PDA

View Full Version : TPR Challenge

drezha
07-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Right Ok...

We want a race but do you?

How about a month long race starting August 1st to the end of August? :)

Basically a see how much you can crunch race...highest number of points gained at the end of the month wins...

Gives you lot a chance to move off of the BOINC and onto the Folding client and start to get your scores up.

If you need any help, I'm sure you can use the TPR Folding startup guide to help...
http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?t=27209

after a bit of research, your team number is 13129. Just in case you lot had forgotton it ;)

I'll be the link between the two forums with the stats (nothing too pretty unfortunatly...I have Uni exam resits between the 15th-25th :cry: so I cant make anything nice like Neogen did)

Anyhow...look forward to racing you! :twisted:

vaughan
07-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Woot :!: a gauntlet :!:

Is there a "How to" guide anywhere? I haven't run FoldingAThome for a long time.

Why hasn't it been BOINC'ed yet? Sure seem to be lots of other Protein Folding BOINC apps already.

NeoGen
07-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Just looked up your team on F@H... we don't stand a chance, do we? :lol:

No matter... I'm ready to race! :)

drezha
07-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Is there a "How to" guide anywhere? I haven't run FoldingAThome for a long time.

Why hasn't it been BOINC'ed yet? Sure seem to be lots of other Protein Folding BOINC apps already.

We've got one on our website you can use...
http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?t=27209

As for BOINC they had a closed beta at some point but I've heard nothing on it for a good while. :-( but as mentioned elsewhere on here, they are trying to find a way to get GPU's to crunch :)

get enough of you together and you can stand a chance. Not all of use are active... Only have about 30 active folders.. :roll:

I'm sure you can all join in and give us a good race! :D

vaughan
07-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey Drezha I'm not sure what's wrong ... I get an error message along the lines of "Attempt to get work failed, and no other work to do."

/EDIT: got it working using FAH client 5.02 but I have aborted it. KDFold v7.0 reports it will take 14 days to complete the job. Bah humbug I detest LRMs.

Back to BOINC.
/edit

drezha
07-24-2006, 02:28 PM
What were you using Vaughan? Linux or Windows?
Version 5.04 or 5.02?
What was the project number?

Never heard of KDFold. Assuming it's a monitoring program. Best to use is FAHMon or Electron Microscope 3

Dont know what rig you were running on but the longest WU there is on my A64 3500+ is 4 days. Most WU's are about a day to do...

Oh and deadlineless work server has no work so dont select that in advanced options...you'll have no work.

vaughan
07-24-2006, 03:07 PM
What were you using Vaughan? Linux or Windows?
Version 5.04 or 5.02?
What was the project number?

Never heard of KDFold. Assuming it's a monitoring program. Best to use is FAHMon or Electron Microscope 3

Dont know what rig you were running on but the longest WU there is on my A64 3500+ is 4 days. Most WU's are about a day to do...

Oh and deadlineless work server has no work so dont select that in advanced options...you'll have no work.
v5.04beta on an XP3200+ WinXP-Pro with time unlimited task selected
p1109 on P4-2.66 WinXP-Pro notebook using v5.02. It was the version I tried running a few months back.

KDFold is a monitoring app - far superior to EM back in the days when I ran FAH full-time.

Ototero
07-24-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm in, but I'll be on holiday for 10 days in August. I might leave my rigs running. Depends on the temperature.

NeoGen
07-24-2006, 09:15 PM
drezha, at what time does it officially start and end? From 00:00 on 1st of August to 23:59 on the 31st?

Is it possible to prepare a backlog of workunits to flush on day 1? :P

Brucifer
07-25-2006, 12:41 AM
well well well Mr. drezha, we meet again............. *only* 30 active folders??? And how many systems are those 30 running? You think we were born yesterday??? You think we are *EASY* ???????? :roll:

How about this....................... Your team lets our team start crunching now, and your team doesn't get to start until August 1st!!!!!!!! Your team only get .00033333 % of the awarded points per work unit. Our team gets a full 100% of awarded points.

HAR HAR HAR cough cough choke belch.... gasp :shock:

I would think that really in all seriousness that the crunching should start immediately and run through 30 Aug. Reason being that starting right now, people could just start crunching anyway and then when the work unit was close to being over, just suspend work on it, and start on another..........

I know, I know, that would be unethical and all that and of course neither team has any unethical people. :) But that would just remove the temptations.

Another "problem" at the moment is the high heat in a lot of places, but maybe that would pretty much even out among both teams.

