PDA

View Full Version : 1st Impressions of Vista BETA 2

gamer007
06-30-2006, 11:30 PM
So, after a long install (and long driver installations)... I finally get into vista.

My 1st impressions, looks cool. A bit much on the eye candy. I don't like the new explorer, I preferred the old version w/ the full specific name of the folder I'm in (ie: C:\Documents and Settings) rather than "Computer -> VISTA L:\ -> )

Control Panel's a bit annoying, too many clicks just to get to one spot. I mean, why did they have to seperate each tab for customizing your own desktop? Very annoying IMO.

And the best part being admin of Vista? Being denied permission to folders. :evil: Application Data to be exact, I can't seem to get into it even though I'm administrator.

I'll be trying it more, but so far w/ the ATI drivers install, everything runs much more smoothly (animations not jerky, etc.).

So far, it has potential, but this is my 1st hour w/ Vista and I'm sure it'll imrprove. So far, I rather stick with XP. Only reason I want Vista is so I can use DX10 w/ the game Crysis.

My 1st impressions rating: 6/10

NeoGen
07-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Won't there be a DX10 for XP too?

gamer007
07-01-2006, 12:11 AM
No, DX10 (D3D [Direct3D] to be more specific) is Vista exclusive. :-(

In order to use it, we are forced to upgrade to Vista. But as I said, I don't think I'll be getting it the moment it comes out. It'll take me a while to get used to the whole new user interface.

I wonder how many updates it'll be needing in less than a year. :roll:

outlawolf
07-01-2006, 08:01 AM
wow, no DX10 without a upgrade? that sucks.

drezha
07-01-2006, 10:37 AM
lol...

Could have added it to here :p

http://www.amdusers.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2717

Anyhow...

the default way of doing the computers section in Explorer is easy to go back...just click to the left and it'll give you the full path ;) Tis easy to navigate with the new section though...

Application data? not tried it.

Though an annoying think is the protection on the windows drive. (ie C:\)
Vista blocks any sharing of the folders. It can be got around I'm told in a long a diffcult way.

Any folders you want to share either have to be in C:\Users\Public or on a seperate drive D:\ for example. That annoied me slightly as it meant I had to move my Folding@home folfder to D, just so I can share over a network and monitor on another PC.

Other than that, a nice OS IMHO

daddygeek
07-01-2006, 10:52 AM
It's Windows Biger, slower, and thay moved every thing around so harder it use. Yep, like normal Mirosoft. But thats what keeps us admin's working. :lol:

I do like the "Computer's Performance Rating" But it's hard on Graphics. Time to buy a new GPU. My 6600GT is a 5.9 but the cards 128m of ram is a 3.2 :-(

gamer007
07-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Just noticed BOINC works perfect fine on Vista (on my XP partition, made another for Vista). Guess I can stick w/ Vista for a while. :) Though I'll be going back to XP for my games, HL2 has graphical corruption due to DX10. :lol:

EDIT: Even MS' default games suffer from graphic corruption! Boy do they need to fix DX10 fast. :lol:

drezha
07-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Here's a list of current compatible VIsta games as noted by me...

UT (Original GOTY editio)
UT2K4
Battelfield 2

:D

Empty_5oul
07-02-2006, 06:28 PM
regarding the vista compatable games/apps.

I assume they run faster and are better due to the greater amounts of memory allowed etc.
But on a same spec machine on any of those games could you tell the difference between which platform they were being run from when in game (XP or Vista)? Is it noticably faster?

drezha
07-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Wouldn't say they were faster noticably.

But they recognise they aren't being installed on a recognised OS for them but they install and work anyhow

Empty_5oul
07-02-2006, 10:35 PM
so for all my current software (non vista optimised) there is no need to change OS.

Will all new software be backwards compatable e.g. XP support? or is software designed for XP but compatable with vista?

NeoGen
07-03-2006, 02:59 AM
I'll stick with XP probably until they release the first Service Pack for Vista.(Which given the quality of Microsoft's OS'es, it probably won't take more than a few months)
Then I'll think about it... :roll:

Anonymous
07-03-2006, 03:57 AM
As M-soft tends to abuse us end-users as beta testers; like NeoGen, I'll wait until the OS has matured through at least the first service pack.

Steve Lux
07-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Um, that was me - forgot to log in first.

Jeff
10-05-2006, 05:04 PM
I've just downloaded the RC1 version is Vista. I like it so far, but I don't mind changes. Things may be a little harder to find at first, but the overall look and feel are much better.

Performance wise, I don't have much to say. IE7+ renders quickly!