PDA

View Full Version : OpenSuse-64

Brucifer
09-15-2006, 12:16 AM
I've got to say that I'm really impressed with the OpenSuse-64 O/S. Installs like a dream, and the online update went like a dream. Really impressive. I've got it on an X2 now. Really pops up them screens. Distributed.net also has an AMD 64-bit client for OGR/RC5-72. I ran it for a while last night and it seemed to hop along pretty good. I've got some sieving to finish yet but I intend to do a little playing with OGR to see how it goes. Anyone else played with it?

daddygeek
09-15-2006, 12:54 AM
It is a real nice Distro

Are you using 10.1 or 1.2 :?:

Brucifer
09-15-2006, 05:09 AM
10.1 to start with and updated that.

Twilight
09-15-2006, 05:43 AM
Installed the 10.1 on a 64 X2 4200+.
Had problems with the Gnome interface, for some reason it kept
booting up every now and then with a text prompt.
Switched to KDE and it's worked perfectly every since!
I like it!

Brucifer
09-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Interesting. I'm a KDE guy myself so I never install the Gnome stuff. Did you check to see if there was anything about that issue on the forums?

I'm sure much more impressed with this than vista.

Twilight
09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Interesting. I'm a KDE guy myself so I never install the Gnome stuff. Did you check to see if there was anything about that issue on the forums?

I'm sure much more impressed with this than vista.

I used KDE with other versions of linux as well.
The SUSE defaults to Gnome when installing.
I checked around and found a lot of people were having similar problems as well as a friend of mine (keeps booting up in text mode).
Every time that happened I had to reset the x-server for my monitor.
Never did find a solution to the problem in the forums.

I just tried out the Distributed.net AMD 64-bit client for OGR/RC5-72.
Seems to be running at a very good clip!
In fact it's the first time the cooling fans reved up to a higher speed on this box.
I'm going to run this for a bit to see how it works out.

daddygeek
09-15-2006, 04:42 PM
The SUSE defaults to Gnome when installing.
I checked around and found a lot of people were having similar problems as well as a friend of mine (keeps booting up in text mode).

SuSE has put so much time and $$ on Gnome, that I keep trying to use it. But I end up using KDE :D and XP :cry:

Brucifer
09-15-2006, 06:57 PM
In fact it's the first time the cooling fans reved up to a higher speed on this box.

Do you have a pre 65w X2 chip? I had mine running it for a while just to see what it did, but didn't notice any more fan activity that usual. I still haven't gotten around to putting suse-64 on a 3700 I've got. Will watch the heat on that. But yeah, it seemed to me that the dnetc client was gooing along at a good clip too. I'm still trying to get my sieving remanents out of the way so I can see how the dnetc client runs on it over a 24 hour period. :)

Brucifer
09-15-2006, 06:58 PM
SuSE has put so much time and $$ on Gnome, that I keep trying to use it. But I end up using KDE :D and XP :cry:

Me too. I've just used KDE for a long long time. Really never enjoyed the gnome desktop.

Twilight
09-15-2006, 07:53 PM

Do you have a pre 65w X2 chip? I had mine running it for a while just to see what it did, but didn't notice any more fan activity that usual. I still haven't gotten around to putting suse-64 on a 3700 I've got. Will watch the heat on that. But yeah, it seemed to me that the dnetc client was gooing along at a good clip too. I'm still trying to get my sieving remanents out of the way so I can see how the dnetc client runs on it over a 24 hour period. :)

I haven't really checked to see if it's a pre 65W X2.
It most likly is, believe it or not It sat in a closet for almost two months since I was too busy to set it up at that time.
I'm looking into a water cooler for the cpu as well as a larger, better ventalated case.
The extra fan activity started around a half hour into running the dnetc client. It's been running for about 15 hours now. I'm waiting to see how it does for a full 24 hour period.

As for KDE, I've used it with Red Hat, Mandrake, and a couple of smaller distros. I've never really been a big fan of Gnome.

As for Windows, has anyone noticed that Windows automaic updates will now shutdown and reboot your machine without permission!
I found this out while running a project. I forund the machine rebooted the next day with a message bubble at the bottom of the screen stating that Windows automatic update have restarted the machine!
That sucks in a big way!
Now I have to shut down the automatic updates if I want my machine to run uninterrupted!

Strongbow
09-15-2006, 08:21 PM
As for Windows, has anyone noticed that Windows automaic updates will now shutdown and reboot your machine without permission!
I found this out while running a project. I forund the machine rebooted the next day with a message bubble at the bottom of the screen stating that Windows automatic update have restarted the machine!
That sucks in a big way!
Now I have to shut down the automatic updates if I want my machine to run uninterrupted!

Set it up as follows and you'll be fine in future although you'll still have to reboot :roll: (click to enlarge)
http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/9/25716175338.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3403115)

btw, I've been using SLED10 for a couple of months now on a laptop and it's been fairly well behaved, OpenOffice still needs better compatibility with MS Office though!

Twilight
09-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Thanks!
Figures I'd miss something simple like that. :oops:

I havn't gotten around to trying it out on my laptop yet.
And yes, it definatly needs better compatibility with MS Office.
I just wish more software titles would come out with linux versions.

BTW, as for the extra fan activity, I think I spoke too soon.
I was running in and out all day so I didn't notice, at some point
the fan on the 64 X2 returned to normal speed and has been running
at that rate ever since.

Brucifer
09-16-2006, 06:45 AM
well I've had a snot of a time getting suse-64 to run on my 3700. Tried both 10.0 and 10.1 A real bummer. Ended up putting slack 10.2 on it so I could do some crunching tonight. Will try again later with another HD so that I don't have to go through another install just to get a night's crunching in. Same motherboard and memory as is on the X2. Different chips and different HD's. Oh well. I think I'll hang it up for the night and get some sleep. Maybe something will become readily apparent to me tomorrow. :?:

daddygeek
09-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Keep trying :)

My main is a 3700 with NF4 chip set. and I do alpha and bata testing on her.

Just don't install Vista on your main HD. :crazy: (It was time for a reformat anyway) :pottytrain5:

Brucifer
09-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Yeah.... :) I think my problem was related to windows trashing the mbr.