As has been noted, your side has 30 active folders which is far more than us. I don't even know if we could get close to that, or make it up with some heavy hitters. I am at 50% due to heat right now, and may even have to go lower than that as the heat wave is just continuing here and it is really getting warm. But it would be good to get something ramped up! I'm game.

vaughan
07-25-2006, 03:53 AM
Purely for the spirit of the gauntlet :shock: I could assist the team's effort with some GHz :cool:

We need to ask Bok to add Team Phoenix Rising to his stats pages ... so we can keep an eye on 'em :twisted:

Brucifer
07-25-2006, 05:24 AM
heh heh heh.............. this is gonna be like "pheasant under class"...... that is what the "P" in TPR stands for isn't it drezha? That's really the "secret name" isn't it, "Team Pheasant Rising" but y'all just didn't want the rest of us to know.... creamed pheasant on toast...... pheasant noodle soup......

Hey AMDave, where you at????

AMDave
07-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Insert 1 x rendition of "I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's son..." here. Narf! :lol:

I see the RAZZ has started without me. Thankfully we have a few more days to work up into a real frenzy :twisted: Arrooo!

I'm a boxen down from yesterday as I had to repatriate the borg "Two of Three", so I've been at the planning table to come up with a replacement to fill the gaping hole in my rack. :computer:

After several months of maths and BOINC this is going to be an absolute BLAST :explosivesmile: :tongue1:

Murray
07-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Just looked up your team on F@H... we don't stand a chance, do we? :lol:

No matter... I'm ready to race! :)

Haha Drezha :lol:

Take us on in the Boinc platform and not in your best project...That would be fair :cool:

A big hello to everyone else, I have not been on the forums for quite a while now but it is nice to be back :P

Regards
Murray

AMDave
07-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Welcome back Murray.
So, are you up for a 30-day "classic" DC project gauntlet?
This is just much too much fun to miss (I assure you).

Murray
07-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Yep...All the way!!! Doing it for the team!!! :twisted:

Murray
07-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Damn! Can't get folding to work with my university's proxy...looks like I am going to stay with BOINC projects...they just work better!

Regards
Murray

NeoGen
07-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Can Folding@Home be run offline? Like in, getting a batch of workunits on a computer with net, and crunching them on a computer offline, and then reporting them back again on the computer with net.

Brucifer
07-25-2006, 11:53 PM
sneakernetting is discussed in that FAQ sheet that Drezha posted in this thread.

For linux it is pretty easy. Just tar up the work unit and move it to the crucnhing box, and then put it back on the original to upload it. I couldn't say about windows, but if using the simple text console method, I don't see why it couldn't just be zipped up and moved to the other box for crunching.

AMD-USR_JL
07-25-2006, 11:56 PM
It's Pheasant season!! :twisted:
http://show.imagehosting.us/show/1476029/0/nouser_1476/T0_-1_1476029.jpg

NeoGen
07-26-2006, 01:07 AM
Drezha, will there be a top participants table? :) (with people from both teams mixed)

Brucifer
07-26-2006, 06:55 PM
hmmmmm.... we seem to be missing the other side of the race lately? Maybe out overwhelming lack of participants has scared them away :P

Brucifer
07-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Copied from the Team Pheasant Rising forum for their stats....................

-----------------------------------------
Stats updated 26-07-06

TPR are ranked 94th. We have not moved in the last 24hrs.

Our current overall points are 7,846,395 and the overall work units done are 93,113.

Todays total was 6,676 points from 28 active crunchers.
----------------------------------------

They only outproduced us by 5 thousand or so for the day. :shock:

They only have like 28 active crunchers :shock: With several of them having several CPUs running at the same time. :shock:

And that is just their *regular* crunchers without any input from the re-inforcements that would join the race.

On the serious side of things folks, if we don't have *substantially* more members willing to participate than what have already stated their intentions to, then this is just an exercise in futility and we'd be better off if the rosetta and other crunchers just kept crunching on what they are crunching as the Team Pheasant Rising is way past our league in this project.

Murray
07-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Copied from the Team Pheasant Rising forum for their stats....................

-----------------------------------------
Stats updated 26-07-06

TPR are ranked 94th. We have not moved in the last 24hrs.

Our current overall points are 7,846,395 and the overall work units done are 93,113.

Todays total was 6,676 points from 28 active crunchers.
----------------------------------------

They only outproduced us by 5 thousand or so for the day. :shock:

They only have like 28 active crunchers :shock: With several of them having several CPUs running at the same time. :shock:

And that is just their *regular* crunchers without any input from the re-inforcements that would join the race.

On the serious side of things folks, if we don't have *substantially* more members willing to participate than what have already stated their intentions to, then this is just an exercise in futility and we'd be better off if the rosetta and other crunchers just kept crunching on what they are crunching as the Team Pheasant Rising is way past our league in this project.

I MIGHT be able to hook up a 1ghz Duron at my brothers flat which would run 24/7 on this project...I know its not a great cpu but it might make a difference if it runs purely on the project for the entire month...

