PDA

View Full Version : New Leader in Predictor

Nflight
07-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Congratulations there mitchellds, you are now TOP DOG! Numero Uno

Job Well done to the following Team Members: Beerknurd, Steve Lux, Maybach, Dave Lewis, DMMc, James, Morwick, Dave Guerra, Dirk Brower, Anthony, Scott(British), Scott(American), PeterD, ADM-USR_JL, marek, Mike Stafford, Bobcat13, Tom, benevoit, mad.and.insane, Dr., Maverynthia, skolawind, Seraku, raven. Thank you Everyone who has assisted in putting WU's Crunched on our roster. :D

Steve Lux did you light a fire under your machines? Because your numbers really have increased lately!

AMDave
07-12-2006, 02:14 PM
That doesn't happen every day.

Well done mitchellds! :thumbup:
That's a yellow jersey for you.

mitchellds
07-12-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks a bunch!! It took awhile to ketchup from start to where I am now. . Over 38 days. I now have #1 in Einstein and in Predictor, yeeehaw.
:cool:

So what do you guys think is another project where I could point some crunching hours that would best be spent for the team :?: :?:

AMD-USR_JL
07-12-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure if i can speak for the whole team, but i know a few of us are dc-vault junkies. Our worst project right now is Muon1. I have left the race to help out, it's just me and Bwhite crunching. Russia is 4 Tpts away and i think with your help it wouldn't take more than a week to pass them. I really like this project because you get to see who has the smartest computer. After each simulation your computer learns by taking the best simulations and modifys them, and hopes to get better results. If you have a faster computer then you can do more results and have higher chances of getting a better muon percentage. I've got the 6th best score in DecayRotB. :D
All you've got to do is download the archive (http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/v443c.rar), extract it, when it asks for your name just type "[AMD Users]your name" and all your points will go to our team. Make sure to download the the new patch (http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/v443d_debug.rar), after you extract, since it make your computer smarter. :D

Nflight
07-12-2006, 07:30 PM
If your offering I could surely use some help on the Tanpaku Project. The WU's are small and the site is extremely well maintained by the administrators.

Plus the whole project is a driving force in finding solutions that would lead to cures in the Medical Field.

See this post for details: http://www.amdusers.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2816#33197

Steve Lux
07-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Nflight:

My oldest son is moving from his mother's house and finally got internet access, so the 4800+ is back in action. (I really have only 2 systems crunching, a 3800+ and a 4800+, not the 3 that are listed - although that may change in the future)

And hey, if you don't get back to Predictor crunching within the next 10-12 days, well, you can count just as well as I can.

mitchellds
07-13-2006, 02:02 AM
ok Nflight, I'll give the Tanpaku Project a whirl for a bit. Wow these are quick wu's, less than 5 minutes on a amd64 3500. This should be fun.

Steve Lux, a 4800 is def. a great cruncher. Glad your getting that beast back into its element. BTW: I never said I was leaving Predictor.... better get several 4800's for the math to work out for ya. :lol: :P

Steve Lux
07-14-2006, 02:28 AM
Dave, I obviously can't match your crunching capacity, but Nflight's and my systems seem to be close and the counting was for him. He once posted that he might come back to Predictor if his position was threatened.

Neither of us could match or surpass your capacity, so even if he came back because of your run he couldn't possibly stay ahead of you, but if he want's to stay ahead of me he'll need to get back into the Predictor crunching game.

I'd like to see our team stay in the Predictor top 20, and top 15 eventually. If a bit of light-hearted taunting can bring more resources into play I'm all for it. There are quite a few AMD Users who can produce more than my systems can, and that's OK with me. But when two are so closely matched, well then I find things more interesting.

With about 250,000 - 300,000 more team credits in Predictor I'll feel comfortable with spreading my resources around a bit because we'll be fairly secure in the Predictor top 20. Then I'll be able to contribute to other projects. So the more the team contributes the sooner I can get back to Einstein and CPDN.

Nflight
07-14-2006, 03:48 AM
Congratulations Steve Lux you just broke 100,000 and that is a personal best on Predictor. Nice Job...

