PDA

View Full Version : Primegrid race

NeoGen
06-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Is everything set for the race? :)
If there have been no more problems since the last few days, then tonight I'll collect the initial values.

vaughan
06-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Murray and I have posted over at the PrimeGrid forum - no work available as the computer crashed. Rytis says its fixed but I cannot get any work.

Evil-Dragon
06-25-2006, 03:57 PM
I cannot get any work either, so much for racing...

MalariaControl might be a good candiate... work is available and account creation is open for at least 900 users.

NeoGen
06-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Yup, I just confirmed it... we can't race without workunits... :?

Seeing as we can't find a working boinc project, I'm feeling tempted to race again on one of the already raced ones again... but to not delay this too much more, let's say this time it starts wednesday.

Malaria Control, or one of the already raced ones?

EDIT: I'm thinking of MalariaControl now... There is indeed some 900 accounts still without owner (last one I saw was number 1,112 and they're running for 2,000). It's a new project and with a boost we could go up a few ranks... what do you say?

vaughan
06-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Yes, MalariaControl looks a better choice as I still cannot get any PrimeGrid work.

AMD-USR_JL
06-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Yea, i vote for Malaria too.

Murray
06-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Being a Prime Grider for a little while now...these short droughts of work happen from time to time and since they have happened the day before the start of the race...maybe we should abandone the PG race...

But if everyone could not dump their WUs but rather work them through...the dump of unfinished WU would probably rock the little project quite a bit...

Malaria control would be great it would get the team a firm foothold in the project while it is still young and limited and the project is for a really good cause too.

Give us till the end of Friday to get ready please :D

AMD-USR_JL
06-25-2006, 07:58 PM
The more AMD Users accounts, the less other teams' accounts! :twisted:

Strongbow
06-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Oh Dear! ...I'm uploading all my completed PG WUs now then and clearing my systems off!

Great idea about MalariaControl race, we could do with a big boost there!

NeoGen
06-25-2006, 10:06 PM
No need to rush fellows, do crunch what workunits you still have from PrimeGrid. :)

I was thinking about starting it at the night of wednesday (which would be Thursday 00:00 GMT), as we already had a whole week of break, but then again if you guys managed to queue up many workunits I guess we could take another week of break to crunch & clear queues?

Strongbow
06-25-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm now empty of PG and filling up with Malaria Control ones, can do both if you want to change back to PG though!

gamer007
06-25-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm just about done my "queue" of Primegrid WUs. Only got like 15 for my P4. :lol:

Now onto Malaria Control. :twisted:

NeoGen
06-25-2006, 10:17 PM
How many days of workunits did you fill up? And what deadline do they have?

I guess MalariaControl has been approved as the next race, now I just need to see how much PrimeGrid work some of you guys still have and define a day to start the MalariaControl race. (With time enough for you all to clear up queues plus a couple of days to get ready)

And I I even thought of making this race a bit longer, like starting mid/end of this week, crossing the weekend and continuing through the following week until Friday. That way the schedule would be set right once again, always ending on Fridays and starting on Sunday nights. :)

...And if Primegrid solves its problems in the next two weeks, I'll be willing to give it another try. Let's all press Rytis to fix it quick! :P

gamer007
06-25-2006, 10:29 PM
I told it 10 days. And I believe PG has deadlines of a week.
I only have 8 WUs, should be done in an hour or 2.

Question, is it ok to let the P4 use Hyperthreading w/ BOINC WUs? I currently have 2 crunching at the same time. Will it affect anything such as time to finish per WU?

AMD-USR_JL
06-25-2006, 10:32 PM
If you crunch 2 work units from different projects it goes faster. If you crunch two of the the same kind it gets slower.

NeoGen
06-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Question was actually to blackheat... :P

gamer007
06-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Ok.

I think I'll just leave it for now. Too lazy to change BOINC general settings. :P

EDIT: Sorry NG. My bad. :lol: :oops:

Murray
06-25-2006, 10:39 PM

I guess MalariaControl has been approved as the next race, now I just need to see how much PrimeGrid work some of you guys still have and define a day to start the MalariaControl race. (With time enough for you all to clear up queues plus a couple of days to get ready)

And I I even thought of making this race a bit longer, like starting mid/end of this week, crossing the weekend and continuing through the following week until Friday. That way the schedule would be set right once again, always ending on Fridays and starting on Sunday nights. :)

...And if Primegrid solves its problems in the next two weeks, I'll be willing to give it another try. Let's all press Rytis to fix it quick! :P

MalariaControl has a very short WU deadlines so there will be a short loading time which will follow on from everyone finishing thier current PG WUs. I think it is unethical just to dump WUs...so lets work them through.

PG has a week deadline per WU. The PG problem is simply a server crash and is generally fixed by a restart on Rytis's side...so PG could be back online as early as tommorrow morning...

I recon the idea of starting on Sunday nights and finishing on Fridays should be preserved...it gives us the weekend to fix everything up...

What does everyone else think?