PDA

View Full Version : Docking@Home Is Alpha Testing

Big Whiskey
09-13-2006, 08:01 AM
yes another BOINC alpha test :headbang:
Docking@Home (http://docking.utep.edu/)
http://docking.utep.edu/

Project Description

DAPLDS or Dynamically Adaptive Protein-Ligand Docking System is a project that involves collaboration among the University of Texas - El Paso, The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI), and the University of California - Berkeley. This project, through implementation and use of a cyber tool, DAPLDS, that enables adaptive multi-scale modeling in a GC environment, will further knowledge of the atomic details of protein-ligand interactions and, by doing so, will accelerate the discovery of novel pharmaceuticals. The goals of the project are:

1. to explore the multi-scale nature of algorithmic adaptations in protein-ligand docking
2. to develop cyber infrastructures based on computational methods and models that efficiently accommodate these adaptations.

haven't seen a limit for testers
they are looking linux and intel macs for app testing
account creation is thru Boinc Manager

they are using quorum of 3 (don't expect fast credits)

:!: Attach with another project running or set your connection to network really low, the To Completion time is too low(says 6 mins) and will load up on WU's, but my first unit looks like it will take 2 to 3 hrs :!:

Happy crunchin'
Big Whiskey

gamer007
09-13-2006, 08:26 AM
I'm in. Created the team too. :)

Got a lot for my 1st batch. Unfortunately I had to have Spinhenge@Home running, and that has no checkpoints. :-(

Beerknurd
09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I couldn't get in. It was disabled... Maybe next go round.... :cry:

daddygeek
09-13-2006, 01:02 PM
September 13, 2006
Closed the account creation for now. We have enough windows users for testing. If you have an Intel-Mac or Linux machine write us an email at dockingadmin@utep.edu and we'll create an account for you. Please write down your comments, error reports and inputs in the forums and we'll get to the problems as soon as possible. Thanks!

Go Linux :cool:

NeoGen
09-13-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm too late too... and don't have an invitation code. :roll:

Oh well... there's loads of projects to play with still. :)

You guys that got in are now in charge of getting our team up on top. ;)

gamer007
09-13-2006, 04:32 PM
September 12, 2006
Revised estimate: our workunits currently take around 4 hours on an Intel P4 3GHz PC. We are working to get a better value for the estimated time shown on the GUI.

Nice estimate, my 1st WU is now about 6.5h and it's a P4 3.0GHz.

EDIT: And I have about 20 WUs to crunch due to BOINC thinking each WU takes 4mins. :mad:

gamer007
09-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Update. Looks like my WU has crashed during school. :cry: Over 7 hours wasted.....

EDIT: Another WU crashed. Looks like it crashes at completion. :mad: Forums say the error will be fixed in a day or 2. Mainwhile, I'm crunching for Spinhenge until I can work w/ D@H again.

Zeppelin
09-18-2006, 10:19 AM
So far we have managed to climb to the 5th position, with gamer007 leading the way.

The first few days was the pants for Windows clients (which of course I started with :-( ) with 99.9% failure rate in crunching or downloading.

I now have one of each Linux/Windows running successfully. I do not have any Macs so cannot comment on them.

There is a big difference in run times between Win and Lin clients, Lin out producing the Win by a wide margin. The scoring is a bit off IMO, they award points to all based on the lowest claimed credit.

AMDave
09-18-2006, 10:48 AM
WELCOME to the forum, Zeppelin.
Great to see you :thumbup:

Brucifer
09-18-2006, 05:20 PM
I sent them a note saying I had linux systems and would like to test on linux for them. They sent me an invite. I've got 2 systems running at present. They also said that there was a crashing problem with the linux client on some systems. So will see how that goes. I've got a slackware and a mepis system running. Will see how that goes before I put any more on it.

Brucifer
09-18-2006, 11:34 PM
I've got a couple completed and uploaded, so things appear to be running okay on slack 10.1 and mepis. Keeping the fingers crossed though.

Brucifer
09-19-2006, 01:43 AM
I'm getting zero credits granted, for valid results, claiming 10+ points. Happening with more than one linux distro. :( Gotta head out for a few hours so will leave the X2 running d@h, and chekc when I get back. If it's still the same then I'll put it back on d2ol and just leave a slower system running for the testing.

vaughan
09-19-2006, 01:54 AM
I sent them a note ... They sent me an invite.
Who did you write to Brucifer? I'd like an invite too :cry:

Zeppelin
09-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Brucifer,
Your post about 0 credits caused me to check on my pending credits. It appears I too am losing credit for successfuly completed workunits. Quick glance shows maybe 60% of mine are not scoring.

First observation, all my non-scoring workunits with both other participants returning work are using Linux versions newer than my version 2.6.8 (but only minor revisions 2.6.12 and 2.6.22).

