PDA

View Full Version : Dr.Murray's Wine Help Line

Strongbow
06-23-2006, 04:36 PM
C'mon Murray here's your chance to help us with your wine knowledge!

Summers here (almost) what do you recommend for BBQ parties at the moment.

Something light, refreshing and yet quickly gets everyone drunk is what I'm after! ...although I'm sure Sambuca can do most of the work on the drunk front!

Any advice will be quickly purchased ready for tomorrow! :D

Evil-Dragon
06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
I tend to drink a fair bit of Liebfraumich, it's nice depending on who makes it. At 10% it's fairly potent. :D

Murray
06-23-2006, 07:46 PM
C'mon Murray here's your chance to help us with your wine knowledge!

Summers here (almost) what do you recommend for BBQ parties at the moment.

Something light, refreshing and yet quickly gets everyone drunk is what I'm after! ...although I'm sure Sambuca can do most of the work on the drunk front!

Any advice will be quickly purchased ready for tomorrow! :D

:salute: At your service :D

Glad I can help you out, right so you are having a BBQ (Barbie if you come from Oz and Braai if you come from South Africa). Which means two things there is going to be a lot of meat eaten and alot of standing around cooking and socializing. Therefore you need reds and whites. I presume you like a mix of off-dry (semi-sweet) and dry wines.

Therefore I recommend a rose (with the dash above the e...don't know how to put it in on my keyboard). This wine is light, is not sweet but has a certain sweetness to it. (Read the back label of the wine to find out sweetness etc...) It is also light and popular with the ladies (as well as being trendy and a great summer drink). This is something to drink before the meal while socializing or with a salad etc...

Then I recommend a Sauvignon Blanc... which is a dry white but is light. Again a social or drink to have with starters or chicken...If you are BBQing chicken this is great.

Then for the main a meal a red is a must. I like Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon. Both can be fairly heavy...but are super tasty. Australian shiraz's are great and South African cabernets from the Stellenbosch region and world class \:D/ (doing a bit of a punt).

Or if you want a light dry red, very easy drinking but not overly interesting then go with good old merlot (some people who drink a lot of dry red wine find this variety on its own boring, but as a social drink its great but not exciting).

Thats my recommendation...if you tell me what other types of wine you like I could recommend something else.

Now because you live in the UK and have everyone in the world selling you wine you have a super range of choices. I would go with only new world wines (then again I am bias). This means nothing from europe...new world wines are generally more fruity and friendly to drink...Look for whites from New Zealand, reds and whites from Oz, South Africa, USA and South America always has some interesting wines, mainly reds though.

Hope I helped...

Glad to help you and anyone else interested or wanting advice Black... :) :cool:

Strongbow
06-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Top man Murray, thanks!

Just so you know, I like full bodied stuff so;

Chateauneuf de pape reds and whites (the whites are rare over here but often get it when we visit the little chateauneuf de pape village in France ...beautiful place if anyone gets the chance)

Decent Prem. Cru Chablis although my Wife loves Petit Chablis (she's pregnant so it's my choice this time :twisted: ) ...yet another fine village to visit in France!

...and my newly discovered taste for Argentinian Malbecs (haven't a clue what I'm drinking but I love them all!)

Murray
06-23-2006, 08:10 PM
I tend to drink a fair bit of Liebfraumich, it's nice depending on who makes it. At 10% it's fairly potent. :D

mmm...never heard of Liebfraumich...tell me more :)

Murray
06-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Top man Murray, thanks!

Just so you know, I like full bodied stuff so;

Chateauneuf de pape reds and whites (the whites are rare over here but often get it when we visit the little chateauneuf de pape village in France ...beautiful place if anyone gets the chance)

Decent Prem. Cru Chablis although my Wife loves Petit Chablis (she's pregnant so it's my choice this time :twisted: ) ...yet another fine village to visit in France!

...and my newly discovered taste for Argentinian Malbecs (haven't a clue what I'm drinking but I love them all!)

Ahhh...A man after my own heart...you are very lucky to live near France...you have very good taste. My favourite reds are Cab and Shiraz single varieties and Bordeaux blends...

