PDA

View Full Version : Project Neuron

NeoGen
09-23-2006, 10:51 AM
http://neuron.mine.nu/neuron/

This project aims to provide a trial BOINC environment in which a set of dummy applications will run. The purpose of this being to record, observe and understand BOINC activity and data with a view to developing metrics that will establish or otherwise the quality/reliability/dependability of particular BOINC projects. A central reference point will be developed and updated automatically to which users can refer. User feedback may also be permitted at this reference point.
I think it's a kind of project to study boinc, somewhat like XtremLab, but not just around the machines resources.

Account creation is enabled for now, and our team has been set up:
http://neuron.mine.nu/neuron/team_display.php?teamid=44

This project was closed alpha for quite a while, so we're now trying to catch up on the lost time against other teams who got in earlier.

Join us quickly before account creation closes again! :)

Evil-Dragon
09-23-2006, 10:20 PM
I joined this one, luckily. The account creation is closed again now though.

Brucifer
09-23-2006, 11:23 PM
looks like another one of those things that allows someone to learn something about boinc with everyone else providing electricity/clients/????

NeoGen
09-24-2006, 12:03 PM
If that something means boinc projects getting more efficient I'm on it. :)

But alas, I think for that what would be needed would be some hardcore c++ programmers that could look into the projects source code and apply SSE/SSE2/etc instructions, much like askof did on Einstein. That would be great. :)

B Johansson
09-24-2006, 04:50 PM
There is always someone who benefits on your Boinc computer time.
But if the Team is present in the project you can give it a test period.

I was lycky too get in . :D
The credit output is god at this stage. :D

Have fun and try too make the team reach the top

B Johansson

gamer007
09-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Hey B Johansson. Nice job taking over my 1st spot. :P

I have one WU thats been crunching for over 14hrs @ 67% done. No way I'm restarting my computer. :twisted:

EDIT:

September 24, 2006
Project Stage remains Pre Alpha. A small error has led to a big problem. Some WUs appear to be taking far longer than expected. This is a mistake. If you see anything taking longer than 120 minutes then that WU is probably faulty and should be aborted. This 120 mins in based upon a Windows XP 2.8 Non HT Intel. A large number of WUs have been cancelled to avoid them going out. 09:49 GMT

Damnit! :cry:

NeoGen
09-24-2006, 06:04 PM
But I think they still award credits for those long running workunits :)

B Johansson
09-24-2006, 06:21 PM
sorry gamer007

This is the latest news from the Projekt
:!:
September 24, 2006
Project Stage remains Pre Alpha. A small error has led to a big problem. Some WUs appear to be taking far longer than expected. This is a mistake. If you see anything taking longer than 120 minutes then that WU is probably faulty and should be aborted. This 120 mins in based upon a Windows XP 2.8 Non HT Intel. A large number of WUs have been cancelled to avoid them going out. 09:49 GMT

I have return 2 long one´s and have got good credit 450 / wu

B Johansson

gamer007
09-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Well.. I cancelled it anyway.

Anonymous
09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
I have a problem How can a "small error" lead to a big problem? It seems to me that the result of any error determines the severity of the error. Therefore big problem = big error.

NeoGen
09-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Small error just on 1 computer = small error.

Small error spread on 100+ computers = big headaches to alot of people ;)

Steve Lux
09-29-2006, 12:39 AM
I tried running Rosetta for a bit once. The WU's would go along nicely then start counting backwards from 99% complete. I think I'll stick with more established projects. At least most of the bugs and kinks will be worked out.

gamer007
09-30-2006, 05:10 AM
I think I got an abnormal WU. 14 hours and only 20% done! :shock:

But this time, I'm leaving it in hopes of gaining a huge pile of credits. :twisted:

B Johansson
09-30-2006, 09:51 AM
I just finished a wu that had run for 28 hours but i gave me heavy credit
1086 .

B Johansson

B Johansson
10-02-2006, 07:52 PM
The project has moved from Pre-Alpha to Alpha.

And is changing system for credit and validation.
Read more about it on http://neuron.mine.nu/neuron/

simple the one who claims less for the Wu that´s what you get.

I keep on with the project and Amd Users are now in the 4:th place.

some words from me up her in the north :)

B Johansson

gamer007
10-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Damn, I was liking the quorum of 1. :(

And I finally finished my WU that took almost 3 days worth. Just over 1700 credits taken in. :)

B Johansson
10-03-2006, 06:24 AM
Nice credit Gamer007

Now it is ?? in what credit you get.
like many other projects

B Johansson

B Johansson
10-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Welcome Beerknurd :D

I hope you continue to run this project.
We need all the credit we can get too keep Amd Users position
in the team ranking

B Johansson

velociraptor
10-25-2006, 07:37 PM
hi......

does anybody knows when the acount creation for this project will be open again??

thanks,
velociraptor

NeoGen
10-25-2006, 10:51 PM
There are no talks about it in the message boards, so I'm guessing that they're not opening up for more people again so fast.
The site is showing a bit weird (especially the message boards), and the news say they're installing UPS's, so it's still a time of transition right now.

velociraptor
10-26-2006, 02:36 AM
this is pretty sad because i´d like to participate in such a project,but i´m feeling like :eusa_wall:....
but it seems that i have to wait.......

thanks for responding.........
vel

Nflight
12-12-2006, 09:10 PM
December 11, 2006. 22:19 GMT Project Stage - Alpha. Reminder. The project will be largely unavailable for approximately three weeks commencing Friday 15th December 2006 as first notified on 9 October 2006. The stock of work units will be run down between now and that commencement date. This means there may or may not be work, web access and data exports over this period - at best it will be sporadic if at all. We will attempt to let people get their completed units back before turning off. Thank you