PDA

View Full Version : So there I was...

Brucifer
10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
sitting in my chair in front of me keyboard with my right hand uponst der mouser. I clicked der mouser to download der email, and POOOOF!!!!!

There it was, a message to ME, from the BOINC seti@home team. Telling me just how much they missed me and needed me to come back to the fold.

And if I would'nt do that, then they asked me to complete their questionaire and pushed me off to their boinc site, where they asked the same old questions, with the same old answers with radio buttons. So once more I went to the bottom of t he form to the comments section and worded in another comment to them about how I don't do boinc because I run linux, and linux/windows awarded points aren't the same, and I fit into their 10 - 90 computer user groups in the really really old farts section.

So here I sit wondering why I even wasted the time, cause I've filled those things out before, along with lots of other linux users that are fed up with the boinc system of screwing linux users out of their fair share of points for all the electricity the pay for to crunch those work units, blah, blah blah...

Well pardon me, I need to get back to my distributed.net, psp_sieving, folding, d2ol/tsc, and eon. Maybe it's all a conspiracy theory thing.... Like M$ paid off Berkeley an astonomically *huge* settlement in secret, to write the BOINC platform so that it favored M$ operating systems while hobbling linux...................... How's that for the conspiracy theory of the day!!! LOL

daddygeek
10-18-2006, 05:01 PM
:firestarter:It might be true.:eusa_shhh:

Evil-Dragon
10-18-2006, 05:13 PM
I had one of those e-mails. I probably crunched about 5 WU's for SETI and wondered why i wasted CPU time with a pointless project. Like aliens are gonna help solve all the worlds problems... yeah. Aliens also know how to build technology exactly like ours so they can send messages to us. :icon_lol:

Only thing SETI did was make DC popular... and that's about it.

spikey_richie
10-18-2006, 05:15 PM
I got one of those a few days ago, telling me i'd not posted any results for quite some time... you can guess where that e-mail went! Correctomundo; straight into the trash can.

drezha
10-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Yep, Guess I can join the club.

Didn't like the project, didn't like it gave less credit. Plenty of non BOINC projects to run :)

AMDave
10-19-2006, 08:40 AM
My email client thought it was junk. I left it there.

dAVE
10-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Right I’m a windows man but I’m not crowing. It concerns me that Linux is at a disadvantage. Where does the problem lie though? Is it in the BOINC core in that it is giving lower benchmarks than windows for identical systems, or is it in the applications that the projects put out, i.e. the Linux apps crunch slower? How big is the disadvantage? dAVE :icon_sad:

drezha
10-19-2006, 12:46 PM
The BOINC core client giving lower benchmarks. We're talking optimised apps were giving about the same as normal BOINC apps.

The disadvantage before was about 50%. (linux clients getting 50% less credit) Thats why a couple of the big crunchers jumped back onto Folding where everyone get's exactly the same points for the same WU regardless. Avoids the credit lottery.

I did hear they'd improved it but by how much I don't know.

Brucifer
10-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Right I’m a windows man but I’m not crowing. It concerns me that Linux is at a disadvantage. Where does the problem lie though? Is it in the BOINC core in that it is giving lower benchmarks than windows for identical systems, or is it in the applications that the projects put out, i.e. the Linux apps crunch slower? How big is the disadvantage? dAVE :icon_sad:

It's the boinc client as that's the one that takes care of the benchmarks and credit granting.... otherwise how would you explain a nearly universal problem on nearly all boinc projects? Meanwhile there aren't disparities for the other kinds of projects.

It's like boinc is the "windows" of the distributed computing world. Just because it's on more projects, doesn't mean it's the silver bullet cure all, see all.