PDA

View Full Version : MJ12: Need help!

Evil-Dragon
08-07-2006, 10:04 AM
It seems that I have been left on my own trying to keep the team from loosing another place. Our numbers over the last 30 days are terrible.

What happened to the 5 people that was running MJ12 when i last looked?

Unfortunatly I cannot increase my urls done in a day at the moment due to the fact that i'm down to only 1 net connection at the moment and probably will be for the forseeable future.

XtremeSystems are going to blast us pretty soon.

AMD-USR_JL
08-07-2006, 02:24 PM
When i get my new ISP i will definetly help you. Embarq said it is unlimited. I'm getting a 5Mbit/640Kbit package. I'll prolly use up what's left of my banwidth on my old ISP today and tomorrow on MJ-12.

Ototero
08-07-2006, 06:56 PM
I'll run some, but my ISP bitches a lot. I'm staying in a B&B for the rest of the week, I'll use their bandwidth :lol: :lol:

Hermann
08-08-2006, 05:01 PM
I´m afraid it´s too late. The most I can do is about 200.000 per day. Not more than 2 days and we get toasted. :evil:
I noticed that right now only 3 of the team are running this project.

AMD-USR_JL
08-08-2006, 05:45 PM
It's been hard keeping my connection on and i doubt if i will be able to use it. I am getting my new ISP tomorrow, but i'm not sure if that would be able to crunch enough buckets.

outlawolf
08-09-2006, 07:56 AM
I was runnin MJ12 a while back on my 900 Mhz. problem is i got folding running 24/7 on it now and i really cant run MJ12 and a cpu intensive project at the same time, really destablizes the system. I may be able to work something out on the 3Ghz to get some buckets done, it can handle both no problem. Unlimited 5Mb cable so i should be able to make a dent.

Steve Lux
09-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Notice: I've been at Majestic-12 for less than 48 hours.

gamer007 and NeoGen, consider this fair warning...

I'll try to remember to look for you and wave as I go speeding by.

Go, unlimited DSL, go.

NeoGen
09-22-2006, 07:00 PM
I've wasted 80% of my monthly bandwidth on Boitho last week... in just a few days :-(

Nflight
09-22-2006, 07:24 PM
I had a nasty discussion with my Broadband provider over my participation in Majestic 12, they won, I lost. I can't play there anymore.

Steve Lux
09-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Running Majestic at 100% upload and download and Boinc will run out of WU's because it cannot communicate. Run it at 90% up and down and it has significant trouble. Boinc seems to survive OK when Majestic is running at 80% up and down - but it is still difficult to browse the web.

Even on snooze-all MJ doesn't seem to want to stop and let go of comm resources. But then I also have Dimes running in the background (I cannot seem to figure out how to stop it).

I suppose that if I wanted to squeeze every bit of capacity out of my system I could set Einstein@Home to download several days worth of WU's, then turn MJ back to full throttle for those several days. But I don't like it when my system needs me to baby sit it.

ahab3333
09-22-2006, 10:21 PM
I am still cruching away at mj12. its better to leave it at 10% and run it than get your isp pissed and have to stop.

P.S. I am #1 in QMC hahahaha

Steve Lux
10-01-2006, 02:36 AM
Hm... I'm still having communication problems while running Majestic. Boinc is having problems uploading completed work units and downloading new work. I am having difficulty getting online with my browser - having to snooze both Majestic and Boinc, and eventually - after 5 minutes or so of trying I can finally get online.

I use all Windo$e products, W-XP and W-Internet Explorer. I have reduced all the Majestic priorities to below average and I have limited the connection speed to 50% for uploads and downloads. At first this seemed to help, but not lately.

Any ideas?

Steve Lux
10-19-2006, 05:51 AM
Last night I was poking around in my system to try to determine why my Riesel Sieve output seemed so low, well actually everything seemed to be running slow...

I found a problem in my Task Manager while running Norton's Internet Security suite and Majestic12. On the processes page: CCPROXY.exe was using about 1.3 Gig of RAM and 70-75% of my system's Processor capacity while MJ12 was running. This was taking a serious bite out of Boinc resources for Riesel Seive. At first I had thought that Norton's could be running some temporary update or scan process in the background, but after watching it for several hours it just didn't seem to let go of the resources.

I'm wondering if Norton's was busy scanning all those web URLs that MJ12 was visiting. I really don't know but that would seem to be what was happening. Anyhow, I ran a Norton's update and restarted my machine - then promply fell asleep while my machine was booting, and lost 5 hours of crunching/crawling time (WinDoze is now an action verb-Whee!).

Anyhow, upon re-start CCPROXY.EXE is now using about 6.5 Meg of ram and 2-7% of CPU capacity. I'll be monitoring this issue over the next several days to see if Norton's seems to be retaining resources over time and not releasing them, and consequently slowing down my machine.

Steve Lux
11-10-2006, 01:17 AM
I'll be shutting down Majestic-12 for the 10 days I'll be on vacation. MJ tends to lock-up my internet access and sometimes interferes with BOINC's ability to get and report work units. Even shutting down Majestic won't release the ports, or whatever is blocking internet access.

Also my youngest son comes by sometimes to go into the internet. As MJ tends to block internet access the only way to get it back is to re-IPL the machine. He doesn't know how to re-start Boinc, so I don't want to leave Boinc off for nearly a week and a half while I am gone.