Tell me what you bought and how it goes down tomorrow...

Congrats to you and your wife by the way :wav: :thumbleft:

Regards
Murray

vaughan
06-24-2006, 02:27 AM
Some of the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs from the Marlborough region are fantastic.

Lisa and I shared a nice red last night with a Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding. It was a Rohrlach Family Reserve Barossa Valley (South Australia) 2002 Merlot.

Frederic Brillouet
06-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Forget the difficult wines, get lots of beer (preferably Belgian -> Jupiler, Duvel for the ones that want to go KO). I guarantee you that there will be fun :D

Don't drink too much though, you'll end up like me. 2 weeks ago i woke up in the morning after a very heavy night university partying and i noticed someone dressed in white standing next to my bed. It appeared to be a nurse :shock: Afterwards I heard that I was brought to hospital by ambulance and that i wasnt responding anymore. Try to explain that to your parents :?

Strongbow
06-24-2006, 09:22 AM
They'll be plenty of beer - bought a few cases of Spitfire yesterday http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/index.html?beerid=4 ...about half the strength of Duvel (which is one of my favourites btw!)

Sounds like a right fine night you had there, it reminds me of the time I had to take my mate to hospital when he accidentally set his hand alight with Sambuca whilst carrying a tray from the bar. I of course passed out in the waiting room (was equally drunk) and woke up with a drip in my arm lying down in a ward! ...with lots of nurses frowning at me because I apparently put up a bit of a fight and was swearing a lot (don't remember doing any of that and it certainly is not the normal me!) :oops: ...my mate ended up having to wait several hours for me (so there is some justice)! :lol:

Frederic Brillouet
06-24-2006, 09:35 AM
WOOOOOW. My best mate sat next to my bed for 2 hours i heard afterwards. After 2 hours the hospital staff told him I just had to sleep and he could go home (4-5 am). He had to take a taxi because public transport was not working yet.

Your story beats mine by far though :lol:

Strongbow
06-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Ok Murray, here's what I've bought 6x each of (and in Murray's recommended order ;) )...

6xRiesling, Millers Grove from South Eastern Aus'
6x2004 Sauvignon Blanc, Acantus from Bodegas casa del Valle
6xLa Sirène, Costières de Nîmes
6xColibri Merlot, 2004 Mendoza

...and a bottle of Bolli for any pregnant lady (there'll be 4 of them) who just wants a small tipple!

oh yes, not forgetting the infamous Sambuca - to finish off the lads and to give the barbie a bit of omphh if it doesn't start! :lol:

Right then, off to the butchers for my meat now!!!

Ototero
06-24-2006, 09:55 AM
A nice beer we drink a lot is Desperado, comes from France, with a hint of tequila.

We buy it by the case load.

BTW, Liebfraumich comes from Germany, a medium sweet white wine, extremely quaffable.

Strongbow
06-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Lots of this :shaking: and this :pale: today!!!

...I can safely say that everything was consumed with some stupid cocktails made from absinth and sambuca added to finish off absoultely the last man standing (me!). Really paid for it today though!

I'm not well at all! :cry:

Murray
06-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Lots of this :shaking: and this :pale: today!!!

...I can safely say that everything was consumed with some stupid cocktails made from absinth and sambuca added to finish off absoultely the last man standing (me!). Really paid for it today though!

I'm not well at all! :cry:

Oh dear..mixing is bad...wine on its own unmixed isn't too bad when you have a lot of it :-(

Sorry to hear that Black...

Other then the hangover...how was the party? How was the wine taste and quality wise?

Good or bad recommendations?

Lagu
06-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Hi

The right spelling is Liebfraumilch and is a good light wine.
There is also Königsmosel a Moselvine 9% alcohol from Deutshland.
Another light wine is Bordeaux (Baron Philippe de rothshild) 12% alcohol from France.

I have the 2 last one but have never open them so I can´t tell how they are: dry, halfdry, sweet or halfsweet.

Lagu :)

Evil-Dragon
06-25-2006, 11:35 PM
I can never get the spelling right, lol :D