As for returning to Predictor I will in due time, which translates to I got involved in other projects and find myself trying to save our team effort in every project I dwell in. You have some time till you catch up to me, one day you will notice my dumping of absorbanent amounts of WU's in Predictor just to let you know I will return really it is not a lie it is just hard to save the world in so many places all at once.
I should have just stayed in Predictor and Simap, but I played the game of trying new projects and now I will have to purchase more Servers to assist the team effort.

Great Job on the feat of reaching 100,000... Nice Job :cool:

vaughan
07-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Great effort Steve =D<

Hey Nflight, a question ... how come you are focussed on Biological or Medical related projects like Predictor? My guess is that there is some family history associated with the Big C that drives your interest in this style of DC'ing.

How would you rate the various projects: D2OL, TSC, Folding@Home, Ubero, UD-Grid, and the BOINC-Leiden Classical, Malaria Control, Predictor, Rosetta, Ralph, Simap, Tanpaku and World Community Grid in terms of their scientific worthiness, their attractiveness to crunchers eg, they don't crash all the time requiring "babysitting", their cross platform functionality eg different Operating System version, and any other standout features that puts one project ahead of its siblings?

mitchellds
07-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Congrats Steve Lux on 100k+!
I agree with you about "the light-hearted taunting can bring more resources into play I'm all for it" I joined this group for the fun of the team effort and the AMD interest. And hey, I notice that you live in S.C, I'm originally from N.C, soo your alright with me being a fellow south of the mason dixon line dude!

Great question Vaughn:

I think everyone these days has someone close touched by the Big "C" sadly. I just had a friend pass away yesterday with Brain Cancer after a year long battle. This is the 3rd friend in the last 5-7 years. The horrible things about this is that most anyone can have it and not even know until some symptons bring it to the surface. Hopefully someday soon combined efforts just like ours in running these medical related boinc projects will leed to some geater understanding that might allow a cure to be discovered. I'm all for scientific discovery in projects like Seti and Einstein. I believe they can have far reaching positive impacts on humans for the long run. I'm starting to think that maybe discoveries of the medical variety can have a more immediate impact.

I've been involved with the Multiple Sclerosis society for some years and know people with MS and have seen first hand what the affect of newly developed drugs can do to help people with that affliction. MS research is also a fast moving area of which a cure is highy sought.

Nflight
07-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Great effort Steve =D<

Hey Nflight, a question ... how come you are focussed on Biological or Medical related projects like Predictor? My guess is that there is some family history associated with the Big C that drives your interest in this style of DC'ing.

How would you rate the various projects: D2OL, TSC, Folding@Home, Ubero, UD-Grid, and the BOINC-Leiden Classical, Malaria Control, Predictor, Rosetta, Ralph, Simap, Tanpaku and World Community Grid in terms of their scientific worthiness, their attractiveness to crunchers eg, they don't crash all the time requiring "babysitting", their cross platform functionality eg different Operating System version, and any other standout features that puts one project ahead of its siblings?

1st Paragraph Answered:
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:14 pm
Post subject: Boinc - Predictor@Home

Reasons I work so hard to provide the necessary computing power to succeed with the Project Predictor Scripps and the Simap Projects. Well for starters I live and know some of the wonderful people who are working diligently to surpass there environment expectations with achievements to better our world we live in. These people are of the utmost intelligence bound individuals you would ever want to know. They are thoughtful and helpful at every second of there existence, their searchers for the solution to cure the diseases that plaque all mankind. They can be found at this URL; http://www.hmc.psu.edu/college/ and also they are able to be found here amongst the R&D group! http://www.hmc.psu.edu/researchdevelopment/

Why do I push for these men and women? Well in my lifetime, I have had three very close friends who have lost there struggle for life with the crippling disease of Leukemia. My first loss was at a young age of only 11 but Beaver was his nickname and he would struggle to make the best of everyday. Then as I got older I befriended Eric who at the crisp age of 24 lost his life with Leukemia, he was a great hunter and since his death I have not hunted a living thing. About 6 years ago I was living away from here and befriended another man who just happened to look ill but he did not feel ill, with in a few months he was diagnosed as Type 2 Leukemia and with in 4 months he passed with out being able to find a bone marrow transplantable donation.

