PDA

View Full Version : New project - BOINC - Riesel Sieve

vaughan
07-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Here's one more BOINC project for us to play with.

BOINC - Riesel Sieve (http://boinc.rieselsieve.com)

This is a maths project and is currently Windows only.

Q: How can I participate?
[EDIT]
A: If you have boinc v5.4.9+, use the Projects -> Attach to Project method to attach to a new project in Boinc Manager. Use the url http://boinc.rieselsieve.com

Each team has a Create team account URL; accounts created through this URL will belong to the team, and will have the project preferences of its founder.

Q: How do I join the Team?
A: After having created an account, go to our Team page and click the link to join our Team. It's as easy as that. Here's our Team page:
http://boinc.rieselsieve.com/orig/team_display.php?teamid=399

Happy crunching :)

gamer007
07-21-2006, 12:04 AM
He did say he wanted a handful of people. So account creation is disabled at the moment.

Plus there is no create_account_form.php according to the site (404 error).

vaughan
07-21-2006, 12:37 AM
The project is running really well. Great job Bryan.

ps. Woot! I'm World #1 :shock: That won't last for long :!:

Just read that account creation is closed now they have 15 pre-Alpha stage testers.

Beerknurd
07-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Damn BETA testing... I never get in on the first try.... I get in later and then I'm thousands of points behind.

Evil-Dragon
07-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Joined.

vaughan
07-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Bok's BOINC Riesel Sieve Project (http://stats.free-dc.org/new/projpage.php?proj=rsi) stats are available.

Thanks Bok :thumbleft:

Anonymous
07-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Oops :oops:
Well that went horrible wrong!!!!
I tried to add Semprom running Windows Millennium. One that has ran Primegrid

Boinc Riesel sieve does not like Win ME
When it started running it said CPU Time 14994936:05:-29(negative sign not a typo) and a MS-DOS windows running sieve_5.13_windows_intelx86.

I was trying to get a screen shot when the unit completed and reported back. I went to check my account to see what happen with the result. I found out two units went through, each claiming get this -1.262 billion credits. My total is now -2.5 billion with a RAC of -250 million :shocked!: and of course that been added to the team stat in case your wondering WTH happen.

When I went to suspended the project on that box after checking my account, it had and was downloading units. I suspended it and checked the messages in Boinc and saw it was trying to fetch oh about 3 billion seconds of work. #-o

Now I can't get on the message boards because I have no credits to the good.

Could someone ask bryan fix or delete result for 6522 and 6523 that should hopefully fix some of the stats and get me back into the message boards.

Would be much appreciated :D

Thxs Big Whiskey

Crash and Burn, the best way to learn.

Evil-Dragon
07-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Posted on Riesel Sieve.

Empty_5oul
07-22-2006, 11:26 AM
i see it didnt do our team score any good :P

AMD Users -5,896

lol. i am sure he will fix it soon and sort out why/how it went wrong.

AMDave
07-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Regardless of what you might think, that's a good test result.
Well worth the effort.

gamer007
07-23-2006, 05:22 AM
Looks like Bryan is moving the forums to the regular RS forums.

So, to simplify things, I'm moving the forums over to the Riesel Sieve main forums - http://www.rieselsieve.com/forum/ - since most everyone already has an account over there. I'll try and see if there's a way to copy BOINC users over to phpBB, although I bet there will be password issues.

I'll leave the threads here open, but please put new threads over in the new BOINC forums.
Source: http://boinc.rieselsieve.com/orig/forum_thread.php?id=385#3632

NeoGen
07-23-2006, 05:52 AM
I think it's a good idea. Having to monitor two message boards everyday and answer on both can be very much time consuming. This way he will have more time to focus on what's important. :)

dAVE
07-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Could someone put a post on the main Riesel-Sieve BOINC forum saying that Sou’westerly, Account number 3040, does not have an account on the main site. I will hold off creating one in case Bryan wants to use it to test the transfer of user details between the two halves of the project.
Many thanks dAVE

Edit 240706 Please ignore, Bryan has replied to me and wants me to re-rigister on the new page. dAVE.

vaughan
07-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Rieselsieve forum is down. I'll try later today for you Dave.

dAVE
07-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks Vaughan, for some reason I can't sign on as a guest to post it myself.
I've put 3 boxes on red library in recompense. :D
dAVE

vaughan
07-24-2006, 12:35 AM
dAVE I think that RS is down because my pharm is unable to upload completed work on ADSL and Cable connections, I tried browsing to boinc.rieselsieve.com and www.rieselsieve.com by dial-up and broadband and cannot reach either site.

gamer007
07-24-2006, 12:38 AM
I can reach both sites fine. Though the WUs won't upload.

