PDA

View Full Version : S5 WUs

gamer007
06-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Got my 1st S5 WUs just now. For those who haven't got it, here are some info:

June 15, 2006
Einstein@Home has begun processing of a small number of test workunits using data from the LIGO S5 science run. This is the first LIGO data collected at the instrument's design sensitivity. We'll post more information in the 'Cruncher's corner' message board area as we begin to create more of these workunits.

I'll update this as our generation and testing of our first S5 workunits proceeds.

The names of these workunits are of the form h1_XXXX.X_S5R1x_* and l1_XXXX.X_S5R1x_*.

The application running these is called einstein_S5R1. This application incorporates many of the speedups and other code changes suggested by Akos. Note: please do NOT replace these stock executables with custom versions of 'albert'. They are not compatible.

There are two types of workunits: short and long. The short workunits have XXXX.X less than or equal to 0400.0.

There are also two types of data files: short and long. The short data files (l1_XXXX.X) are from the LIGO Livingston Observatory, and are about 4.5MB in size. The long data files (h1_XXXX.X) are from LIGO Hanford and are about 16MB in size. Note: once your computer downloads one of these data files, it should be able to do many workunits for that same file.

We are switching to a new uniform system for awarding credits. All users on all platforms will claim the same credit for each workunit, with an amount of credit proportional to the length of the workunit: 'equal credit for equal work'.

To try and increase the total amount of computing power available to the project, we have changed the target number of results and minimum quorum from 3 to 2. Only if the first two results from different hosts/users do not agree will additional work be generated.

Please be patient with us if we have to sort out last minute problems or other issues. We have been testing this privately for some time, so we are fairly confident that there are no significant issues that remain. Nevertheless, several of us on 'the cutting edge' are rather short on sleep!

Bruce

PS: please feel free to post questions here, but keep in mind that it may take some time before we have time to answer everything.

http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=4373

Another project takes the uniformed credits system. Does this mean optimized clients are a thing of the past?

mitchellds
06-15-2006, 07:08 PM
hmmm, I think I'll concentrate on some of our other group projects for awhile. :roll: :roll:

NeoGen
06-15-2006, 07:09 PM
As long as there is at least one project that doesn't apply that rule, optimized clients will always be useful. :)

Evil-Dragon
06-16-2006, 02:49 PM
S4 is finished according to http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/server_status.php

Here comes S5.

I've done one WU from S5 so far, it bumped up the WU time to 1hr 5 mins. That might have been a short WU though.

AMD-USR_JL
06-16-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm still crunching S4, can't wait to get some S5! :D

taters
06-17-2006, 03:57 AM
Was about to ask that question, but hey... it's already answered! :D
Mine is projected for 2:52 hrs. Plus it's an h1 - the big one... DAYUM! :shock:

vaughan
06-18-2006, 02:34 PM
I give up on this now that S5 tasks take 11 hours on my fastest computer. The previous tasks took 40 minutes or so.

I hate LRMs (Long Running Molecules) as they were known over at United Devices.

taters
06-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Dam, now all of mine are S5! :evil:
(Didn't get to crunch any, but there's 2 more regulars left... then it's all S5)
No more optimized Albert? Are these not going to use whatever optimizations (SSE/SSE2) were present in my client? :evil:
That's pretty weak if you ask me...

vaughan:
Heh... well.. this says it will take 160mins (S5) vs 40 mins (regular) to complete. Assuming it does not use SSE... it will take me about 50 hrs to do one WU, at which point I am out of Einstein. lol
Anyway, as I said I do not have any S5s done yet, so may be it ain't that bad. >_>

AMD-USR_JL
06-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Einstein@home hired Akosf to work for them. He is putting his optimizations in the S5 apps now. The new app auto detects which version to use (SSE, MMX, 3DNow!) then crucnhes with that. They increased the amount of stuff you crunch per WU, so it takes really long even with it being optimized.

gamer007
06-18-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't like long WUs either. I was hoping to continue S4 WUs for the last few hours of the E@H contest, but I got 2 S5s so I gave up.

Evil-Dragon
06-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Apprently they have made the WU's longer to save on database transactions and database space... the overall reaction from people on the Einstein forums isn't too brill at the moment.

I've put my two PC's into working on 13th Labour for a few days and will start doing some BOINC work again in a few days time.