PDA

View Full Version : Vista Trial

drezha
06-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Anyone else using this?

Finally got it and it's working! :D

No problems installing it what so ever. When I got it going, first thing I did was install the nVida drivers and that seems to be working fine.

Had a bit of trouble with the sound drivers but a windows update fixed that! 8) Everything seems nice and dandy ATM. Not tried games.

Nice touch that it excepts Microsoft Intellimouse explorer and multimeida keyboard without having to install the intellipoint software etc (just plug in and play whereas XP you had to install)

Got Avast running ATM but relying on Windows firewall at the minute..Any ideas on firewalls that will work with Vista?

Also seems to run the folding@home no nonense client console fine :)

Media player seems to skip everynow and then unfortunatly. Will see if I can play with memory settings or something.

The fact it has the media center part of me is leading me to think about juggling my PC's about. I've never gone linux fully before because uni wants all work on word and Open Office is significantly different to show up :( (Times New Roman needed etc) but I'm considering using this as my media center and gaming rig (already the gaming rig but I'll move it to the lounge) and I'll get what was my media center, install linux on it and use that as a surfing rig etc and use the laptop as a work machine (it CAN run Office 2003! :lol: Just!)

All in all, I like this a lot. Will try and use it for a good while now :)

IE7 seems nice and Windows Media 11 is also a much improved.
Got a rating of 2. Video card lets me down a bit.

gamer007
06-16-2006, 09:36 PM
I tried it on my current computer (AMD Athlon XP 1700+ @ 1.4GHz, 1gb RAM, 9600XT 256mb) for about 10 minutes. The desktop was slightly laggy, & so was the minimize animation.

My 1st impression is it looks great. The moment UAC (User Account Control) poped up, it annoyed me. I was admin! :? I don't need to popup asking if I want to change the resolution or whatever.

I'll be installing Beta 2 onto my new computer I hopefully be getting next week. :)

BlackAdder
06-16-2006, 09:37 PM
I've downloaded it but haven't burned the ISO yet to install ... will probably do it this weekend.I will report on what I find good or bad :D

spikey_richie
06-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Will try it this weekend on VMPlayer

Brucifer
06-16-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm not impressed, it just continues to reinforce my linux experience. Don't need a MS-lobotomy where one size fits all, *their* way. Just a further development towards Big Brother in computing... another level in how to ratchet up the costs of "ownership". I'll stick with XP-64. I've bought my last version of windows, and other than that it;s all linux.

AMDave
06-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Video card lets me down a bit.
It's not your card that's the prob. It's Vista - bloated, obese and greedy for more. And many of us will make a LOT of money supporting it and writing apps for it in the future, like we already do in the Wind-mill (sic.) From a support position I am drooling at the prospects

However, I am with Brucifer. No new WinO$ for my house.

taters
06-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Hehe, was reading about Vista. Is it true that it now asks you for your ungodly Admin password when you want to change something? Thought it looked much like something... something I know... oh, right, LINUX! :D
It sounds like a nice toy, but I like a minimalistic interface that I usually was able to achieve with previous WinOS' - cut out all the memory eating crap, leave only what's essential to me. (That means no alpha blending, no pretty colors, blah blah blah - just plain ol' grey bar).
However, Vista requires a friggin 3D video card + it recommends 128MB of memory on that thing! What does a GUI need 128MB of memory for?! >_<
(Read up on Aero)
I just hope they port DX10 to WinXP, so I could enjoy the goodness of games 2-3 yrs down the road.

gamer007
06-17-2006, 04:59 PM
When I tried it, it used around the same amount of memory as XP did, about 300mb on startup. Then again, my XP is cluttered w/ startup items and stuff.

I'll try to give a better lookout when I try it later.

Nflight
06-18-2006, 04:51 AM
All I have heard is that is a bloated OS and not worthy of its name. Most are appreciative of the Xp and then again most want to move over to Apple. I personally have had just 3 hours experience on the bloated Vista and would advise my fellow mates here on AMDusers to stay away from the crap. I thoroughly do not like so much extra crap in my operations. I prefer to go to Apple where life is easier then putting up with this crap.

And I mean Crap! I am unfortunately an MCDST so I know XP inside and out, I personally hate Vista with a passion.

Go Steve Jobs

taters
06-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Apple :?
Go Linus! :D
I just want to be able to rip all the extras out of Vista and be left with a barebone OS. (That means no aero for me, tfb).

BlackAdder
06-18-2006, 05:56 PM
I put it in this morning, took about 30 minutes. I have a Xp3200, asus A7n8x-E, 1.5 gig ram, ATI X1600 Pro. Everything looks very pretty, different in a good way I think, some of my parts won't work such as my Sil3112 raid controller and HP psc2110 printer. D20l wouldn't run cause of the Java which was downloaded with it, Boinc ran from another drive OK, some web sites won't cooperate such as CVS when refilling a prescription.It rates my video card higher than my CPU in the Vista compatability ratings.It seemed a bit sluggish but not enough for me to not want to use it. I still have to boot into XP PRO to take care of business...I will work with it more and see what else bugs me about it. :D

drezha
06-18-2006, 06:09 PM
After continued use, I reckon it's better than XP.

I WILL be upgrading (thats if they somehow stop people using Beta when the retail comes out :P )

BUT I will be relegating it to a media center PC and getting Linux PC as I mentioned.

UAC is easy to turn off and I have done. The admin thing was easy to sort out as well...I just tried to delete a file and it asked me for the admin thing but in the bottom left it asked to remember this so I clicked it and lo and behold, no admin pop ups :)

I have rid myself of the toolbar...didn't like it.

General running doesn't seem to bother it what so ever. Wouldn't call it bloated. Only once or twice has it slowed. And I took that to my placing Folding@home at a higher priortiy in the task manager (something XP said it could do but never did...so increased DC production marginally as you c an stop it being slowed as much by other processes..)

One major program I found that didn't work was MSN messenager :roll: or the Microsoft Intelli point software stuff cloes due to DEP and wont let me change keys even after adding it to the DEP exceptions :roll:

I don't see how it's a one size fits all really. Admittly not as changeable as linux...but then I've never really sat and played with linux majorly, just enough to know I like it.

No it doesn't ask for admin passord taters, it asks you to click next or simliar (as I said, I turned it off so dont have to :P) Minimalistic interface is achieves the same. I have a 64Mb RAM GFX card. (though I was led to believe it was 256Mb...f**king PC World...no wonder it cant run BF2 at higher res! :evil: )

Nflight, admittly this is a beta..they might tone some stuff down...

Java and quicktime aren't working right I believe. A known bug.