The project's various sites & servers were unreachable for the last couple of hours due to a DNS problem. It has been resolved - I would have fixed it sooner if I had not been out enjoying Columbus' Jazz & Rib Festival Laughing

BTW, it was really only the Ribs that I went for, but I guess to each his own. Sorry for the downtime.

Bryan

DNS Issue Resolved (http://www.rieselsieve.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=717)

Jerod Vandehey
07-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Is this a good project for an dual core intel if I am interested in having small and infrequent connections to the internet?

Strongbow
07-24-2006, 06:26 AM
Hi Jerod,

Welcome aboard the good ship AMDusers!

If you want to have a good project then it all depends on what type you would like to do. Your Dual Core Intel won't be a problem for pretty much any of them!

If you're concerned about the infrequent internet connection then you may be better off with a long project - such as BBC Climate Change (takes approximately 5 months to complete). Or if your internet connections aren't that bad then just set BOINC to have 5 to 10 days worth of work units and go for a project like Rosetta or in fact any BOINC project should do.

Have a look at AMD Users team projects here and ask any questions you want about if they are suitable/fun/challenging etc. http://www.amdusers.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=7

Lastly, I would avoid Riesel Sieve for the time being as it is still in testing and so it isn't really appropriate for systems that do not have permanent or regular internet connections as the developers need to retrieve the results asap.

Hope this helps,

BH

bryanRS
07-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Beerknurd, check your PM's.

gamer007
07-24-2006, 11:03 PM
So RS is now favoring AMDs huh. Guess I'll leave since I have a P4. But I do want to help out w/ the Alpha/Beta.

Just how much of an advantage does one get w/ an AMD CPU compared against Intel's?

dAVE
07-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Gamer, my 4200 is crunching the new work units at about 49½ minutes each. I had a nice switch over to the new units after the DNS hiccup, did you go OK?. dAVE

gamer007
07-24-2006, 11:33 PM
http://boinc.rieselsieve.com/orig/results.php?userid=3035

Those are my results. The new WUs are taking me over an hour. :-( But I'll continue RS to help w/ the Alpha/Beta.

dAVE
07-24-2006, 11:46 PM
That is interesting. For your WU 11460 you claimed 56.96 credits but were only granted 12 credits. Presumably there is now a cap on what you can claim for one WU because the quorum is still only 1. That is going to upset a lot of people with optimised clients. :bad-words: dAVE
Edit: Yep, looks that way, Evil-Dragon had his claim cut back to 12 credits too, can not see anyone else at this time who has returned a new WU with a claim over 12. dAVE

bryanRS
07-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Dave - the cap may be unintended, I'll check the validator and see what that's all about. Since I wasn't sure how much credit was going to be claimed, I'll see.

Gamer- it's purely a speed advantage, and with a fast enough P4, it shouldn't bring you down too much. I've tried to make the work units smaller so that they won't take an extremely long time on any proc. However, the AMD's will be faster overall.

gamer007
07-25-2006, 12:05 AM
My 2nd long WU has taken 12 credits as well. :lol:

Alright, I'm fine w/ my P4 and RS. Just wondering how big of an advantage. But it balances out w/ the credits. :P

bryanRS
07-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Yes, it was an unintended cap. I've boosted it (although gamer I wonder why your credit is coming in much higher than every other user), and will go back and fix the 15 or so wrong work units later this evening.

dAVE
07-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Bryan, he is using an optimised client that uses SEE2 or 3 and so gives higher benchmarks. dAVE.

Beerknurd
07-25-2006, 12:15 AM
I guess 12 is the limit then.... :-(

bryanRS
07-25-2006, 12:18 AM
12 isn't the limit any more, although I'll check around on how the scores are coming out and set an official new limit. It's been raised a bit though to compensate (as all of the units are coming back > 12 basically)

Beerknurd
07-25-2006, 04:38 AM
Rectilinear is out of work, so all cylinders are firing on this project. We will see how it goes. These are alot shorter WU's. I like that....

gamer007
07-25-2006, 04:58 AM
Bryan, he is using an optimised client that uses SEE2 or 3 and so gives higher benchmarks. dAVE.

Ya, I was. SSE2 optimized. I apologize for that. As long as the cap is resonable, I don't mind. 30 credits (that seems to be set now) seems alright.

bryanRS
07-25-2006, 05:12 AM
No worries - ignorance on my part really. Not up on optimized clients & such. Looking at it, though, only your clients are way over 30, there's a couple right at the 31-32 level, and many in the low to mid 20's, some reaching 26-27. So, 30 it is for now, as that seems to be reasonable and not allow run-away credit.

AMDave
07-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Just a quick reminder that Riesel(BOINC) is still in Alpha stage and we need (for our own good :) ) to give bryanRS, and the RS team, consitency in the Alpha-phase to glean stable results from the new framework before applying the optimised clients, which I hope will come in a Beta 1 or Beta 2 phase. There are no approved optimised clients "yet", but there will be.

The jjSieve programmers are careful and consciencious coders, so they did prepare some optimised clients. bryanRS has noted that it is planned that Riesel(BOINC) will apply the optimised clients to the CPUs that can handle them, in the long run.

Also, an update on the start-up....bryan and the team need to cross check all the alpha results and look into the plattform responses, but I expect them to confirm that the alpha launch has gone REALLY well and, at least, a further 1 or 2 alpha cycles to occur before they cry "BETA!"

I, for one among many, am tremendously impressed with the speed and maturity that bryanRS and the RS team has implemented BOINC testing and do here-bye tip this as one of the worlds most successful BOINC projects to-be.

Well done RieselSieve.

Plough the road!

Lagu
09-04-2006, 05:03 PM
At least I have joined our team an will give it a boost.

Lagu :D

Nflight
09-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Welcome Back Lagu !

Brucifer
09-04-2006, 05:35 PM
I haven't looked at any of the boinc stuff with riesel, but was just curious in reading this thread. Is there a linux client, and if so, how does it perform in comparison with the windows client?

LeBo
09-04-2006, 07:52 PM
With RS, they don't have a Linux client yet. Should have one very soon and I look for it to be slower than the Windoz client. :(

Lagu
09-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Welcome Back Lagu !

Thank you Nflight. I´m always happy among my AMD-friends.

Lagu ;) :D

Steve Lux
09-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Ok, Nflight asked me to come here and help out, so I came. But I have to tell you I just don't see the value of this particular Boinc project. What lives can be saved? What knowledge will be gained that can improve our understanding of the universe, or that will help us to understand what is happening to our planet?

Don't blink else I'll be looking for an excuse to scoot back to a more vital project with a higher purpose...

But for now I suppose the goal is to get back the first place position that the gentle people from down under have taken from the team?

NeoGen
09-30-2006, 12:18 AM
But for now I suppose the goal is to get back the first place position that the gentle people from down under have taken from the team?
Exactly!;)

This is one of those times that a guy has to temporarily keep away the thoughts about the mankind's future usefullness of the project. Like that Nike catchprase says... Just do it! :)

drezha
09-30-2006, 02:39 AM
Sorry guys.

Couple of things have stopped me running Riesel Sieve for AMD user's

1. TPR is about to start a folding@home race again...thus the cores I was going to dedicate to this are now 100% folding.

2. I was going to run Riesel Sieve on one core and folding on another but the folding interferes with the reisel sieve LLR and I get 30 to 40 benchmark so it's an all or nothing project so nothing ATM I'm afraid.

But because blackheath recommended my laptop, I will be running riesel sieve at some point to increase the AMD User's score as a thank you for a great laptop.

Nflight
09-30-2006, 03:46 AM
Steve Lux sometimes the necessary times mean you put down your drive to find a cure for those diseases and join in for the team effort. I know that in order to gain loyalty within a group of individuals I must commence a working relationship with the others I work with.
For example: After work you are asked by some members of your fellow workers to join them in some unwinding at the local watering hole. Your normal everyday routine is interupted. You leave the routine for a moment and enjoy the group participation for a moment with others who appreciate your company at work and now outside of the normal everyday situation. You have new friends because of this break in routine, and next time you need a favor, your new friends will bend over backwards to help you out. :idea:

vaughan
09-30-2006, 04:15 AM
Thanks for lending support to the team's cause Steve. When possible I'll put some power on a project you suggest.

Steve Lux
09-30-2006, 08:52 AM
I have found friends to be highly unreliable and generally far more talk than substance.

What projects or teams other members crunch for is their call. We all have our own value system and I recognize mine tend to be on the fringe of normalicy - I'm perfectly OK with that. I tend to seek purpose and reason for my efforts rather than just because a something is there. I'm not running a power farm here (yet), but still, what I do crunch for is credited to the Team.

My near-term (next three weeks) goals for supporting the team are to donate to the AMD BB fund and to spec out, purchase and build a dedicated CPDN cruncher that I can take out to Oregon for my dad to run. As he only has dialup and only goes online once every week or so I figure a project with very large WU's and trickle credits are the most effecient under such circumstances.

Previously and elsewhere I asked what Boinc credits were. Apparently I was unclear - as I often seem to be. It wasn't so much a question as it was a statement intended to be behind the question. Boinc credits have no value beyond what is attached to them by the people in the Boinc community. You can't interact with or utilize them for purposes beyond the boundaries of the Boinc environment. Boinc credits have no value in the greater (non-geek) societies in which we live. Give a 100,000 Boinc credit note to a homeless person and they'll use it for its real value - to fuel a fire, or to wipe their tail - sometime after they cuss you out.

Nflight
09-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Very Well said Steve, I understand your direction and fearless approach to the overwelming effect of Boinc. It is meant more for the individual then it is for the Team Effort, yet you joined a Team to assist us in attaining camaraderie with others doing the same thing.

Each person who belongs to AMDusers has their own initiatives on why they are here. I ThankYou for being part of our Team and now I know and understand your point clearly.

I appreciate your motivation to get your dad online and working on a project he can feel proud to be assisting with. I am doing the same thing with my father on his personal quest searching for ET. His demand is that his machine work as often as it needs to look for those few possibilities that may exist out there for life beyond this planet. My Father had a stroke many years ago and is paralyzed on his left side, in the last few years his memory is going faster and faster. Yet he still watches THe Discovery Science channel with intent to solve, "are we alone theory".
Thank You for putting your father on the Team, he may not understand the complex nuturing you receive by visiting the forums but we really do appreciate your input. Keep up the good work my friend and Thank your Father for his participation as well.

Nflight
09-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Vaughan hits 250,000 points today! ! !

gatekeeper53
09-30-2006, 04:11 PM
GO! VAUGHN GO! Congrats!!!!

Brucifer
09-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Previously and elsewhere I asked what Boinc credits were. Apparently I was unclear - as I often seem to be. It wasn't so much a question as it was a statement intended to be behind the question. Boinc credits have no value beyond what is attached to them by the people in the Boinc community. You can't interact with or utilize them for purposes beyond the boundaries of the Boinc environment. Boinc credits have no value in the greater (non-geek) societies in which we live. Give a 100,000 Boinc credit note to a homeless person and they'll use it for its real value - to fuel a fire, or to wipe their tail - sometime after they cuss you out.

I read your rather frank comments, my brain precessed for a few minutes, and then I thought I'd type a few comments. :) And keep in mind that old saying that opinions are like a$$holes, we all have at least one. And that is said as a reality joke.

Yes, you can't take your boinc, or any other "credits" earned in the DC world down and trade them in for Green Stamps, food, or any other thing. But if you look at how long the Seti thing has run, and all the other projects, and specially the teams, you can't help but notice that all this is really present because of the "credits." And what are the credits? They are just an abstract thing that society has invented as a way of letting one individual "show" other individuals how much time/effort/money that he/she has put into a project. What is a project? Differing things to different people. Every person has a differing opinion to some degree on what is or what isn't important. So what we end up with is a lot of people playing a game to humor themselves while they crunch away at some project. And what project is more important than other projects? That is a personal opinion too.... just like some little kiddies want to grow up and be a brain surgeon, others want to be a garbage collector, or a nurse, and on and on. And that makes up the human spectrum and out of it all society has evolved. And it is important that people don't all like the same thing, think the same way, as if they did it would be a pretty dull place. Not to mention that the human race would not have progressed very far. Of course there is open debate if we have progressed at all any way. :) :)

So while you have a low opinion of the "credits" I take the view that it is a method that collectively we have taken to try and attach a method of signifying our individual and group efforts at how we have tried to work positively towards various "goals" that are important to those of us that decide to play this game.... to try and make something positive about things. Sorta goes back to is the glass half empty or half full. Are purely scientific efforts more or less important than medical ones, or mathematics, etc.? They are "all" important because they all contribute to the continuing evolving of humanity.