different today to any other is that it is a scorcher of a day outside although all my systems are at normal temps!?!?

The only systems that have been fine have been my laptops but only one of those is a cruncher all the others are for work. So I suppose it could have been power fluctuations on the mains! Any ideas anyone?

Oh well, lets see if it continues throughout the night and whether or not it drastically affected today's championship crunching effort! :cry: :?

Evil-Dragon
06-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Join the club, temperatures are awful here... my machines can cope with 29 degrees centigrade... it's me that can't stand the heat from having 2 computers on crunching at 100% belting out tons of heat.

I had to switch one off today, no doubt i will have to tomorrow as well.

Ototero
06-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Could you under-clock them? That should cut the heat output a bit.

Nflight
06-07-2006, 07:45 PM
I've had a load of issues with my systems and my dsl connection today!

very strange!

Sniffed my network, checked my firewall logs, did a virus/trojan check and nothing unusual. Phoned my ISP, a good 20mins listening to elevator music, and they said it must be on my side

The only thing that is different today to any other is that it is a scorcher of a day outside although all my systems are at normal temps!?!?

So I suppose it could have been power fluctuations on the mains! Any ideas anyone?

I have worked in the field and resoled issues like this due to irregular heat as a responsibility. Blackheath you must remember that there is more gadgets between you and the home office, even though your system in your home is cool and efficient there may be a box that lies between you and your ISP (God forbid it may be in the heat in a box on a pole somewhere). Frustrating yourself to no end will not do anyone very much good. You checked your system thoroughly it seems, but there is always something that is out of both you and the ISP's hands that could be the culprit. IF at first you don't succeed, try, try again, patience in seeing if the evening resolves the issue or if this is permanant frustration! Jingle me if you need a Cross Ocean Desk Top Support Help! YIM ok too

Evil-Dragon
06-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Could you under-clock them? That should cut the heat output a bit.

I could but it would probably only cut temps in my room by a degree... I wish my computers had their own room but it's my parents house so it's their rules.

I have learn't to live with fan noise, it's just the heat i cannot cope with.

vaughan
06-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Ah glee :!: its Winter here downunder. The air conditioner actually gets turned off occasionally now!

During last Summer I underclocked the P4 2.53s and the Athlon XP2100+ so that they would keep running. Otherwise they would either stop crunching (but appear to be running) or just randomly re-boot. They are all in a room with an air conditioning unit (split system Fujitsu). However, in the hot days of Summer this North facing room cannot cope with the heat load of 12+ PCs and Summer sun on the outside unit so the a/c can only bring the room to about 28°C. Its a comfortable 22°C now.

The P4 3.2 Prescott running in a Shuttle SB61G2 barebones box is amazingly cool and quiet. The 120mm fan only becomes obvious when I overclock it more than 6% at othertimes it is very quiet. Shuttle call their cooling system ICE and I reckon it works great.