PDA

View Full Version : Vista x86 Build 5536...

Keith75
08-31-2006, 07:24 PM
I had gotten a key back in May when I downloaded Vista Beta 2 but after playing with it one day realized it wasn't done enough to warrant any more time.

Last week though I downloaded a torrent of 5536 that was released this week by Microsoft as Pre-RC1. I liked it so much that I have been using it 100% since the weekend. The only snag I ran into was that I tried using nVidia's Vista video driver off their site which caused the screen to go blank and I had to go into safe mode and remove it. Turns out the only current driver is one posted at this link.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10846

Empty_5oul
08-31-2006, 07:38 PM
I liked it so much that I have been using it 100% since the weekend

I assume you would recommend it then? what are the best bits?
any noticable problems so far (other than lack of drivers)?

Keith75
08-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Yes I would. Actually since it is the 32-bit version I haven't had any software not work. The graphics driver is the only driver I had to install. Everything else was included in Vista. The only reason I updated the graphics driver was because I had a strange distortion at the bottom of my screen with Microsofts driver that the nVidia one cleared up.

Takes a little getting used to but after using it for a while XP looks like crap in comparison. :D

I still can't get used to IE so I downloaded the latest Firefox Beta for Vista and have been using it without any problems as well.

I actually was having sound problems on my USB speakers after installing a WIFI card in my computer on XP. After upgrading to Vista all the garbled sound problems are gone so it must have been a software problem.

Keith

daddygeek
09-01-2006, 03:49 AM
Your the first one that I have seen that liked it.

I ran the 64-bit Beta 2 for a week and had to stop. Microsoft need to get this one right.

I might give it one more try. In a week or two.

Ototero
09-04-2006, 05:31 PM
I've just downloaded the same beta, all 2.5 gigs of it.

First, it complains and won't install on anything that isn't NTFS.
Second, it needs, but doesn't insist on a 25 digit key. This isn't supplied in the download.
Third, I'll think of something, I'm off to create an NTFS partition.

Keith75
09-05-2006, 04:03 AM
Sorry. Forgot to mention that I signed up and got keys for the Beta 2 which work on this one as well.

I downloaded the newest 5600 Build which should be going public very soon and it fixed the one or two glitches I found in the 5536 build.

Seriously though what kind of man isn't running the NTFS file system by now. :P

gamer007
09-05-2006, 04:23 AM
While RC1 is for MSDN subscribers right now. With the right links and sources, you can get it right now. ;)

drezha
09-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah running this you needed to register for a key when they first started. I've got a key here if you if you want. I wont be using it again in the fututre.

Ototero
09-05-2006, 11:58 AM
@ Keith,

All my partitions except 1 are FAT32. The other is FAT16.

I can use any boot floppy/CD is the worst happens.

daddygeek
09-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Seriously though what kind of man isn't running the NTFS file system by now. :P
A Linux Man :cool:

BTW : Vista Hates Linux partitions :twisted: