PDA

View Full Version : Linux reported to be quicker than Windows on this project

vaughan
03-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Is anyone able to verify this? How much quicker?

Bionic_Redneck
03-25-2004, 08:55 AM
I don't know exactly but my average time per a result seems alot lower than everyone elses. I put the diskless nodes on eon since the linux client for lifemappers sucks but server is not running anything instead I am rebuilding kde 3.2 had some problems with stability so I'm downgrading to non developmental packages. If bok's stats page is updated once an hour it looks like I should be able to get 2000+ per a day once I get the server running eon.

I got to thinking we should leave windows boxes on lifemapper but put the linux boxes on a project that is better developed for it. I don't think they have any serious plan to fix the problem with the lm client any time soon or I would say lets stick it out until that happens.

em99010pepe
03-25-2004, 09:59 PM
vaughan, you are not in the team ranking. Look here (http://eon.chem.washington.edu/groups/group_info.php?group=AMD+Users).

Anonymous
03-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, its weird as I show as with AMD Users on Bok'x Free-DC Eon stats page and when I logged on at Eon site I "joined" AMD Users and it said I was already a member. On saving this dialog box I then show up in the link you posted. Mysterious but hopefully fixed.

vaughan
03-26-2004, 10:15 AM
^
|_ that was me, I was logged in then it unlogged me.
Vaughan

Bionic_Redneck
03-26-2004, 10:47 AM
I had a few problems tried to restore an old backup using partimage screwed up my whole partition and had to do reiserfsck --rebuild-tree then I was missing some files I guess it got rid of them because they were corrupt then once I got that fixed eth0 stopped working after a reboot so I after looking for a while I decided to build kernel again now kernel didn't completely boot the system luckly I had a backup kernel so I used that one and poked around a little bit trying what things needed to be rebuilt tried emerge -e system so it would rebuild base and after so far it would need to go on the net and would die finially I tried building kernel again and this time it works and goes on the net so now I have just install eon again.
I hear mondo is a pretty popular backtool. I don't think I care for partimage.

em99010pepe
03-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Indeed very weird!

Bionic_Redneck
03-27-2004, 04:00 AM
I think I figured out what caused the problem. appearently to do a back up with partimage you have to have the partition unmounted that you are backing up. only one problem with that is you have to have / mounted to use linux. I downloaded the newest version of system rescue cd it's comes with qtparted and partimage.

vaughan
04-06-2004, 08:30 AM
Linux Mandrake 9.1 is much faster than Windows XP Home Edition at running EON.