I will see what I can do :)

Brucifer
07-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Well I've got my systems that I'll use for the race all set up with fah. Am putting them back on OGR until the magic day gets here assuming we hear something from the dark side. :)

vaughan
07-27-2006, 11:25 PM
I've got 2 PCs on the starting blocks. ;)

AMD-USR_JL
07-28-2006, 12:29 AM
I finally figured out when it will officially start! :D

The challange has been laid down...
http://www.amdusers.com/modules.php?...&p=33707#33707

Month long race...largest amount of points gained in the month (August 1st till end of August) wins

So go ahead start folding so we can have a really big :pottytrain5:

NeoGen
07-28-2006, 10:27 AM
August 1st... but what's the time zone? Or is it GMT?
If, for example it is on the timezone of Australia then it'll start at July 31st for me... :P

AMDave
07-28-2006, 12:20 PM
seize the moment - bwhite is in da house :!:

Hiya bwhite,
D'ya fancy dusting off the old canvas on this one?
Its an ol'e fashion can of whoopass (one way or the other)
We haven't done this in a while.
I don't think we've quite hit a quorum yet.

Brucifer
07-28-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't think we've quite hit a quorum yet.

I agree... we most definitely need some more players on this effort here, or otherwise everyone is better to just continue on the projects they have their main effort in so they don't lose position.

As for a start time, nothing is wrong with GMT in my book. :)

Big Whiskey
07-28-2006, 08:37 PM
when my Semprons finish their monster Sztaki units (120hrs on one, 88hrs on the other) I'll start them on FaH

I got a 2200+ running Ubuntu I'll see if I can get that to work

the other three will be running Primegrid until I hit 10 grand, then I'll decide what to do with them.

sidenote hit 100,000 Boinc combined :D

vaughan
07-29-2006, 01:39 PM
August 2006 David vs Goliath Folding@Home Challenge. For the whole month AMD Users with a starting rank of 453rd are participating in a race proposed by Drezha of Team Phoenix Rising with a starting rank of 96th. Should be fun for all participants and good for the Folding@Home project. Starting time is August 1st 00:00 GMT.

AMD-USR_JL
07-29-2006, 03:50 PM
How do you get it to run on a dually? When i try to run two GUI clients, i get a message that says another instance is running and that one is shutting down even though they are in 2 different directories. I can't run two cmd lines or one cmd line and one GUI either.

Brucifer
07-29-2006, 04:55 PM
How do you get it to run on a dually? When i try to run two GUI clients, i get a message that says another instance is running and that one is shutting down even though they are in 2 different directories. I can't run two cmd lines or one cmd line and one GUI either.

Use only the command line client for windows. make a directory like folding1 and another like folding2. copy the FAH50***** into both directories.

Fire off the one in folding1 with the -configonly switch. For now don't take anything fancy, just use the default selections.

Fire off the one in folding2 using the default selections UNTIL you get to the ADVANCED options. Go into the advanced options and when you get to the question/option related to the cpu that defaults to number "1", change that to "2" and then take the defaults until you exit.

Then in one command window fire off the executable FAH50****** -verbosity 7, and that should link up and run. Then in a second command window fire off the second instance with the same command line, and that should also link up and run.

That is exactly what I am running on my AMD-64 X2 running XP-64. Runs just fine, and is nice and simple, and allows me to keep tabs on the status of each window.

If you still aren't running, then post what version of windows you are using, along with which FAH executable file, and cpu.

Brucifer
07-29-2006, 06:07 PM
August 2006 David vs Goliath Folding@Home Challenge. For the whole month AMD Users with a starting rank of 453rd are participating in a race proposed by Drezha of Team Phoenix Rising with a starting rank of 96th. Should be fun for all participants and good for the Folding@Home project. Starting time is August 1st 00:00 GMT.

The multi-node "Death Star" is warming up............ :shock: :shock:

AMD-USR_JL
07-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the help Brucifer. I have n00by question for you though. How do you run F@H with flags?

AMD-USR_JL
07-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Never Mind i got it. Had to use the "Run" thing

Edit: w00t! I got it working, Had to delete F@H GUI client. Everything is running fine now. :toothy7:

vaughan
07-30-2006, 01:32 AM
The multi-node "Death Star" is warming up............ :shock: :shock:
Just tweaking the turbo-charger now ... :lol: ;)

outlawolf
07-30-2006, 03:01 AM
got a friend with a 2 ghz laptop going to join the folding race with us :)

Brucifer
07-30-2006, 04:53 AM
got a friend with a 2 ghz laptop going to join the folding race with us :)

just keep that silver tongue talking!!!! :)

AMDave
07-30-2006, 05:08 AM
I see 13 members now active in the last stats update and we gained a Team Rank already, just from that.

Given commitments so far I anticipate we'll have around 20+ active on the first or second update at the start of the month and some more joing the par-teh in the first week.

I hope some more members will give it a go. It's going to be fun.