Anyhow, when I get back I'll start Majestic back up.

gatekeeper53
11-10-2006, 01:53 AM
Steve,

There are virus' that I would rather have than Norton. When I ran it I had a problem somewhat like you have. It tended to snowball and eat up resourses. That was when a huge machine had 256 meg of mem. I got rid of it and went to AVG. The problems were solved. I can't say for sure that it was the only problem but I haven't had the same problem since.

Evil-Dragon
11-10-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm battling on to try and hit my 500,000,000 mark in MJ12. A few days more and i should find that i've made it!

Murray
11-10-2006, 03:49 PM
I'll run some, but my ISP bitches a lot. I'm staying in a B&B for the rest of the week, I'll use their bandwidth :lol: :lol:

Haha...use and abuse...thats what free internet is open to:icon_santa:

NeoGen
11-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I only run it sometimes and on the last few days of the month. I only have 13Gb of monthly "allowance" on a 2Mbit/128kb connection. MJ-12 would waste my monthly bandwitdth limit in a couple of days.

Steve Lux
12-06-2006, 09:01 PM
If any are interested; at the present rate and in about 2 weeks the KWSN team will take our 5th place away from us in Majestic-12.

I have been able to tone down Majestic-12 where it no longer locks me out from internet access. (I used to have to re-boot to regain internet access) It's only running at about 1/2 to 1/3 of my capacity, but at least it is no longer hogging resources.

Commonly there are only 3 and sometimes 4 from AMD Users working on this project.

Lagu
12-06-2006, 09:44 PM
I have tried run it last week during the night using 10 workers but the successes is too low to be acceptable so I shouted down the node.

Steve Lux
12-07-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm using a max of 5 workers. Progress is slow, but it is still progress.

meshmar
12-07-2006, 02:20 AM
It looks like I'm running almost 10k urls/hr. There were 'issues' at 60% bandwidth and 20 workers, so I dropped it to 40% and 10 workers. Have to wait a bit to see how that affects url/hr. Connectivity is better now ...

cicide
12-07-2006, 03:02 AM
My new ISP shut me down because I was 'Abusing' the 6Mbps connection I was paying them for. Seems even though they say 6Mbps, they only mean 6Mbps burst.

So I'm out of MJ12 until I find a new provider.

-Chris

Steve Lux
12-09-2006, 12:07 AM
My ISP was down for over a day and I lost a little progress, but I'm back up again crawling slowly.

vaughan
12-09-2006, 12:52 AM
I'll help a little but bandwidth allowance is my biggest restriction.

Steve Lux
12-09-2006, 07:55 PM
We need a team member who works at an internet backbone location to get the kind of continuious crawling speed we need.

meshmar
12-09-2006, 09:09 PM
There are 96 OC192 (if they haven't been upgraded) running two blocks from my house. Part of the Florida backbone :-O ... .

Now if I had access to that kind of bandwidth ...

Nflight
12-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Thats where i got in trouble, I found out where the local Central Office of the ISP was located, learned how to locate the router that served my location at going in the back door. And I proceeded to alter my connection bandwidth, I would say if you know people there fine, but it only took them a few minutes to notice someone who normally runs a 3mps download with a 40mps download. Bad me, I no longer have my super duper high speed accees. I can not run MJ-12 as I have stated before. I may be able to at the new location of my future work, but that won't be known till early next year!:icon_redface:

Steve Lux
05-29-2007, 01:26 AM
We have some new team members joining us in Majestic-12 from Team Canada:

istvan43, huguesmackay, FiddleAbout and kpmas.

I haven't added it all up, but at first glance they bring with them about a billion URL's. You are very welcome.

Bender10
05-29-2007, 01:52 AM
From Team canada??

That IS Team Canada!!

Welcome Everyone!!

Steve Lux
06-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks to some new and old members stepping up to the plate in Majestic-12 we are staying ahead of the X Grubbers. And Rechenkraft won't be finding us such an easy contestant to catch.

On a more personal note: Lagu and Sheff, this is fair warning. I don't have as fast of a broadband as you have, but I'm staying at it steady and catching up. Yeah, I have more than a month to go to catch you, but I have no intention of stopping. Ahab3333 had better come on back to Majestic-12 also. Just like making diamonds - it's just a matter of time, heat and pressure.

Steve Lux
06-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Oh, I posted it on another MJ-12 thread, but by swapping out my 3800+ dual core for an Opty 185 dual core on a 939 board I am now able to run 40 workers, whereas the 3800+ would top out at about 12 workers before locking up.

vaughan
08-04-2007, 03:14 PM
A warm welcome to all the new MJ-12 members who joined us from IGA today.

Glad to have you crunching with us guys. Thanks :)

Steve Lux
08-08-2007, 02:01 AM
Yes, this new blood crawling for MJ-12 is good to see. Perhaps with time and effort we can recapture some lost ranks.

AQUAJOE
08-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Is there anybody else around that could give a hand here.

If anyone needs help tweaking there crawlers I would be glad to give you a hand.
I did a bunch of of research and testing and with the client and have found how to tweak to get the most out of it.

I have pretty much trippled my score with the same machines and connection.