PDA

View Full Version : Core Duo Performance...

Keith75
09-16-2006, 07:46 PM
I put one of our Core Duo Macs on Einstein@Home and below are how long my system is compared to a P4. I am not sure how much of a difference there is because of the OS but I may try upgrading it to a Core 2 chip at some point.

P4 3.06GHz = 48 min.
Core Duo 1.66GHz = 41 min.

:)

NeoGen
09-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Did you know that there's already out there a version of Mac OSX for x86 machines too? :) Ok, that was not well explained... what I meant is a version of Mac OSX for people with regular PC's and not Macs.
Having a dual boot system with Windows and Mac OS would be a riot :lol: :lol:

AMD-USR_JL
09-17-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.osx86project.org/ is a site dedicated to dual booting MAC OSX x86 with AMDs or Intels. I was gonna do that before, but i found my activation sticker, it was on my case (Dee Dee Dee moment), so i just kept windows.

Twilight
09-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Did you know that there's already out there a version of Mac OSX for x86 machines too? :) Ok, that was not well explained... what I meant is a version of Mac OSX for people with regular PC's and not Macs.
Having a dual boot system with Windows and Mac OS would be a riot :lol: :lol:

What do you know, it works!

Couldn't resist trying it out.
I found instructions for setting up OSX on an external USB drive.
I had an extra USB drive and my laptop can boot from a USB device so I tried it out and bingo, my pc laptop booted up as a mac!

Mind you, it's not very usable as the os is running from a usb drive and is VERY slow. Also it does not recognize any pc devices such as ethernet, wireless or modem. It's looking for Airport devices only.

Beyond that it's very stable and everything seems to work.
I guess it's good if you want to play around and get a feel for how the mac
os works.