No matter what happens, this is going to be great for Folding@Home and AMD Users and Team Pheonix Rising.

vaughan
07-30-2006, 09:57 AM
What am I doing wrong? Cannot get this PC to connect to FAH.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9510/fahconnecterrorrs9.th.jpg (http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fahconnecterrorrs9.jpg)

AMDave
07-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Nothing wrong that I can see.
I have seen that HTTP connect failure message before though which comes about when the stanford connections are loaded up.
Try again in a little while, 30 to 60 mins should do it, although it could be longer. Persistence pays off, though.

Brucifer
07-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Give the FAH502*******.exe a try instead. the other thing is to make sure that your DNS is working correctly. In that same dos window try pinging yahoo.com or another one you know is a bona-fide.

On my windows boxes I'm running the 502 version and not the 504beta version.

Another issue could be your firewall. By chance is your windows firewall running? Thus the ping test.

Empty_5oul
07-31-2006, 09:34 AM
drezha - can you post a link to the stats once you have made and uploaded them. thanks. :D

Strongbow
07-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Oops I got myself in a right mess on one of my systems!

I forgot to remove the gui version and both console ones were trying to use the gui directory for updates and kept overwriting each other! ...a few days wasted as they didn't report anything but I think I'm back on track now!

vaughan
07-31-2006, 10:53 AM
What am I doing wrong? Cannot get this PC to connect to FAH.

Problem was the Wireless LAN settings. When I connected via Ethernet all was OK.

Seems that FAH at idle priority hogs the CPU compared to BOINC Riesel Sieve (BRS). The way I got them to play together nicely :) on the dual cores and Intel HT'd boxes was to tell BOINC General settings to use 1 CPU not 2; this left a core available for FAH and one for BRS.

Nightlord
07-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi guys, just thought I'd pop over to give you a really important tip.

When joining F@H, make sure you use the correct team ID. The team you need to specify is 315. :arrow: Site Admin edit: 13129 is the correct number to use for AMD Users.

/edit
Awww shucks, found out again :lol:

daddygeek
07-31-2006, 06:19 PM
WRONG

AMD Users = 13129

Good try Phoenix Rising
Are you that afraid :?:

NeoGen
07-31-2006, 06:21 PM
:lol:

Nice one Nightlord. :P

Don't fall for that one guys... team 315 is TPR, not us. :lol:

Nightlord
07-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Worth a try :roll:

Not fair on you guys really. I think you may need all the help you can get :laughing6:

Strongbow
07-31-2006, 07:44 PM
Question on F@H...

Is there anyway you can get F@H to crunch on a 16core box as I can only get it to see 8?

Empty_5oul
07-31-2006, 08:10 PM
ototero i like what you did to the stats page.

see: http://stats.amdusers.com/amd_users_position.html

Ototero
07-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Anything to oblige.

Under 4 hours to go before the Folding @ Home competition starts. That'd 1am for us guys in the UK.

I'll dump my load then go to bed :roll:

Big Whiskey
07-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Good timing first WU will done just after start :D
Four boxes running

Good Luck Everyone

vaughan
07-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Not long to go now.

Remember we are Team 13129

Greenwich Mean Time (http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/)

daddygeek
08-01-2006, 12:27 AM
:director:GO GO GO

Running at 100% power

Keith75
08-01-2006, 12:45 AM
I was going to put some of my old computers on this but can't find a version that runs on TRS-DOS. :cry:

I have got a Model I, a Model III and three Model IVs. Here is a link to drool over. The power is intoxicating. And on top of everything else I have the optional cassette tape drive for my Model I. :cool:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=409

Brucifer
08-01-2006, 02:51 AM
Question on F@H...

Is there anyway you can get F@H to crunch on a 16core box as I can only get it to see 8?

heh..... I couldn't help you as I don't have one of those handy to experiment with. :D

However the "Death Star" is off and running!

Is there anywhere the statz whores can frequently frequent to view the progress of David against Goliath???? Like updated multiple times a day?

vaughan
08-01-2006, 04:29 AM
Here you go Brucifer

AMD Users team 3 hourly stats updates courtesy of Extreme Overclocking (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=13129)

and our opponent's are at:

TPR (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=315)

So they are out gunning us threefold.

Strongbow
08-01-2006, 05:30 AM
I was going to put some of my old computers on this but can't find a version that runs on TRS-DOS. :cry:

I have got a Model I, a Model III and three Model IVs. Here is a link to drool over. The power is intoxicating. And on top of everything else I have the optional cassette tape drive for my Model I. :cool:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=409

That takes me back! I remember following those systems closely, never got one though! ...I ended up instead with a Comart Communicator running CP/M and MP/M on a Wyse50 Terminal! Great stuff! If I had F@H then it would probably still be crunching the first WU!

