PDA

View Full Version : MalariaControl Race

gamer007
06-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Now that we have solved the PrimeGrid problem, now we must decide a day to start the MC race. :)

I'm all done my PG WUs, so I'm patient awaiting for NeoGen's signal. ;)

Evil-Dragon
06-26-2006, 10:30 AM
I was crunching both MalariaControl & PrimeGrid at the same time. I have been keeping short queues so i'm already done on PrimeGrid a few days ago now.

I'm ready to start whenever, in fact i'm building up a fair bit in Pending Credit already :D

NeoGen
06-26-2006, 10:33 AM
So... wednesday night is ok for everyone? (thursday 00:00)

Anonymous
06-26-2006, 03:45 PM
hmmm, malariacontrol huh? I might have to join this one .... hehe ;)

Murray
06-26-2006, 04:43 PM
So... wednesday night is ok for everyone? (thursday 00:00)

What time is that in terms of GMT?

I will not be 100% ready but will pick up on Friday with another PC and crunch through the weekend with more vigour...

I see the mysterious "Guest" has joined us again :D

AMD-USR_JL
06-26-2006, 05:16 PM
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/africa/south-africa/

It'd start at 2 A.M. on thursday for you Murray.

Murray
06-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Thanks JL :cool:

NeoGen
06-27-2006, 01:04 AM
Wait... altough I am under the Greenwich line, the Daylight Saving Time still in effect gives me +1 hour. And on that page it says that South africa is not on DST. So... that makes it 1:00 am for Murray?

And if nobody says anything on the next few hours, then Wednesday night (or more accurately Thursday 00:00am in Portugal) will be locked on the schedule. :)

spikey_richie
06-27-2006, 03:08 AM

PcManiac
06-27-2006, 06:09 AM
hmmm, malariacontrol huh? I might have to join this one .... hehe ;)

grr that was me ... I had just installed XP Pro as a dual boot with my XP x64, and I forgot to sign in hehe

Anonymous
06-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Wait... altough I am under the Greenwich line, the Daylight Saving Time still in effect gives me +1 hour. And on that page it says that South africa is not on DST. So... that makes it 1:00 am for Murray?

And if nobody says anything on the next few hours, then Wednesday night (or more accurately Thursday 00:00am in Portugal) will be locked on the schedule. :)

No we don't have DST but South Africa works on GMT+2...

Can't wait for the race to start... :D

Murray
06-28-2006, 05:16 PM

No we don't have DST but South Africa works on GMT+2...

Can't wait for the race to start... :D

For ffs... :evil:

Using someone elses PC...

Murray
06-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Looks like Chris Icide dumped a little early...

http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamstats.php?proj=aah&team=AMD+Users

Shame... :?

Anonymous
06-28-2006, 05:38 PM
I returned credits today? Funny since my main rig hasn't been on for 1 and a half days! Guess i must have had a lot pending :D

AMD-USR_JL
06-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Sorry that was me :oops:

That was a huge dump by Chris Icide he also had 4.6k in SIMAP too.

NeoGen
06-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Guys, because I'm gonna have dinner out and I'm not sure if I'll be home at midnight tonight to do the scheduled data collection, I'll do it at 8:00 pm which is in about an hour from now.
If I return home in time I'll discard these numbers and collect new ones on the predicted schedule, but if not then I'll use these ones. Better to get the numbers a little earlier than alot later, right? :roll:

Strongbow
06-28-2006, 06:15 PM
So don't :pottytrain5: now then just in case NeoGen doesn't get drunk enough and remembers to take a stats snapshot at 00:00! ;)

cicide
06-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Actually no, I'm not dumping, I just fired up a new blade server with 10 dual processor blades a couple weeks ago, and decided to join the race, so I have all 20 procs burning on Malaria right now ;)

So what you are seeing is not a dump, but just straight load.

-Chris

From malaria: Pending credit: 7,199.28

Murray
06-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Actually no, I'm not dumping, I just fired up a new blade server with 10 dual processor blades a couple weeks ago, and decided to join the race, so I have all 20 procs burning on Malaria right now ;)

So what you are seeing is not a dump, but just straight load.

-Chris

From malaria: Pending credit: 7,199.28

Your crunching power makes me want to cry :sad2:

gamer007
06-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Should I dump? Or should I not dump? I guess I won't be dumping.

Gah, I hate timezones.

NeoGen
06-28-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm back! Stats will be collected at midnight as scheduled. :)

Not yet gamer, it's 10:45 pm here now. Just a little more... ;)

spikey_richie
06-29-2006, 12:46 AM
See i've not been getting into this whole "dumping" thing, I'm happy to just let it run and upload as and when.

Is that a bad thing?

NeoGen
06-29-2006, 01:42 AM
No, but you get a disadvantage... because Boinc can queue a great number of workunits, people get a big load of them before the race starts, crunch them but without uploading the results, and then when the contest starts they upload all they got done and gain a big amount of points right at start. :)

Strongbow
06-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Well I've done my Malaria :pottytrain5: although it's not as big as I'd hoped for because all my systems completed their WUs a couple of days ago so they've been just sitting there waiting! :cry:

spikey_richie, it's best to set your BOINC account preferences (within the relevant website) within "Connect to network about every" to a greater number of days as it determines the size of the work cache. Then once you have downloaded a load of WUs, suspend network activity on your BOINC client so it doesn't upload them until you're ready (when the race has started) then crunch away.

When the race starts, resume the network activity and start :pottytrain5: 'ing

Empty_5oul
06-29-2006, 12:20 PM
spikey_richie i just let mine run aswell.

my opinion is that it takes time to validate anyway, so if i send my results back and the other has expired then the next request for WU would include mine rather than a result which has been returned by no-one.

We do lose out a little as sometimes they get validated quickly but there is an equal chance if we waited and dumped a load they would not be validated within the 5 days anyway.