PDA

View Full Version : Best antivirus'

Murray
09-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi Everyone
Just wondering what the best antivirus software is currently available. I am currently using Norton, which I find slow and resource hungry...any alternatives or is Norton the best?

Regards
Murray

Strongbow
09-28-2006, 02:58 PM
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

drezha
09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
I use Avast
http://www.avast.com/

Niceest one I've found. I don't particulary like AVG.

Evil-Dragon
09-28-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm using Eset Nod32: http://www.eset.com/products/index.php

Murray
09-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Wow, thanks for the response guys...anyone used all three?...I am just trying to narrow it down to one, but obviously there are a lot out there. Are they all as effective as Norton?

Regards
Murray

Strongbow
09-28-2006, 03:31 PM
I got rid of Norton when I had a virus that kept coming back to haunt me! Installed AVG and it got rid of it immediately and for good! Never looked back since, it also doesn't take up that much resource!

Ototero
09-28-2006, 06:15 PM
I'll vote for AVG as well, once norton is removed and AVG installed, you'll think you had a processor upgrade.

AVG beat Norton in tests at Computer User magazine.

Lagu
09-28-2006, 08:58 PM
I use Panda Platinium as has both webfilter and firewall. It is fast when I search after viruses. I´m satisfied with it. I have earlier use both McAffee and Northon and I notised Northon was "heavy".

Lagu :wink:

vaughan
09-29-2006, 12:09 AM
I use AVG Registered version on most of my rigs. Abandoned Norton as the "suite" got too big and chewed up resources and HDD space. Also was comparatively expensive to get subscription updates. AVG is very economical and has 2 year subscription terms, not 1. I also disliked the fact that Symantec always pushed you to get an upgrade and not a subscription renewal. Also they stopped support for older Windows versions too early for my liking.

Lisa uses the latest Norton Suite on her P4. It pops up messages every so often and she seeks my help. Wish I could put it in "quiet" mode :)

On her XPS she has a Dell supplied McAfee suite. I don't really like it but she does because it just runs quietly in the background. It pops up rarely with an update message.

I have Zone Alarm Security Suite on the XP3000+ and this seems well behaved.

Steve Lux
09-29-2006, 12:32 AM
I still use Nortons' Internet Security suite.

Had a problem with it a few years ago when it failed to prevent me from being attacked by a version of NetSky, also Norton's would not remove it. Basically I had to start my system up in DOS/Safe mode and use command-line DOS commands to change the afflicting file attributes and then remove them from my system.

I really ought to change to another vendor for protection.

Murray
10-01-2006, 11:06 AM
I use AVG Registered version on most of my rigs. Abandoned Norton as the "suite" got too big and chewed up resources and HDD space. Also was comparatively expensive to get subscription updates. AVG is very economical and has 2 year subscription terms, not 1. I also disliked the fact that Symantec always pushed you to get an upgrade and not a subscription renewal. Also they stopped support for older Windows versions too early for my liking.

Lisa uses the latest Norton Suite on her P4. It pops up messages every so often and she seeks my help. Wish I could put it in "quiet" mode :)

On her XPS she has a Dell supplied McAfee suite. I don't really like it but she does because it just runs quietly in the background. It pops up rarely with an update message.

I have Zone Alarm Security Suite on the XP3000+ and this seems well behaved.

I think I am going to go with AVG...what are the benefits of buying registered version in your experience and has anyone used ewido anti spayware which is also offered by grisoft?

Regards
Murray

AMDave
10-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I can't fault AVG since the last lot of updates.

Their comparison review by Scott Finnie (SFNL newletter - high recommend it) has also improved.

Murray
10-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Well I am using AVG at the moment and I am pleasantly suprised...its great:)

Brucifer
10-06-2006, 03:32 PM
I use the registered AVG network edition. Left Norton's years ago and haven't looked back.

Beerknurd
10-06-2006, 03:56 PM
I also use AVG. I have never had a problem...

daddygeek
10-07-2006, 02:55 PM
AVG on all my Windoz boxes

spikey_richie
11-05-2006, 04:28 AM
AVG this end. Norton is a huge resource hog, and NOD was playing up on my PC with ZoneAlarm so I got rid.

I haven't tried Avast, but all the people I've recommended AVG to (must be 30+) have been very happy with it.

Scooter
11-05-2006, 04:36 AM
I use a version of Symantec corporate its basically norton but without all the bells and whistles so it doesnt eat up all the resourses and runs a whole lot faster

drezha
11-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Is it worth installing AV on linux? I've not got any installed yet and was wondering if I should.

BlackAdder
11-05-2006, 02:18 PM
I use AVG also on all my windows boxes too. I tried the Ewido program and really can't see much difference in how it works compaired to Spybot. It does have a lot of extra features that Spybot doesn't have which I think are useful. I also like the Symantec av corporate edition but I'm not running that at this moment.

LeBo
11-06-2006, 01:40 AM
I use NOD32 from Eset. Very fast scanner and fast updates.:icon_cool:

gamer007
11-06-2006, 02:35 AM
Same here. I like NOD32. Small memory usage, fast scans, regular updates. :)

Brucifer
11-06-2006, 03:11 AM
I use registered AVG.

spikey_richie
11-19-2006, 07:33 PM
http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3263