PDA

View Full Version : Elementary questions about Virtual PC

Beerknurd
09-03-2006, 04:42 AM
I want to install virtual PC so I can run another instance of Dimes and a few other processor free projects. Is it worth installing? Does the virtual PC software use processor resources running idle? Please Help!!!

Brucifer
09-03-2006, 04:48 AM
did you ever hear that expression about "there ain't no free lunch?" :)

Beerknurd
09-03-2006, 04:58 AM
Unfourtunately... :lol:

Installing Windows, it is using about 30 percent... :-( I don't know if I can spare that just to run Dimes... I have never used it before... I will finish the install and play with it for a while.

Beerknurd
09-03-2006, 05:05 AM
Ok, I got it down to about 20 percent by telling it to let the host machine have processor priority.

By the way, installing Windows sucks..... :)

Beerknurd
09-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Alright, that was a waste of 2 hours... I got Windows Pro installed, and it couldn't find my network connection. I did some research, and it seems that USB devices won't work on Virtual PC, or if it does I couldn't figure it out. I have USB adapters for my my wireless internet access. The virtual computer couldn't see the usb adapter. I should really invest in some wireless cards. I guess I should have done the research before I spent the time on it... Oh well... That's 2 hours I will never get back. I guess you live and learn.

Empty_5oul
09-03-2006, 12:03 PM
i cant say i tried USB when i had virtual pc installed. i had to delete it cause it was taking up to much space for something i hardly ever used.

I found it useful for messing with settings as if it got screwed up it didnt matter i could just delete it all.

NVM
09-03-2006, 12:40 PM
i've had over 24 instances of Dimes running on one computer. i've used Windows 2000,Suse, and DSL(Damn Small Linux) and they all run well under windows XP. the most important "trick" is to have at least 2 gigs of ram and then allocate the minimal amount of ram to each version the OS you are virtually running. for instance , W2K runs ok with just 64 mb of ram.

Nflight
09-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Beerknurd before you call it quits, I would have responded earlier to this post but it is still vacation, so I slept in past 9am.
Before you pull your hair out, go into the properties of the USB device and change the location to a recognizable IP address. Then go into your network connectons on the virtual machine and place that ip address in the default gateway. That should get you connected...

Beerknurd
09-03-2006, 04:05 PM
I hate to sound like an idiot, but there is no option to change that property.

Beerknurd
09-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Woo Hoo... The virtual PC in now online!!

Beerknurd
09-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Virtual PC 2 is on it's way... My dimes scores should be increasing soon!!!

Anyother no intensive processor projects on it I should run??

By the way, when windos is fully installed on the Virtual PC, it doesn't use any processor resources!!!