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=759

:cool:

Keith75
08-01-2006, 06:34 AM
I sometimes think computers aren't changing that fast but all you have to do is look back 12 years and realize we didn't even have Windows 95 yet!

In another 10-15 years when we all have quantum computers will there be any DC projects? We could do all the work for a project on one persons laptop probably. :lol:

Ototero
08-01-2006, 08:47 AM
I've just started a WU that will end in 2009 :(

Will the competition last that long :roll:

outlawolf
08-01-2006, 09:43 AM
LOL

Keith75
08-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Are you serious? What speed is that machine? Did you make sure it is using SSE with the -forceasm flag?

Keith

Empty_5oul
08-01-2006, 04:45 PM
the estimated time seems to always be massivley inflated.

Ototero
08-01-2006, 04:59 PM
It's an Athlon 2400+ 512ram, nothing else running.

The estimate is now down to Aug 9, this year. :) It took a long time for the estimate to drop.

Nightlord
08-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Well, I was going to give you guys a chance by only running with a couple of boxes, but Ive been issued with a stompage warning over at TPR. :roll:

Those who know me, will understand that The Nightlord does not take such things lying down; I feel sorry for you really........... most of the farm is switching over to F@H tonight. :eeeeek:

See you in month's time!

Alea iacta est.

:pottytrain2:

Strongbow
08-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Ooo! a small gauntlet has just been thrown at our feet!

:help: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Superzerocool
08-02-2006, 06:01 PM
A Stupid question... What SO is better for procesing the W.U: Linux or XP?. I have two OS in my computer and F@H is running in my XP at 1% en 30 minutes (I have a W.U of 4M of steps).

My team decide the next OS that I run the next W.U. in the race...

(Sorry for the spanglish ;))

Strongbow
08-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Mine are all running CLI on Windows and MacOSX but I'm sure Linux would be faster as long as you shut down any processes you're not using!

I haven't tested that theory yet though!

Superzerocool
08-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Mine are all running CLI on Windows and MacOSX but I'm sure Linux would be faster as long as you shut down any processes you're not using!

I haven't tested that theory yet though!
I will test and say the results...

Another note: I have a Sempron 64, 1400 Mhz (**** process... so slow!) and 384 Mb in RAM, so I delete MoneyBee and do this chanlenge... Good luck everyone :D

Nightlord
08-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Each work unit varies in length immensely. I have Linux and XP running here and I honestly couldn't tell you which is faster. Some units complete in a couple of hours and have only a few points, others run to a few days and have huge points.

I know it's like enemy territory, but there is a really good faq thread over on the TPR forums : http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?t=27209

Good luck!

Superzerocool
08-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Well, my average is 400,000 steps in 30 minutes (usign my computer and another weired things). This include the native services of windows and another apilications This average is at 75% of CPU in priority 2 (of 7).

In Linux, I will try run with minimum programs running in the console. The weekend I will have the results (no today, I'm sooooo busy ;))....

AMDave
08-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Great to see you again Superzerocool.

Brucifer
08-05-2006, 03:39 PM
I have to agree with nightlord in that I also run both linux and windows, and can't really tell any noticable difference. Those massively long ones that take 4 days, take 4 days on both O/S's on the same horsepower CPU's.

*NOW* however I do have to chide Nightlord a little over his cheap shots on this alledged month long race............. and the Pheasant's alledged superiority.

It's sort of like Arnold (in his young prime) challenging Austin Powers to a "Mr. World" competition......... The only thing you can really say is it is all tongue-in-cheek humor, as Austin absolutely never would have the remotest chance of beating him or winning. Same goes here. I'm sure y'all think your just great, and without any doubt I'm "absolutely positive" that you are all "legends in your own minds"................ :P :P :P

But we are good sports, and are good sports that enjoy a bit of dry humor, but most of all like to see a good worthwhile project that is generating excellent results receive the additional benefit that a "race" gives to them!

And we know that we will be the ones that win the "Coolness and Bravery" award. That leaves the secret meaning of TPR being nothing but :spam2:

Har Har Har cough wheeze choke :deathlyobsessed:

drezha
08-05-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm sure I could point you in the direction of TPR spam threads :lol:

Well the race has brought some more of your guys out of the woodwork and into the project. Hal;f the people posting here in these race tthreads I've not seen post before! :)

It's always a good thing when something like this can bring more people together. :)

Strongbow
08-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Drezha,

I must admit, I'd never crunched F@H before your gauntlet throwing!!!

The next race should be on AMD Users turf mind you!!!

;)

Nightlord
08-05-2006, 06:54 PM
@ brucifer.....after reading it several times, I'm still not sure of what you speak, but maybe I'm to much of a newbie round these parts to understand you.....just a stoopid Pheasant who's goin' to toast yah....unless of course you know otherwise ;)

@ blackheath......Name your project Sir :salute:

Empty_5oul
08-05-2006, 07:17 PM
blackheath - i was thining along those lines. :D

Strongbow
08-05-2006, 07:32 PM
@ blackheath......Name your project Sir :salute:

How about WhatPulse or the UpTime Project? :lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously we should have a race that has a decent project and needs both teams oomphh! ...I'm up for suggestions?

