PDA

View Full Version : A perplexing problem

Brucifer
10-29-2006, 03:10 PM
This applies to OpenSuse-64, SLED, CentOS installed on my X2 3800 system running ASUS A8N-VM series motherboards. When using terminal windows I get multiple characters extremely frequently when depressing a key on the keyboard. I've tried without a KVM, and I've also tried other keyboards. Can't stop it. One one system it was so bad that I just hung it up and went back to XP-64. The only thing I can find that seems to be really common is it only happens with SMP enabled kernels. Just doesn't make any sense to me. Has anyone else run into this problem?

daddygeek
10-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Sorry, I've never seen this before. I'll look it up.

Steve Lux
10-29-2006, 10:43 PM
You probably already know to look, but I'll mention it anyhow...

If you are using XP; Click on Start, select Control Panel, then select Keyboard. A window should pop up allowing you to adjust the pause before the key repeat, and the repeat rate. It also includes a test box.

Brucifer
10-29-2006, 11:13 PM
The problem isn't with XP, it's with dual core linux

Nflight
10-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Since your linux based OS's I would try asking a question directly to the People at ASUS. There at least you will resolve whether the problem is M/B or something else. Either way it is a start and a way to slim down the possibilities. There seems to be an underlying mis-step in the assemblers code, something may have been left out or overlooked. I have only run Suse 9.0 on a 32 bit system before never on the 64 base. I would also look at the Bios and the particluar one you may need is not as handy as you would hope, again try ASUS for assistance. Those are my suggestions. Your comments

NeoGen
10-29-2006, 11:16 PM
The initial problem is in Linux, as posted by Brucifer. Can't answer to it either as my experience in Linux is close to zero.
But I remember seeing similar options of key repeat rate and etc, on BIOS.

EDIT: Oops...I'm late. This was in reply to Steve Lux's post who mentioned a solution on Windows XP. :P

Nflight
10-30-2006, 02:14 AM
Seems I have some friends who are quite the linux treasure of knowledge base. Seems your one driver needs updating, linux keyset is a driver and that seems to be the description I was told you will need to update. It may also be held with in the kernel code, and the kernel would need to be a place to start from.

I under stand these OS's:

Windows - DOS 3.51 and up to XP
Linux
Solaris 9 & 10
Citrix
BSD

Brucifer
10-30-2006, 02:53 AM
I will have to try that on one of the errant systems. However I did go through the online update for Suse, and the system that did that still is rather spastic in the keystroke thing. Useless for anything but hardcore crunching.

Thankyou for the heads up. Maybe the software houses aren't updating that file yet. ?? :) Take care and thanks!

Strongbow
10-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Try adding "clock=tsc" in lilo.conf

Brucifer
10-30-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm using grub

Strongbow
10-30-2006, 05:09 PM
append it to the end of the 'kernel' argument line.

It sounds like your clock thinks its going alot faster than realtime so this should bring it all back in line!

Brucifer
10-31-2006, 02:29 AM
Well some days I find that this old dumb fart is dumber than I thought. I found my "error" and it just boiled down to the kde configuration for periferals/keyboard/repeating keys. The default setting on that is way too sensitive on the X2's at least from my experience. I never had the problem on single chip systems. And since it was KDE, and that's what I use on all distros, that's why the problem followed. Just goes to show no matter how long you use something there's always something else you don't know. :) But I'm just happy that the systems are working now.

daddygeek
10-31-2006, 10:58 AM
Good, glad you found it.

Nflight
10-31-2006, 11:28 AM
I find if I am stumped the best place to find the answer is here. There is so much wealth of information each one of us brings forward to help each other, why can't the rest of the world work as well as we do here at Team AMDusers?

Steve Lux
10-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Simple, we haven't let politics intrude upon what is mutually important to us.

NeoGen
10-31-2006, 06:51 PM
And neither religion. :icon_smile: