PDA

View Full Version : Riesel Sieve getting BOINC'd?

vaughan
07-02-2006, 11:29 AM
According to this thread on the Prime Grid forum Riesel Sieve is considering getting BOINC'd.

http://www.primegrid.com/orig/forum_thread.php?id=370

AMDave
07-02-2006, 11:47 AM
That is news.

It fits the BOINC profile really well and they would get a great deal of exposure to the BOINC user-base.

I should go well. They have an experienced project and programming team. Parallel implementation should be a walk in the park for them. We'll be there for the testing won't we?

NeoGen
07-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Seeing that Riesel Sieve / PSP Sieve / SOB Sieve / etc all use the same sieving software only with different dat files, they could even create a larger boinc project that would cover all those, giving the user the option to choose which it wants to crunch for in the user preferences. Much like Rosetta has an option to set the preferred workunits lenght.
Depending on the project chosen the application would retrieve the corresponding dat file and sieve away.

drezha
07-02-2006, 05:48 PM
I'd happily take part in any of them if they moved to BOINC :D

Anonymous
07-20-2006, 02:41 AM
Hi all,

At the risk of having a rush of people at once, I'm looking for a couple of pre-alpha testers. I have a running application for the sieve client using BOINC, and need to test it a bit even before I can get it to Alpha status. If anyone doesn't mind running pre-alpha (read: unpolished, possibly buggy code), info is at this thread: http://www.rieselsieve.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the exposure vaughan - I had tried to keep it a bit quiet until we had SOMETHING to show people, and now we do (I think). That's why I didn't post an official confirmation here sooner. :D Some things to work out (for example, the client may tell you that there's an error uploading, but it's just uploading to the wrong place, still working that out), but we're getting close.

Thanks in advance to anyone that joins - like I said, I'm trying to keep it small, so after about 3-5 more people, I'll lock off registration for a few days until I can get a solid Alpha to test with a wider group.

Bryan
Stats Administrator
Riesel Sieve Project

NeoGen
07-20-2006, 02:50 AM
I'm in and running it. :)

Seems to be running ok, it just doesn't show progress percentage. (But that's natural in all starting projects) :)

I'll keep a close eye on it and report any strange findings.

vaughan
07-20-2006, 03:55 AM
Me 2.

I wonder why it is called Test Project in BOINC Manager instead of Riesel Sieve?

Brucifer
07-20-2006, 04:58 AM
sigh.... no linux

gamer007
07-20-2006, 05:09 AM
Just signed up. Hope you don't mind Bryan, I've noticed you have 12 people (including me) participating.

I'll report any anomalies that happen. :)

bryanRS
07-20-2006, 05:40 AM
Brucifer:

No linux, yet. Until JJSieve has a true linux version, I can't really port it. I don't know the intricacies of Wine/BOINC/linux working together. Can BOINC even run under Wine?

Once I hear from Chuck about a linux version of JJSieve, I'll have more info.

Bryan

drezha
07-20-2006, 08:24 AM
AFAIK BOINC can work under WINE. :?

I certianly know that Folding@home can be run under wine and running the windows client under wine on linux outstrips performance on windows and using the default linux client :S

BTW will be keeping a closer eye on this project. Feel my small box I can spare (my laptop is win 2K and I recently moved my main rig to linux (:D) and I cant access the other windows box yet...) cant be much use at this stage when you want quick returns.

Good luck and when you need some more user's I'll add myself to it and remove Predictor...that way my laptop will be 100% maths BOINC projects :) (Primegrid and This)

Brucifer
07-20-2006, 03:32 PM
yes, there is always wine, but everyone doesn't install "X" on their linux boxes. Without X, I don't know whether wine could be utilized or anything set up to run under wine. And then there is also the "purist" issue that running windows on linux isn't exactly the linux-geek way to do things. :)