PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: ADSL 5 port Wireless Modem Router

drezha
08-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I've got a 5 port (4 ethernet + 1 USB) ADSL wireless router/modem

Bought by mistake and only used once before I realised the mistake. :signduh:

It's this one on eBuyer that I mentioned in the this thread http://www.amdusers.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2703&start=30

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90975

Can pop it in the post for £40 (no postage or paypal fees) or open to offers via PM.

Could take a cheap 4 port router if you've got one to trade... want a small one in my room here so I can use one cable into my room to access the web on my laptop and PC. Hub/switch/router whatever it is :lol: (ie one connection in, 2 out ;))

AMDave
08-22-2006, 09:01 AM
There is an alternative - if you use allocated IP addressing.

I allocate a specific IP address to each device on my network and each knows about the other in it's hosts table. I have a small number of LAN devices so it is no problem to manage the hosts tables on each device. Great solution though ;)

Re-assign it's IP address so it does not conflict with your existing router or any other device on your LAN.
Then connect a cable from your existing router to on of the 4 LAN ports on the wireless router, ignoring the ADSL in-port.

This works for me fine. Except I did it the other way around. I upgraded my ADSL router from a 4-port to a 4-port-wireless. This solution for me means that I also have a backup router if my main one fails.

drezha
08-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Recently just set all PC's in the house to fixed IP addresses (turned off DHCP on the router to enable myself to diskless crunch folding)

So currently, going from router to hub, then hub to my machine...

So going router, hub to router then PC's would be fine?

Might try it in a couple of ticks because the cable is getting on my nerves :lol:
Got one already but thats taped down out the way...ish... ;)

EDIT:

Working like fine using the router as a hub.
No longer for sale :D (a very expensive hub I might add :cry: )

AMDave
08-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Bonus.
A backup router is great for testing when things get wierd.
Glad it worked for you too. :D