PDA

View Full Version : Starting Up

drezha
09-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Right I was considering to start this going on my Core Duo along with folding on one core. (I tried 1x folding and 1 x LLR for Riesel Sieve but with F@H running, the LLR takes a hit and works half as fast whereas Folding seems fine running two instances (one appears fine and the other seems fairly right)

Anyhow, I was told the RC and OGR have small cache requirements (something that was slowing the LLR down I was told)

In cases like these you may want to choose different projects per CPU to maximise on usage. If you need really small footprint projects, I know that RC5 and OGR from distributed.net are, either of which can work substantially out of the CPU cache and therefore not choke memory bandwidth or other resources.

Can anyone confirm that?

And the stats are down at the minute...does this mean any work I start now wont count?
Can I only work on RC5 or OCR?
Whats the easiest way to set it up?
Can I select whether to run on batteries or not?
How do I add myself to the team?

EDIT:

After a brief look, it appears I can set it to only work RC5 if I like and I can not run when it's on batteries.

Ototero
09-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Drezha,

The default setup for Dnet is for it to run RC5 and OGR, but only 1 at a time, work for each will be downloaded, 1 RC5 batch will be crunched then 1 batch of OGR, then it's all send back for some more.

All work crunched is recorded even though the stats server is down.

Brucifer
09-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Also the default setup is to run (2) instances as in auto-detect the number of cpu's. So you need to go into config, and in the cpu config section get rid of the -1 which stands for auto-detect, and just put in a plain 1 which means only run 1 cpu.

And then there shouldn't be any hit or imapct on your running folding. :)

drezha
09-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Cheers guys :D

From reading there FAQ it looks like I need to wait until the stats is up and going again before I join the team.

Is setting it to only RC5 frowned upon? It looks like RC5 needs a bigger hand than OGR. And from trying to to understand what the hell OGR is about is a bit hard at the mo :lol:

I'd noticed the two instances so I'll have to sort that out cheers :)

Any idea how fast it should run on a Core Duo 1.6Ghz?

Decided it was finally time to take up a slighlty more permenant role in AMD User's. Espcially after blackheath's suggestion of my laptop. Take it as a thank you :P

Brucifer
09-30-2006, 10:15 PM
From reading there FAQ it looks like I need to wait until the stats is up and going again before I join the team.

You can just go ahead and change the team thing. It will run through for the date it was done and everything contributed after that will be credited to the new team.

Is setting it to only RC5 frowned upon? It looks like RC5 needs a bigger hand than OGR. And from trying to to understand what the hell OGR is about is a bit hard at the mo :lol:

Set it for whatever you want. I have mine set to run only OGR. Every now and then I change it and run a little RC5. There isn't anyone here that is going to complain about someone not running both OGR and RC5. The team is happy just to get the points, as is about any team! :)

Any idea how fast it should run on a Core Duo 1.6Ghz?

Decided it was finally time to take up a slighlty more permenant role in AMD User's. Espcially after blackheath's suggestion of my laptop. Take it as a thank you :P

No idea how fast it should run. I just found out the other day what an e6400 would do on PSP combined sieving. Haven't talked to anyone that has run it for distributed.net yet. But when you try it, post it so the rest of us know! :D

As for the "more permanent role" I can relate to that too. I spend more and more time here as time goes by, and I would probably have to say that as far as Bok and some others at my "old" team that they probably now consider me an AMD_Users member as 90% of my crunching has been here for some time now. :) And I'm sure that absolutely no one would complain about you crunching for the team, or joining it, or considering yourself a "dual citizen" as you have been an active and most welcome person here! We are just happy to have you participating in whatever manner you choose to participate with us in!!! :D

drezha
09-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Cheers Brucifer. :D

Folding core 2 is now uninstalled as a service and has the oneunit flag set.

Another 1 day and 11 hours for that WU left :? Maybe 2 folding instances DOES slow it down. (But seems about the average score accoding to fahinfo website)

Will get it up and going on Monday morning then and see what happens. Hopefully it wont be affected much by Folding and wont affect folding much. :)

vaughan
10-01-2006, 02:01 AM
RC5 ~4.42 million keys/sec
OGR 25 ~21.75 M nodes / sec

DNet auto-detected the CPU as core #6 GO 2-pipe whatever that means.

Toshiba Satellite Intel Core Duo T2300 1.66GHz Win XP Pro SP2 with 1.5MB DDR2 PC2-4300 (266MHz) ram.

Brucifer
10-01-2006, 04:58 AM
did you have any heating issues?

drezha
10-01-2006, 09:52 AM
cheer vaughan. :)

I guess thats helpful but would be better if I could know how many keys a WU is and what other CPU's do.

Brucifer, I've been running folding 24/7 on my laptop since it arrived and it's had no trouble what so ever :D

drezha
10-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Here's what some of my ini is (missed the email :wink: )

[misc]
project-priority=RC5-72,OGR-P2=0

[display]
progress-indicator=auto-sense

[processor-usage]
max-threads=0

If I'm right, that should run single threaded and only run RC5-72 right?

Zeppelin
10-01-2006, 12:50 PM
That is correct, you will only recieve RC5-72 work.

You can control how often the client contacts the keyserver and how much work to downoad at a time by adding this to the ini file;

[rc5-72]
fetch-time-threshold=2

Or;

In the configuration utility > 2) Buffer and Buffer Update Options > 13) Fetch time threshold (in hours) ==> RC5-72=2

Brucifer
10-01-2006, 01:59 PM
distributed.net client configuration: Performance related options
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Core selection ==> RC5-72=-1,OGR-P2=-1
2) Number of crunchers to run simultaneously ==> -1 (auto-detect)
3) Priority level to run at ==> 0 (lowest/at-idle)

0) Return to main menu

Choice -->

distributed.net client configuration: Performance related options
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of crunchers to run simultaneously:

This option specifies the number of threads you want the client to work on.
On multi-processor machines this should be set to the number of processors
available or to -1 to have the client attempt to auto-detect the number of
processors. Multi-threaded clients can be forced to run single-threaded by
setting this option to zero.

Default Setting: -1
Current Setting: -1
New Setting --> -1

This is where I set it to "1" to only run one cruncher and leave one cpu free to run something else.

drezha
10-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Cheers both,. I assume that 0 or 1 has the same affect because
Multi-threaded clients can be forced to run single-threaded by
setting this option to zero.