NeoGen
08-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Einstein@Home ;)

Strongbow
08-05-2006, 07:54 PM
How about asking BryanRS if he'd welcome a BOINC race on his Riesel Sieve Project?

We'd probably need some more accounts opened up for it though?

daddygeek
08-06-2006, 01:48 AM
BOINC Please [-o< Please [-o<

My vote is for Rosetta@Home

Brucifer
08-06-2006, 04:18 AM
just a stoopid Pheasant who's goin' to toast yah....unless of course you know otherwise ;)

Hey, go for it! Thats what this is about isn't it?. Basically all I was saying above was that amd_users didn't stand a chance to begin with as we just don't have the number of FAH crunchers and available systems for it that your group does. And that we realize that but that we are crunching anyway because FAH is a good project that has been showing positive results.

Nightlord
08-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Ah Brucifer, now it registers with my small Pheasant-sized brain. Recruit some big hitters and the race becomes interesting......

AMDave
08-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Fair comeback. :lol:

Alright you two razz-masters, can one of you tell me how to get project 2125 to only download on my faster cpu's?

I was looking at an apparent hole in my return rate and hunted down ye-olde node #03 (an old 800Mhz cpu) and found this
Current Work Unit
-----------------
Name&#58; p2125_lambda_5way_melt_4_10011
Download time&#58; July 25 12&#58;54&#58;13
Due time&#58; November 11 12&#58;54&#58;13
Progress&#58; 98% &#91;|||||||||_&#93;
It has been chewing on this sucker for 12.5 days!

I looked up the project and the tasks are worth 392 points :shock:
I'd really prefer to keep that kind of WU on the faster nodes, if possible.

The rest all seem to be getting short WU's with only 250k or 500k steps.
This one comes in with a hefty 20 Million steps :!:

At least now I know why that node hasn't returned yet.
It has recieved a calling and has embarked upon an epic journey :lol:

drezha
08-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Dave, I know at least one person on TPR moves WU's off small machines and onto big machines using a USB key or something. No idea what he copies across..(probably the work folder) but apart from that, no I dont think you can stop large WU's like that unless you choose:

large WU's blah blah blah 5Mb - No
-advmethods flag -No

That should stop huge WU :)

AMDave
08-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Doh. Of course!
"Sneaker-net" them to a faster machine.

For some reason I only think of sneakernetting as a borging tool.
It can also be a good farm-hand, too.

Thx drezha :D

Nightlord
08-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Yup, see this thread (http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/showthread.php?t=27209), specifically #9 on Sneakernetting. Not tried it myself, but I think it should tell you what to do.

/edit: oops you got there a few seconds before me ;)

Anyway, hopefully it's a useful link for anyone else who needs it.

AMDave
08-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Ta.
I'll check my log files a bit more frequently too :roll:

Brucifer
08-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Ah Brucifer, now it registers with my small Pheasant-sized brain. Recruit some big hitters and the race becomes interesting......

That, my competitor is much harder to do. I have to look at myself for the answer in that. While I'm not a large famer by any means , I do count myself as having a respectable number of systems for a privately owned farm. And thus as the expenses go, I get more and more particular of what I want to spend my money on. And I think that is a pretty common thing as people's personal investment in DC increases. The outcome is that private farmers are quite frequently really dedicated to specific projects. Getting them to switch to something else is hard.

Case in point, if you go look at individual stats for various projects for the heavy hitters, you don't see too many of them really active across a wide spectrum of projects. We have some fairly heavy hitters on this team, as you do on yours, but on both sides there aren't many at all that have joined into the race unfortunately.

So realistically, I don't see much change in the future in regards to pulling in soem "heavy hitters". :(

Nightlord
08-06-2006, 08:47 PM
You guys want some help then? Only for the period of the race mind.....

I don't see a problem with it: the race will be much closer, will not impact TPR overall standing or take any points away from them (until the race I mostly crunched on Boinc). It will stop me from poking fun at you guys and still gets the science done.

Only possible fly in the ointment is my accumulated score for TPR. I don't know if that stays with the team, or would get credited to you guys. If it were to come over with me, then I'm sorry, but that would be a step too far. However, if it stays with TPR, then I see no harm for the remainder of the month.

Any thoughts?

Ototero
08-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Nice offer. If the points came with you from TPR, then they would also leave with you when you rejoined TPR. Unless I'm being thick.

Some projects make you keep the points you scored for the team stay with the team.

