PDA

View Full Version : What's going on ?

kruane
09-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Some sort of new SIMAP application , "hmmer 5.05" has replaced my former SIMAP application "simap 5.10".......

Now, this new SIMAP application now uses WU's that take my dual-core AMD 4200 2 1/2 hrs to process for EACH work unit.....whereas, previously....each WU would take my processor approx 35-40 minutes to run....

Now, this is not necessarily a bad thing......but I am getting FAR less credit for each work unit than I was before ! Before, for each "WU" processed....my computer would "request" 20 or so "credits", and recieve 10-15 "credits" for 35 minutes work, NOW....my computer "requests" 75 "credits", and in a few instances recieved only 7 "credits" for TWO AND A HALF HOURS PROCESSING TIME PER CORE !

Given that my computer BOINC time is now not only monopolized by SIMAP's new application engine for 2 1/2 hrs at a stretch (and not allowing OTHER projects to run ) and the paltry amount of "credit" allocated..... I am seriously considering pulling my network of 6 computers out of the SIMAP project altogether......

I sure hope somebody does something....Accumulating "credit" is half the fun !

Nflight
09-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Simap has had its problems in the past and in some instances I have removed myself because of that credit allowance frustration. IF your looking for high quality numbers for work units and actual credits granted take your big 4200+ over to http://www.ufluids.net/ on that particular project your machine should come up with about 1000 credits a day. How do I know this I have (2) 4200's.

Welcome to the Team there Kruane :!:

Beerknurd
09-14-2006, 02:23 AM
How do I know this I have (2) 4200's.

Well aren't you special... :lol: :P

Nflight
09-14-2006, 02:38 AM
Look who's talking but mr 4200 himself, hey I am just having fun here there Beer, First impressions sometimes don't come over well if you don't impress them. Besides that point what are you working on now Knurd? Not ufluids or Riesel Sieve? :P

Beerknurd
09-14-2006, 03:57 AM
Just trying to gain some spots in Tanpaku..... But don't worry... Your safe for now. :twisted:

drezha
09-14-2006, 08:16 PM
September 13, 2006
New hmmer application: We have release version 5.05 of hmmer. It addresses three problems: 1) too much checkpints, 2) frequent reading of data from the harddrive and 3) numeric differences between Windows and Linux/MacOS. In our tests the three problems were solved and the application became 3..4 times faster than version 5.04. One the one hand this is great for the throughput of the project, on the other hand the download volume for boincsimap will increase enormously. For that reason we will start to deliver larger workunits of 5..6 MB size that need calculation times of 0.5..2 hours depending on your CPU. Please check carefully if the internet traffic produced by boincsimap stays acceptable for you. If necessary, decrease the percentage of compute power you provide for boincsimap. Due to the identical result formatting on Linux/MacOS and Windows we have switched off homogeous redundancy for hmmer.

They also mentioned they've gone for the new option on credit like SETI have with the smae work getting the same credit. (ie optimised BOINC clients have no benefit)

IMHO this is taking the BOINC project in the right direction.