PDA

View Full Version : Tanpaku Update - July 2006

Nflight
07-12-2006, 11:20 AM
First off we have successfully passed another team taking us from 10th to 9th but only for a few short hours later we were passed by a Team with amazing crunching power. So now we are still in 10th place. Excitement over.

Since joining our team I have been noticing the amazing amount of crunching power other teams have at there disposal. I am here for a long time, I am not going to give up our spot at 10th, although Ars Technica is with in sight of us and will over take us in about a weeks time.

Enjoy the race everyone, I am happy right here solving Protein Sequencing running Tanpaku. Come join me if you feel the need to find cures in the medical field.

Thats all for now :!:

NeoGen
07-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Just in case people missed it on the other thread, I proposed an extra race on Tanpaku to finish the Boinc Championship. If not, the Championship will be over this coming Friday as Primegrid race ends.

I'm guessing you'll be in favor of it, right Nflight? :)

AMDave
07-12-2006, 11:32 AM
I'll be re-BOINC'ing my rigs in a couple of days after what has been a long sabatical.
Although it's not my prime target, I'll be adding this one to the portfolio (hopefully not just to fill in the gaps ;) )
Looks to be an interesting effort, but it's kinda hard to read up on the periferal information.

AMDave
07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Oooh. NoeGen you posted at the same time.
I might just be in time for this one :!:

Nflight
07-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Just in case people missed it on the other thread, I proposed an extra race on Tanpaku to finish the Boinc Championship. If not, the Championship will be over this coming Friday as Primegrid race ends.

I'm guessing you'll be in favor of it, right Nflight? :)

Absolutely in Favor of this last RACE Finally! Thank You there NeoGen, Thank You Very Much! =D< :hello1: [-o<

Nflight
07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
but it's kinda hard to read up on the periferal information.

Actually there is a English | Japanese, link at the top left hand corner of the main page. http://issofty17.is.noda.tus.ac.jp/index_E.php

The information on the main page is updated with in seconds of you finishing and uploading the WU, the other Statistical Web Links like Synergy and Boincstats are about 24 to 30 hours delayed. Maybe NeoGen can see if the exact xml data is outputed immediately or if we will have to wait a day like these other web sites are?

Free-DC is right on time with the xml data, just don't understand the other two stats web links not being so up to date :-k #-o :dontknow:

NeoGen
07-12-2006, 11:55 AM
I take the data directly from the project's stats pages, so if you say that it updates on the spot, then on the race it will be updated on the spot too. :)

AMDave
07-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Thx Nflight.

Did you find any of their science doco's in English?
I'd like to explore their purpose some more but ran into translation issues. :?

AMDave
07-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Ah. Belay that.
I was using an old saved link instead of the link on the page which now jumps to the same docs, but now in English.
What can I say but "Erm. Duh! Oops." That about says it all. :lol:

Nflight
07-13-2006, 03:38 PM
NeoGen is user of the day! 7-13-06

Congratulations your in the spotlight :shock: :roll:

NeoGen
07-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Cool. :cool:

I think I was UotD at least two times already. They still have a short profiles list to rotate I guess.

Nflight
07-13-2006, 08:25 PM
We reached 9th place in Tanpaku, Way to go Team Effort. We have a few new members crunching, please welcome; sulthernao, SotirisAthanasiou, and Mitchell.

Time for a Wave :wav:

Strongbow
07-14-2006, 08:48 AM
NeoGen is user of the day!!! =D< \:D/ =D<

http://f10.putfile.com/thumb/7/19404312631.jpg

Nflight
07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Please welcome our newest member to the Tanpaku Team Effort = Blackheath.

Welcome Aboard =>Super Cruncher ! :D

Strongbow
07-14-2006, 01:17 PM
:D Cheers!

I've just done a quick blast to see what it was like and first impressions are that I really like this! They're very fast at granting credits!

Nflight
07-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Work Unit limit per day per machine is 500 WU's. Way more then I can do in one day.

You will notice that the deadline is very short so if you download WU's be wary that you have committed yourself to working, to get rid of them quickly. Work Units are dated approximately 6 hours after you download them some as late as 24 hours. There is mention of this on the MainWeb Site, as they have asked for a reply from their crunchers about the length of time to have the WU's finished by and the size of the WU's.

Length of WU's is between 4 minutes and as long as 40 minutes, but by far the WU's are 85% short timed, and the rest of the 15% is made up of 10, 12 33, or 40 minute Work Units.

If an error occurs ( so far only one has occured for myself in over 2,000 Wu's) abort the WU and update the Boinc Manager right away, even if you have other Wu's remaining for the time period. Computational errors have caused the Crunched work Units to be removed and with those errored WU's you lose the potential Credits.

Explained further as they the project operators prefer that you Crunch Work units in large quantity's and connect to the Main Page about every 4 hours. BY doing so you have removed your connection times to the main web server and lowered there high demand upon there server, effectively lowering there broadband usuage and therefore lowering there costs to operate the project.

If you follow the project on the projects web site you will be amazed at the speed at which you get credit. If you watch the web sites other then the projects web site including our signature stats they have developed a tremendous slow down and are so far behind actual, don't fret it, they will figure it out or you will learn to look on the Projects page for the most accurate info.

Happy Crunching on Tanpaku

Any Questions

Strongbow
07-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks Nflight for the info. Very useful!

So no big dumping for anyone in next weeks race then if we can only report up to 24hrs worth of WUs! :cry:

Nflight
07-14-2006, 01:48 PM
The best idea I can suggest is to look at the due date of each workunit. There will lie the answers to hording and dumping. I usually have 6 hours to report the completed workunits but, I have downloaded 5 days of Wu's to crunch. If youwere to set your limit for access to WU's you may get a longer period of time to crunch and hence maybe time to horde and dump on the first day.

When you sign up the first time on the preferences of your account set the time to connect at 0.1 days. This will give you time to look over how the project times its Workunits reply time and date. Run an example for your self and your machines, test it out, look for your best advantage in understanding how your machines fair with the projects cirriculum.

Each Member has to take there time to make the most of every project, it is going to be like learning to ride a bike, first it is the tricycle with the abilty without leaning. Then comes the training wheels, and finally the inline cylindrical shapes rolling effortlessly down the path you desire.

Good Luck

More Questions or comments

Nflight
07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
More insight into the Tanpaku Project. Seems if you place your General Options to 0.0 instead of 1.0 or 2.0 days for connecting to the Network. When you place 0.0 in the Network Usuage area. You still get WU's, and I have been able to stay away from the nasty computational errors without fail since that time. This of course relies heavily on the fact of the Project staying up and running. Since I have started crunching on July 8th, I have not seen any downtime by the project, this is a good mention.

As soon as I put in the 0.0 Network Usuage my numbers have returned higher then average returns and no failures. ***See todays notice of Resume and Suspend now working*** I live in an area where we see a large amount of T-Storms and are overwelmed by the outage of Electricity so my uptime now is very good considering Mother Nature is trying to tell us something with all these storms.

Any Comments

Nflight
07-27-2006, 03:15 PM
June 27, 2006
Important!
TANPAKU server will be down from 9 August to 10 August for maintenance.

On the Main Server Site - Just a heads up

NeoGen
07-27-2006, 05:29 PM
NFlight, tirelessly scouting the project and reporting the news back to us. :)
If someday jeff implements an automatic way to get the news from the RSS feeds of the projects, it should be named after you. :)