PDA

View Full Version : Short units but To Completion >7,000 hrs

vaughan
08-19-2006, 03:56 AM
My XP3200+ can complete a Chess960 work unit in a few minutes. However, it will only download 1 task at a time as it goes into EDF mode due to the To Completion starting at over 7,000 hours. As the Progress completed increments this time drops rapidly.

How do I fix this phenomenon?

NeoGen
08-19-2006, 04:18 AM
It will fix itself in time. BOINC takes the first estimated time to complete from the project settings, but then as you crunch workunits it slowly rounds the value (up or down) to the real time that it takes on your machine.

I guess that to round it from 7,000 hours to just a few minutes, you'll have to crunch *alot* of workunits until it sets it right... :lol:

EDIT:
My guess is that the 7,000 hours values was put there on purpose by the devs so that people wouldn't horde hundreds of workunits at the first connection. I remember something like that happening once on Pirates@Home... their workunits took but a few minutes and they released several thousands at once. When people connected they got instantly flooded with literally hundreds of workunits... (where do you think I got all those credits from? :lol:)

Big Whiskey
08-19-2006, 06:29 AM
a quick fix is to text edit client_state xml in your Boinc files(I use Notepad)

you have to find Chess960 project section
then find the duration correction factor about 15 lines down
<duration_correction_factor>0.575273</duration_correction_factor>
just change the interger to 1
<duration_correction_factor>1.575273</duration_correction_factor>

on work units the same amount of time the factor is 1.000000
yours is probably alot larger then 1

it will self ajust itself quicker

vaughan
08-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Thanks Big Whiskey that worked. Mine was over 9000.015