Now you see why I am very motivated to find a cure, and within the protein structure of the Blood Cells, lies the answer to the solution to overcome this killer of a disease. If you feel I am pushing to hard to garner support for this project, at least now you know why I am so motivated to do my part with my computing skills in full power all the time. The National Science Foundation and the National Institute of Health supports this project and I will give all I have to make everything possible to find a solution. The remarks about the two identities and there support is located at the bottom right of this web link: http://predictor.scripps.edu/

So many different projects to reveiw and comment about, I am going to make this little bit of not for public knowledge available. The PSU COM is working on creating its own Boinc Project in the next few years with funding that has been requested. If the funding does not appear the project will never get off the line. Maybe I said too much? Protein research is the main area focus of there project. Their clinical labs are delving into non ferrous iron permutations in the protein substructure of Blood. This is the area they are focusing on. So this is the interesting areas I like to crunch for the moment, when there Project goes online ( eta 2 years) I will probably be crunching that as well as be the net admin of the project maybe.

vaughan
07-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks for sharing that Nflight. It all seems more valuable when you remember that there is Science and a chance of finding a cure behind the work we are crunching.

Steve Lux
07-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the 100k recognition. I'm hoping many others will achieve the same and much more.

We all have reasons to be here that go beyond the ego of scores. My father has survived three serious bouts with lymphatic cancer. The doctors say it's only a matter of time with this type as it's presently incurable and this kind simply does not go away. The old man is tough, one of the toughest people I know and has never been a quitter. The last bout with a combination of radiation and chemotherapy almost took his life.

None of us here know where or when cures will be found, but what we do know for certain is that if we don't do what we can, while we can, we are assured that cures won't be found. I have no illusions that the feeble efforts of my systems will provide the wherewithal to save my father's life, but to stand by idly while time, life and opportunity however slim pass by is not in my nature.

We all need to make our own decision about how our resources are best used to serve the interests of our personal value system. I don't know if what I am doing (Predictor) is the best that I can do, but in what time remains, what I can do I will do.

BlackAdder
07-14-2006, 10:25 PM
I lost my father at age 11 to Leukemia, I wanted to be a research scientist and fine a cure for cancer after that...but after my Mother died when I was 17 I lost the drive to continue my education into college. I hope as you do that my computers efforts will help me realize my dream of curing cancer, or just helping humanity in some small way would be nice :D
I have struggled in my mind to pick THE most worthy project and see it thru, except for these Boinc championships I usually run FAAH all week and run D2OL on the weekends.....anyone have strong opinions on which is the MOST worthy scientific project ??

Steve Lux
08-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Concerning what is "the most worthy" scientific project; I think this has to be a personalized determination based on our private experiences and values.

As is the case with many I started with SETI, but then determined that since intelligent life is so difficult to find here on earth what chance of finding it elsewhere? More seriously; one of my biggest concerns is that we might actually detect signals from an intelligent species. In very short order some deluded bone-headed starry-eyed morons would attempt to send a powerful signal directly to them - proving my theory concerning the lack of human intelligence on this planet. Any creature on earth that has been preyed upon knows that the last thing a survivor should do is to make their presence known to a predator. This is a lesson of nature and a fact of life. On this planet, humans are acknowledged as the premire predator on this planet (by us anyhow - and who or what remains to argue otherwise? - proving the point) due to our successes against nature and our competition - the other predators. What happens when we make our presence known to a higher order of predator? One that has not only succeeded in wiping out the competition on their own planet but on many planets... You catch my drift. To many this may seem mere paranoia, but it is a natural fact that for a species to excell at surviving it must overcome its competition and dominate other species - it must be a predator.

Anyhow... My personal priorities are medical research followed by hard scientific research. Basically, I want to help improve our knowledge and understanding of ourselves and the environment that surrounds us. I know from our shared human past that no good deed goes unpunished, so I know that any gains in knowledge we make can also be used against us. Many such gains may be useful for developing new weapons and new ways for us to kill each other, but I cannot help but hope that via tools such as the internet we can at least grow to understand each other as fellow humans, whether we always agree with each other or not.