PDA

View Full Version : Quietly crunching away...

NeoGen
10-24-2006, 02:35 PM
...Brucifer hit 2,000,000 points on Dnet OGR25!

That is quite a milestone. Congrats there Bruce!:qgreenjumpers:

Lagu
10-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Cangrats Brucifer. A great archivement:)

Ototero
10-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Well done Bruce. I'll need to do some of this to improve our ranking.

Ototero
07-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Self promotion here.

I just made top 10 daily producers of RC75 on Bok's site.

Brucifer
07-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Self promotion here.

I just made top 10 daily producers of RC75 on Bok's site.

Congrats!! :)

A long time ago in a far far away galaxy I used to crunch rc5-72 and enjoyed it. I was thinking not so long ago about getting back into it, and then along came the word that the crypto challenges were being pulled. So then the last I read was that distributed.net was going to have a vote on whether to keep going on the brute-force in spite of no award or confirmed real answer. Since then I haven't heard a thing. Have you any further information on this effort regarding the continue/discontinue decision?

Bruce

Ototero
07-28-2007, 08:03 PM
What I heard was that if there was a demand to continue RC75, thety would continue to run the servers. But no rewards will be given.

Obviously, the demand was there.

NeoGen
07-29-2007, 01:19 AM
The RC5 project by brute force is virtually endless... I don't want it to be cancelled, but I wish they'd look into the problem and try to find more efficient algorithms.

Brucifer
01-08-2008, 09:04 PM
In reading about Ironbits' post on the ps3 over at FDC I went and read the .plan and it appears that withing the next couple of months possibly that there is going to be a new distributed.net project released. To me that it good news anyway since the dnet clients are always pretty solid ones. Would be nice to know what the next one is going to be, but they seem rather closed mouth about it at least from what I've read. There were rumors flying for a while that they were looking at a folding project which would be cool. I'd like to see them branch out into the medical world. :) At any rate it would be nice to get in on the ground floor of this next one!

Ototero
02-29-2008, 04:25 PM
I've just mega dumped this project. Should look good on the stats tomorrow.

Nflight
03-01-2008, 09:28 AM
I've just mega dumped this project. Should look good on the stats tomorrow.

It sure does, what a dump ! ! !

I looked over the stats of this project and it is amazing how many people are active. No one ever talks about these projects openly, they keep to themselves and you never hear about them unless your a real dedicated cruncher.

The Title is perfect - Silently Crunching away! :blob3:

Ototero
03-01-2008, 10:54 AM
:(, I'd dumped over a 1000 but only 600+ were credited. Oh well, I was using spare cycles on my office 'puter for 2 weeks.

Brucifer
03-01-2008, 08:16 PM
yeah, distributed.net throws in some work units and the first one that returns it gets credit. Then too I don't know what the "life" of a work unit is now. As they get closer to the end, they are probably getting a bit more efficient at getting units recycled.

Brucifer
10-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Well the "end" for OGR is getting close. :( The keyserver is out of work units now so no new work until the admins start scanning through and looking for non-completed units in the database now. This has been a good project though. The dnetc client is a good solid one and the project has clients out there for about everything under the sun. And other than a few hiccups over some hardware server issues, there has been a very solid supply of work. A really good example of a project for too many of the Johnny-com-lately boinc projects. Not many people on the team crunching it now. Ototero and North Van Mike have kept plugging away with this project also over the long haul and were still submitting results as of yesterday.

It will be interesting to see when they shift over to the next stage in the ogr effort. Will also be interesting to see if they shift the follow-on project over to boinc in addition to the standard clients. Don't know whether or not it's true, but there have been some rumors about that maybe happening. But anyway it's good to see a project come to an end due to actual completion of the goals rather than just quitting due to poor management.funding.infrastructure. :icon_thumright:

sentient_life
10-06-2008, 05:06 AM
I liked running the RC5-64/72 part of distributed.net back in the day, because it could run on the old (new at the time) Pentium I's and II's and AMD K6's. That was back when SETI@Home Classic was the big dog. I guess it lost some luster after the Secret Key Challenge was discontinued.

vaughan
10-06-2008, 07:38 AM
... The dnetc client is a good solid one and the project has clients out there for about everything under the sun.
Except it gets knocked out by my antivirus client which thinks its a trojan.

Ototero
10-06-2008, 05:01 PM
My AV ask once, I told it to ignore DNET and get on with some real work lol. Never troubled me again.

Brucifer
10-06-2008, 11:13 PM
I liked running the RC5-64/72 part of distributed.net back in the day, because it could run on the old (new at the time) Pentium I's and II's and AMD K6's. That was back when SETI@Home Classic was the big dog. I guess it lost some luster after the Secret Key Challenge was discontinued.

Yes, the challenge is over as far as RSA is concerned, but the distributed.net people are still honoring the award, and it is still in effect.

Brucifer
10-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Except it gets knocked out by my antivirus client which thinks its a trojan.

What are you running now for an AV?

I've been running AVG for ages, no problems with it whatsoever.

vaughan
10-07-2008, 02:22 AM
I'm running Kaspersky Anti Virus version 6.0.3.837. It seems to have taken a dislike to Dentc. :icon_twisted:

I managed to run OGR for a day recently but now it just fails to run. I see it try to start when XP re-boots but it gets killed off somehow. Same occurs if I try a manual start of OGR. I tried uninstalling deetc and did a repair install but still no go.

Borfil
10-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Just reach my 300000+ , one step at a time, have slow down some as I'm migrating to linux, never thought it be such a dreat system, I'm trying ubuntu on 3 pc Kubuntu on 1 and trying to set susse on another but it is giving me a hardtime to install it, All my AMD had no problem bur my Intell D 3 ghz is a pain in the ass. Dont want to run nothing other than XP service pack 3. I tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora and even now Suse but no go.
any ideas, i have one just trash the darm pc, but it be a waist of money, she been good for the past 2 years. Help/ will send spec later. thanks

Brucifer
10-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Well it looks like things are about kaput for OGR. Down to 48hr recycling on the keyservers. I've only got two systems running it now. Made it under #600 on the individual user ranking so I'm happy with that.

Don't know what I'll do next really. Currently I'm doing some sieving for NPLB until I finish this current effort in a week or two. Beyond that I can't really say as I'm enthused about much of anything out there in DC land now. I'll probably run some rc5-72 since I like the distributed.net clients. But also thinking of just shutting them down and saving the bucks from electricity. :)

Ototero
10-10-2008, 07:50 PM
RC5 is fine by me, don't put too many systems on it, I like my number 1 spot. LOL Haha.

Brucifer
10-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Shut down the last of the ogr clients today, time to just let this part of the project slide on into history. :)

AMDave
10-26-2008, 12:49 PM
*** AMDave moved the linux discussion here to it's own thread:
http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5636