Second thing that comes to light is they are completing thier workunits in less than 300 seconds whereas mine are just over 1 1/2 hrs. I'm running on a AMD_64 3000+, the other two are a XP 3000+ and an Opertron 848. There should not be that big of a difference in times.

Last but not least, the 2 "others' completing the workunits are the very same people on every one of my non-scoring workunits! Funny thing is even if any of my workunits pairs up with just one of these "others" but the third person is someone different my workunits score as they should.

Edit: It appears that everytime one of this jokers are not paired up with one another they lose all claimed credit. Everyone else seems to be completing the workunits in about the same amount of time, claiming about the same credit as I do. Something is fishy.

gamer007
09-19-2006, 02:28 AM
So far so good for me. Getting my credits claimed. :)

Zeppelin
09-19-2006, 02:30 AM
I'm only experiencing this on the Linux client, Windows has not been affected by this ... yet!

EDIT; Oops, my mistake....too quick of a look. Both of these peoples machines are producing errors, that is why they are having such short running times. The problem then is mostly with the validator, the one long run result (the successfully completed workunit) is seen as invalid and no points awarded. :-( Two Error workunits are seen as good since that are a closer match. :roll:

Big Whiskey
09-19-2006, 02:58 AM
The joys of testing

I got one like that mine is complete the rest errored out

Brucifer
09-19-2006, 04:26 AM
well it's a catch-22 thing. I'm a linux fan and always complaining that there are'nt any linux favorable projects............. so I guess I get to give up a few systems to help them out. :)

Brucifer
09-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Ah, turned out that my lack of points showing is due to a bug in the 5.1 client, and should go away as everyone's system is moved over to the 5.2 client. I've got a few credits showing now at least. So I think I'll cut this back to one linux system since it's alpha and may get zeroed out.

Evil-Dragon
09-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Anyone know an email address to ask for an account? I couldn't find one on the site...

I need more projects to alpha test.

gamer007
09-21-2006, 12:07 AM
September 13, 2006 09:00:00
Closed the account creation for now. We have enough windows users for testing. If you have an Intel-Mac or Linux machine write us an email at dockingadmin@utep.edu and we'll create an account for you. Please write down your comments, error reports and inputs in the forums and we'll get to the problems as soon as possible. Thanks!

Got any linuxs or Intel-Macs?

Brucifer
09-21-2006, 02:27 AM
The email addy I used is in the above note from gamer007. I noticed on the web site today though that they think they have the linux bugaboo figured out. But if you use FedoraCore, or Ubuntu, shoot them an email and ask to test for them and say that you use that/those distros of linux. I'm a slackware/suse/mepis kinda guy myself. :) I'm only running one system on this now for the testing phase.

vaughan
09-21-2006, 11:40 PM
I got this e-mail reply:

"Vaughan,

Thank you for your interest in Docking@Home. We currently have enough Windows and Linux users for testing. We are looking mostly for Mac users at the moment. We hope to have most of our bugs fixed and move on to Beta testing soon. Please keep an eye on our web site for an announcement. Thanks again for your interest.

Richard Zamudio
rzamudioNO-SPAM@utep.edu"

Brucifer
09-22-2006, 03:54 AM
well that sure sux.................. no macs? :)

Brucifer
09-22-2006, 08:55 PM
ahhhhhh............ we are gaining on the #2 spot. :)

gamer007
09-22-2006, 09:00 PM
You can your computers. You joined about 2 days ago and you passed me. :lol:

Brucifer
09-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Did you see that note on the web site that said that they will be moving in to beta testing shortly? :) That means they will be opening up accounts again then!

edit: rats, out of work for linux again..... ben that way for a while. My windows system is still working away. :( oh well, I'll just stuff the stuff on ogr for a while.

Brucifer
09-23-2006, 05:54 AM
Still no linux work. Don't know whether it is by accident or design. But like Andre mentioned in the forum, they are just trying to get the bugs out of the system. It isn't ready for running wide open for points generation yet. So I'll check back tomorrow and see if there is any linux work yet. But will probably just devote one box only to this now except for when they get into testing stages on stuff.

And as is mentioned in a thread on their forum, there is still the windows/linux point awarding disparity that runs throughout the boinc empire. So when all is said and done the point thing isn't going to get fixed until berkeley gets off their duff and makes a chang to the boinc system to correct it.

Meanwhile it's just back to the non-boinc stuff. Truly a bummer really. But I'm still not going to give up on linux and go spend a fortune I don't have just to buy M$'s overpriced product to give away my computer time to projects. Oh well.. as the wife says. :)

gamer007
10-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Invite code available. I don't know if I should post it here or not but just pm me for a invite. :D

Evil-Dragon
10-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Managed to get in with my Linux box, seems he wants people with either Linux or Intel Mac. Added my two Windows boxes as well, but will prevent them from getting work until it opens for Beta.

Murray
11-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Anyone know how to get invitation codes?

Regards
Murray