PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 4 in VMPlayer

Ototero
07-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Help me please.

I've downloaded VMPlayer and a ready made app for Fedora 4.

When it's fired up, i'm taken too a login screen in FD4. Once I've typed 'root' and a password, it lets me in.

But I'm sitting at what looks like a dos prompt. Where's the GUI?

I want to run the MoneyBee Linux beta in FD4.

I'm hoping all you Linux/Unix experts out there can help.

AMD-USR_JL
07-13-2006, 06:51 PM
I can't ever get the X server GUI to work for me. The only thing that works is this thing called Vesa. I'm not sure how you switch it though. Maybe Cicide or Moving Fusion would know more about how to get the GUI working. Knoppix is the only distro i ever got to display GUI, it's a live cd though so i'm not sure if you can install apps on it. Maybe you can find some Knoppix based distros at http://anonym.to?http://distrowatch.com

PcManiac
07-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Is the login a GUI? or is that just a command prompt?

after loggin in as root, try typing in init 5 and it should kill some processes, and start some new ones.

or if that doesn't work, hit ctrl+f7 (I am pretty sure it is ctrl, might be ctrl+shift+f7 or shift+f7 I forget) andway, that should bring you to the GUI.

As far as VMPlayer goes, I have never used it before.

:EDIT: try typing in "w" or "who" or even "whoami" into the command prompt, and it will tell you what terminal you are running on. aka tty2.

Good Luck!

Strongbow
07-13-2006, 07:35 PM
"init 5" would start your graphical environment if you just executed "startx" then it would run your /.xinitrc file and may just give you an X login prompt!

I alway do init 5 or possibly telinit 5 depending on which disto I'm using!

If it boots up in init 3 (prompt) then you can edit your /etc/inittab and change the init setting to 5. If it fails when changing to init 5 (I often get this when I update my Nvidia driver) then edit your /etc/X11/XFree86Config to the correct graphics driver.

This is the page I follow for my Nvidia card which may help...
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/1.0-8762/README/chapter-03-section-02.html

PcManiac
07-13-2006, 07:40 PM
oh darn! sorry it IS Init 5, not 7... thanks BH

correct me if I am wrong, but can't you change your video driver by going system-config-display ? I can't remember if that gets you to the drivers or not.... it has been a while since I have used Linux. :(

Ototero
07-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try these and report back.

Ototero
07-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Typing 'w' gives me tty1.

Typing 'init 5' says

INIT: Switching to runlevel:5
Starting pcmcia:
Starting anacron:

then nothing .......

PcManiac
07-13-2006, 09:01 PM
hmm, not sure what to say there.... have you been able to get into the GUI before? or is this a fresh install?

Ototero
07-13-2006, 10:12 PM
It was a Fedora core created for loading into VMPlayer.

I typed : "yum -y groupinstall gnome".

This downloaded loads of stuff for about 45 minutes. Then tried init 5, startx, all sorts of stuff, but no joy. Just a black screen.

Strongbow
07-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I've spent weeks getting these issues fixed over the years on my systems and I'm still none the wiser for it.

Firstly when it looks like it has hung on anacron (It won't be anacron which is hanging) try CTRL + ALT + F3 to see if that flicks you over to a grapohics console!

Mine are typically due to graphics driver so if you have recently altered any monitor or graphics card then target this next.

Then you should check what scripts are being run at init 5 level in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/ and edit them accordingly. The start up ones start with an 's'

If you can't get round it then do a "service --status-all | grep running" and post the output here and I will see if I can spot anything unusual!

BH

Ototero
07-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Seriously pi$$ed off with linux dos box.

I've loaded Fed 5 (graphics mode) into VM player. It works. But talk about steep learning curve. I can't even fire up an executeable. Double clicking has no effect.

PcManiac
07-15-2006, 09:40 PM
lol, yeah. I had a Linux class at school, so I learned a little anyway (gotta C in that class :mad: ) but what does VMPlayer do exactly? is it like VMWARE?
does it run in window? hmm but anyway, I would suggest getting a basic Linix book or even one for just Fedora, that helps a lot.

AMD-USR_JL
07-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Hey, i found this thing about installing software (http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware) on Fedora, hope it helps.
Cheers! :D

Ototero
07-16-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks again guys.

VMPlayer is from the VM people. It's a cut-down of VM. Once installed, you download ready made pacakages to install. See www.vmware.com.

JL, that is a very weel laid out website. I'll percy veer, percevere, persyveer, keep going :lol: