PDA

View Full Version : Messy Networks

Nflight
08-26-2006, 11:12 AM
So you want to be a Network Administrator? This is a prime example of how not to arrange your wiring~!

Messy Networks (http://www.fresh99.com/messy-networks.htm)

AMDave
08-26-2006, 11:46 AM
What a Hoot!
That wall of yellow cable (10 images down) gave me the goggles.
Now that's a nightmare.
There's a life's work in that LOL

Steve Lux
08-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Our data network is in good shape, Alcoa has specifications and high standards. When I took care of the system I removed all of the old twisted, coax and Cat-3 or less cables. We still have some old Cat-5 cables in place because another guy takes care of our data system now and they were left in place when we upgraded to Cat-5e and Cat-6.

Our phone network, well that's another story. We have had 3 different "phone rooms" over the decades, each with their own phone system including new wiring. Consequently we have a lot of redundant wiring and unused punch panels and break-out boxes everywhere.

drezha
08-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Kinda like mine.

Wires twisted round banister's on stairs, wires blocking fans on my rig...

Disaster waiting to happen.

but it works :lol:

Big Whiskey
08-27-2006, 09:19 AM
:shock:
WOW
cable ties weren't in the budget I guess
my farm looks clean compared to those

Keith75
08-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Working is all that matter. :cool:

I finally got rid of some cables and put wireless cards in a couple of my computers. Now my main gaming machine has garbled sound on its USB speakers. If I disable the card the garbling goes away. I am going to try using some non-USB speakers and see if that helps. Funny thing is the garbling doesn't seem to happen when streaming off the net yet it happens when playing any games or playing songs in iTunes.

Keith

Beerknurd
08-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm all wireless anyways. The next house we have is going to be wired with cat5 cable.

Keith75
08-29-2006, 01:04 AM
In my mind there is something to be said for having a good old wired connection. ;)

drezha
08-30-2006, 03:21 AM
Good ole Cat5e :lol: