PDA

View Full Version : newbe - saying hi.

moderna
10-25-2006, 05:57 PM
This is a pretty impressive computing effort by this team. I have not done any group computing since the early days of the original seti, times have changed. I will try to contribute what I can.

Can someone tell me how the "average work done" is computed?

Also, what should I read/do to make my machine work best?

Hi and thanks,

moderna

Ototero
10-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi moderna,

There are basically 2 camps, boinc and non-boinc.

For boinc, it is a common platform for crunching a multitude of different projects.

For non-boinc, there are also a multitude of different projects, it's just that each project runs differently to the others.

take a look at http://www.stats.amdusers.com (http://www.stats.amdusers.com/) for all the types we crunch here at AMD Users.

Intel and AMD processors each have their speciality projects where the chip performs better than the other processor.

Take your pick. And welcome.

Nflight
10-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Welcome to the Team Moderna!

Strongbow
10-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi Moderna,

I noticed you in Tanpaku, many thanks for joining the team and welcome to the forum, make yourself at home.

In answer to your question...

Total credit: The total number of Cobblestones performed and granted.
Recent average credit: The average number of Cobblestones per day granted recently.

Tell us about what system and O/S you're using then I'm sure we can give you some advice on how to get some extra "oommppphhh!"

gatekeeper53
10-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Tell us about what system and O/S you're using then I'm sure we can give you some advice on how to get some extra "oommppphhh!"

He's running a 3500+

No smoke from either one of mine yet, I night have to turn them down a little bit and keep them. They are starting to impress the heck out of me. I thought I'd burn them up in a couple of hours at this speed.

Steve Lux
10-25-2006, 11:25 PM
I think the Recent Average Credit (RAC) is also averaged over some period of time, like a month or so. So even if you start out earning say, 600 credits for your first day, on the first day your RAC would only be 20 or so. Eventually if you kept producing 600 credits a day the RAC would keep climbing until you reach that daily average.

And welcome to the party moderna!

I am uncertain about the exact numbers, but the theory should be close.

AMD-USR_JL
10-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Welcome to the team Moderna. I see you are crunching at Tanpaku, which means you are running BOINC. BOINC claims credit based on your benchmarks, but it doesn't use SSE, MMX, or SSE2 in the benchmark, even though some projects use them while you are crunching. A guy called Crunch3r at SETI made one of the greatest optimized clients of all time. Sadly there was a big argument at the SETI forums that using optimized clients was cheating, so Crunch3r pulled his client from the web.

Luckily, I saved the SSE version thanks to DaddyGeek, i think some other members have the SSE2 version. Gamer007 also has a list (http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1638&highlight=Optimized+clients+list)of optimized clients made by other people if you'd like to look at some of those.

Install Notes:
1. Exit BOINC, check in the task manager and make sure it's not running
2. Make a backup copy of your "BOINC" folder
3. Download the archive http://www.savefile.com/files/192971
4. Extract the archive over your BOINC directory, say "yes" that you want to overwrite the files.
5. Restart Your BOINC Manager, it should run the benchmarks again, so don't even move your mouse.
6. Wait a couple of minutes for the benchmarks to finish and then your done.

Thanks and Welcome to the team! Happy Crunchin'!

Zeppelin
10-26-2006, 01:17 AM
If you are using Windows XP_64 as your OS look HERE (http://calbe.dw70.de/)

gatekeeper53
10-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Zep will that work on Vista since it's 64 bit?

moderna
10-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Thank you! I will try the optimized client. I think between Terry and AMD_ I can get it installed. The 3500+ is supposed to be a good candidate for overclocking but I have not tried it. I am using the standard AMD heat sink and do not know if it is enough. I do like the processor. For single threaded apps it is fast and for $90 it is a deal.

Steve, you explanation on the average makes some sense. I could not understand how an average could produce such straight line results on stats without some sort of weighting or adjustment.

Im not running windows_64 yet. To cheap to change right now.

Thanks again. This is great!

NeoGen
10-26-2006, 02:23 PM
The RAC is also accumulative at some point inside the formula, if you make steady 600 credits/day for some time your RAC will continue to raise beyond the 600 up to the infinite so as long as you always keep turning in work at a steady pace.

vaughan
10-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Except in Riesel Sieve where the RAC is broken.

NeoGen
10-26-2006, 09:22 PM
:lol: :lol:

moderna
10-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Wow, what an improvement. Top 20 for the team on Tanpaku very soon. Addictive too. overclocking, water cooling, new machine.........Hummm.

Thanks!

spikey_richie
10-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Welcome to your new home :)

gatekeeper53
10-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Wow, what an improvement. Top 20 for the team on Tanpaku very soon. Addictive too. overclocking, water cooling, new machine.........Hummm.

Thanks!

Only One? There may be hope for you yet! Run, run, run by next week you'll want to be a farmer.

moderna
10-30-2006, 01:11 PM
I have farmed in my past. Had a software company and ran SETI on our 30 or so machines. Got kinda tired of the company hassles and have settled back to restore houses. It is not so easy now to justify the toys but at least 1 (or maybe two?) would make sense for now.

I do like the 3500+ processor and given the low price I may build a media machine that can crunch during the day and late a night at least. Other suggestions? Maybe I should start a new thread on machines or should I extend the 3500+ thread.

Strongbow
10-30-2006, 01:36 PM
You may need much more than a 3500+ if you want to do HD on a HTPC!

I'm ordering the odd components for a new set up and have found that the Core2Duos are great for an HTPC set up, saying that though the same would go for an 4800+ or above as well!

Where abouts are you? UK? US?...

moderna
10-31-2006, 01:30 PM
I am going to start a new thread in Tampaku. There seems to be a really good bunch of tech folks here willing to share.

Lets continue there.

I am in the US. South of Seattle by the way.

Steve Lux
10-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Ah, I did part of my growing up in King county. Seattle, Enumclaw, Kent, Bellevue, Redmond, Issiquaw(sp?), Whidby Island. That was quite a few years ago (mid-60's and 70's).

moderna
10-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Steve,

I am actually in Tacoma. This city has changed a lot since the 60s and 70s. You can safely walk downtown at night and don't have to be conducting business. The house I live in was built in 62, the year of the worlds fair, with a bomb shelter and all. I left and lived in Madison WI for a number of years to see if I wanted to be an academic but .... not for me.... I missed the northwest and moved back.

Quite different than South Carolina!

Steve Lux
11-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Yes, quite different than South Carolina. I'll be moving most of the way back west when I retire (scheduled for 13 years from now). I am buying a bit of land in NW Nevada - in the Sierra Nevada mountains ("Long Valley" - if you can call 5600ft elevation a valley), and plan to build my future/retirement home there.