LeBo
08-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Well I finally got my three weak machines switched over to folding now for the the race. :roll: :roll:

Nightlord
08-06-2006, 09:30 PM
OK, I asked the same question about points over on the TPR forum and it seems that my current accumulated points would stay with TPR and I would start from zero if I crunched for you guys for a few weeks.

In any case, I could suspend crunching on the Nightlordy account, pick a new name and start crunching on that account, which TBH would be easier anyway.

It's no major loss to me on the overall points from the Nightlordy account, Boinc is my main thing anyway.

So, the offer stands. If you think it's fair and and above board, let me know and I can make the necessary changes. Mull it over for a while if you wish......at this time on a Sunday night in the UK, I would wait until tomorrow anyway.

Ototero
08-06-2006, 09:53 PM
I think your offer is great for AMD Users. Let's hope is doesn't upset your TPR colleagues.

I think we have a few people here already that crunch for multiple teams (but on different projects).

Brucifer
08-06-2006, 11:29 PM
The points in FAH are a combination of username *and* team. If you start crunching for another team with the same username, you will just be putting points into another account as far as FAH is concerned. There is absolutley no linkage for the username between multiple accounts. Go take a look at "Brucifer" on FAH. You will see multiple accounts. They aren't all mine. Some other person has taken the name brucifer on some other teams. The only time it would create a problem would be if two people used the same name.... and then, all the points from the two people would go into a single joint account.

On the other hand, take dnet for instance. I've crunched under Brucifer there for multiple teams. Now the team point trackage is only for that team, however when the account is looked up under personal stats, then theteam score for Brucifer is a total of all the work units I have turned in. The only linkage between the multiple accounts on dnet is the "position" of Brucifer. That shows the position placement for the points submited of all instances of Brucifer. Also another person can't use the name as the name is tracked in dnet so there aren't multiple names. So FAH is not like this and is really quite undisciplined in that regard.

So TPR isn't going to lose any points if you crunch under the same name for another team.

In regards to your offer to crunch for the team... I wouldn't want you to think there is any whinning going on here. If we were that concerned about placement, we wouldn't even be crunching. We view this all as just a light hearted way to add some excitement to get out of the boredom of the same old thing day after day. :) As Ototero mentioned, I would be more concerned about your team-mates at TPR getting ticked at you for crunchng for another team. None of us would want to see that. Some teams get really ticked about that stuff.

We definitely wouldn't turn down your offer or points, :D however your crunching here would prevent your points crunched here from being added to your total score on TPR after this month long thing. Myself, I would rather see you retain your points at TPR as you will still have your internal TPR placement competition after this race is over with. And I most definitely appreciate your well-intentioned offer and thank you for that. But in fairness to your team mates at TPR my ten cents would be that you stay with them because your team is still trying to get the highest placement on overall FAH stats.

Bruce

Brucifer
08-07-2006, 02:38 AM
Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully the 4 systems that wouldn't run fah before will now keep going. Finally got them to go this afternoon/evening and get past the first couple of % units.

drezha
08-07-2006, 02:37 PM
I think the consensus is that we're behind Nightlord whatever he feels like doing :)

Oh and yeah, I crunched for AMD USers at one point on Resiel Sieve...they dont know that much though! :lol:

Brucifer
08-07-2006, 03:26 PM
I think the consensus is that we're behind Nightlord whatever he feels like doing :)

Oh and yeah, I crunched for AMD USers at one point on Resiel Sieve...they dont know that much though! :lol:

Under what name? I've done a bit of rieselsieve sieving myself for both Free-DC and AMD_Users. :)

Your team also must have re-done your site. At one point in time I had an account over there. Was quite some time back though, but my name isn't there anymore. ??? Have a good day! :)

drezha
08-07-2006, 04:16 PM
drezha would be the username :)

Think the site got done up a good while ago... :?

Brucifer
08-07-2006, 04:43 PM
ya, it's been a good couple or three years at least. :)

Nightlord
08-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks for your comments Bruce.

As Drezha says there's been no posts to the reverse over at TPR and they are a pretty laid back bunch of crunchers. I think it would definately make the race closer and more interesting ;)

In any case, I've stomped so many over there, I guess a few wouldn't mind getting one over on me, so it may pull a few extras out of the woodwork over there too :lol:

So here's the deal....if it's acceptable to you guys.

I'll suspend crunching F@H on Nightlordy for TPR and switch the farm over to you guys for the remainder of August.

This is not a big loss to me in the F@H stats because it's not my main project. For the same reason my rank in the TPR F@H stats is not a major concern, I can always switch the farm back over for a few days and regain any places I loose. Currently, I think the switch will only drop me 1 place anyway. It shouldn't be a big loss to TPR as our position is secure for several months. It may put back one team stomp by a day or so I think.

Also, anything I loose on Boinc had already been committed to F@H so no loss there too.

Don't get me wrong, on September 1st I'm back onto TPR Boinc with a vengence. I fancy doing some more Rosetta for a while, if anyone is up for it ;)

So, if I'm accepted, do I have to roll up a trouser leg and unbutton my shirt, or do you have some other kind of initiation ceromony that should be kept secret from Mrs N ?

Ototero
08-07-2006, 06:38 PM
The usual ceremony is to give everyone in AMD Users a free Opty. :lol: :lol:

Then you'll be very very welcome. Hey, you know I'm kidding.

Glad to have you around.

Big Whiskey
08-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Apprecitate the assistant Nightlord

Brucifer
08-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Under those circumstances welcome to the AMD side of the race! :)

Nightlord
08-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Here you go.....Opteron (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_8825,00.html)

All you need is to send a check or cash to my paypal account and I will send you a nice little picture of one.

Will that let me in? :roll:

Whoops, somehow I've just allocated new WU's to 27 clients on team 13129.

Now I wonder who they could be. Perhaps, I should just let these new WU's run for a while and see what happens :lol:

Ototero
08-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Err, yes. :D

Brucifer
08-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Whoops, somehow I've just allocated new WU's to 27 clients on team 13129.

Now I wonder who they could be. Perhaps, I should just let these new WU's run for a while and see what happens :lol:

That ought to pretty much even things out. :)

daddygeek
08-08-2006, 12:44 AM
27 clients

:binky: I feel so small :binky:

vaughan
08-08-2006, 05:23 AM
I've just allocated new WU's to 27 clients on team 13129.

Thanks Nightlord, things should be closer now. :thumbleft:

Strongbow
08-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Whoops, somehow I've just allocated new WU's to 27 clients on team 13129

So it's you who has been causing this heatwave in the UK! :lol:

I've proudly printed off my nice Opty picture you gave me and stuck it on a stick to wave at you when you woooosh past me in the stats! :lol:

Cheers for the ooomph!

Brucifer
08-08-2006, 06:27 AM
Ah man........... :( A real bad night for electrical storms here. Just got through one batch of them, and another big set is on the way. It's like 10:20pm here and they aren't lifting the red flag until around 9am in the morning. Was around a hundred earlier tonight, and the humidity is way upthere.

Nightlord
08-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Well it's back to the typical Scottish summer here - cold, wet and windy :-(

At least the fearsome man-eating Scottish midge doesn't like the weather either, so thats a plus and with this little lot running, I don't have to turn the heating on either :lol:

Look out for a big dump tomorrow ;)

Brucifer
08-08-2006, 08:10 PM
We had another thunderstorm this morning. That passed and we have the wind starting a blow now. :( BUT, that is better than the triple digit heat we were having the other week. this wind isn't going to help the fire fighters though with all the fires going on. I can hack the wind though as that doesn't require me to shut down my computers like the electrical storms. I guess I'd better go check the points as I've had a couple finish this morning. :)

AMDave
08-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Got a few more of those 20 million step WU's.
I'm a-huffin'n'puffin', but I'll get there.

PS - did he really say "27" !? :shock:

Brucifer
08-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Got a few more of those 20 million step WU's.
I'm a-huffin'n'puffin', but I'll get there.

PS - did he really say "27" !? :shock:

If it makes you feel better, just pretend they are all K5's :laughing6:

Nightlord
08-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Well you could discount a 266MHz P3 laptop, from the total, it looks like 15 days crunching for 1 WU :lol:

The others? Well let's just say "adequate" ;)

Make sure you double-bolt the doors and give the children an extra special hug at bedtime......there are rumours that something is stirring down in the woods tonight.

Something big and hairy and 'orrible. (http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=191091) :eeeeek:

Ototero
08-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Nice to see on our stats at last. Position 36 but not for long.

Big Whiskey
08-10-2006, 12:42 AM
someone got a welder?
I want to put my doors back on after Lost Soul goes blowning by me ;)

I see our active users is up to 25
we are going need still more crunchin' power
over at TPR they're starting to see we're not going without a fight :twisted:

Brucifer
08-10-2006, 02:48 AM
sigh....... sure wish this was winter time. I have 4 more systems that I can't run now. :( At least in the winter I could put them in the garage

Strongbow
08-14-2006, 04:04 PM
:hello2: to Lost_Soul as he storms past me!

Nightlord
08-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Lost_Soul says "Spero nos familiares mansuros. (http://www.rktekt.com/ck/LatSayings.php)" :roll:

He also asked me to request that vaughan tidy up his slot, sweep the floor and put the rubbish out by Wednesday. Apparently, he can't stand it when a stompee leaves the place in a mess.

;)

vaughan
08-15-2006, 12:36 AM
:buzzsaw:

Yikes ... what's that looming in my rearview mirror. Is it a bird, is it a plane ... no its Lost_Soul :!:

I'll just move out of your way as you thunder past. :hello2: