PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy)

drezha
11-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Waited a while to update but now I have I'm liking it. :D

The new Gaim is better...no more annoying beeps!

First restart and my USB ports were all dead. Nothing worked off them so fished out my USB > Ps/2 convertor for my mouse and keyboard and set to work...Mouse was laggy. Installed the K7 kernel and reboot and all was fine again :) With a slight speed increase. And the memory usage seems to be down. (Read somewhere the default one doesn't support 1Gb RAM :eek: but this appear to)

Will wait one the stability before I install the nVidia drivers. (In 6.06 Dapper, the nVidia drivers caused random blackouts at random points (like the BSOD) and I don't like it happening but want the drivers to minimise the CPU usage whilst browsing and cursor ghosting in Open Office)

Brucifer
05-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Drezha,

Can you run d2ol on that? I'm having problems trying to get it to run on 7.04, says it can't find the ../jre/bin/java stuff yet it's there........ ??

Bender10
05-04-2007, 03:22 AM
Oh well..............

Brucifer
05-04-2007, 03:43 AM
Tried this?

yum install compat-libstdc++-2

it's not the library problem. this problem won't even let it fire off. You can still fire off with the library compatibility issue, it just doesn't run right.

PcManiac
05-04-2007, 07:42 AM
off topic a little bit here, but check this video out
http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/05/01/13147.aspx

drezha
05-04-2007, 10:43 AM
lol, Bender, yum wont work, Ubuntu being Debian based. It would be sudo apt-get.

Brucifer, I've not tried D2OL on a Ubuntu box at all. But I have tried 7.04 and hated it and gone back to 6.10. 7.04 firstly (when I updated from using update manager) screwed up my network and gfx drivers (had managed to get the nVidia ones working). I reinstalled 7.04 from disc cleanly and then it wouldn't let me install the nVidia drivers (the box kinda clicked but wouldn't)

Anyhow, back on 6.10 because it's been running smooth and I'm not missing much.
I might have a go at installing and running for you if you like.

Bok
05-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Bruce, what does ../jre/bin/java -version give you? IIRC D2OL only needs java for the graphical client anyways doesn't it? Just run it in commandline mode.. But saying that, it's a mildly interesting problem. I've been tracking down and fixing various JRE incompatibility issues quite a bit last couple of weeks at work, so I'll load up ubuntu and take a look over the next few days in a VM. 64 bit version right ? Bok
Drezha,

Can you run d2ol on that? I'm having problems trying to get it to run on 7.04, says it can't find the ../jre/bin/java stuff yet it's there........ ??

Brucifer
05-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi Phil,

While this started under "edgy" I'll continue under this thread since it's all unbuntu. :) This will be a bit long. Problem started cause Suse is having issues with recognizing the IDE stuff like a DVD/CD drive on the ide connector of a sata motherboard (problem is being worked on by the suse gorup). For me it's the Gigabyte GA-M61PM-S2 with a sata drive in the sda position. So I went looking for another 64-bit linux as the 64 bit dnetc client runs noticably better than the 32-bit. In the effort, a friend gave me 4 install dvds for Ubuntu. So I ended up loading the server distro "fiesty" which loads in just fine. First off I loaded up the 64-bit dnetc client and it ran great. So then I untarred a d2ol setup from a suse 10.0 box. (also from slack 11.0 and also mepis). And when I fired it off with the "./D2OL controller:cli" command, that's when it came back with the ../jre/bin/java cannot be found error. Well it's physically there, all the right permissions. So since this earlier post here, I went and threw boinc on it, and tried firing that off............. comes back with a not found thing again. So now I'm wondering if there is a 32-bit compatibility issue??? 64-bit stuff runs, but 32-bit doesn't. At least for apps that I'm loading onto the system for DC. What is loaded in to the ubunto server is the base load. It has network connectivity, ssh works, etc. So being a real novice with Ubunto/Debian/Gnu I'm sorta scratching my head here. So while I'm playing with this issue on that box it's crunching ogr. But I'd sure like to get it going on the d2ol project. There is no X installed on the system, nor do I want it. So any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be appreciated there Mr. Linux. :)

Bruce

edit: I will probably head for the book store today and take a gander for a decent unbuntu book. I do like the response out of the fiesty server though. It's nice and crisp, much more so in my opinion than the suse 64 at least for the motherboards I'm using.

drezha
05-04-2007, 05:00 PM
I posted in the other thread...

Try:-

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

That installs the 32 bit compatibility libraries. I needed that to run Opera, Folding@home and some other programs cos Java and Flash aren't 64 bit compatible from what I've been reading..(or it's easier to use a 32bit browser and 32 bit plugins).

There are specific ones for Java etc but I think those are downloaded as dependencies for the ia32-libs.

Brucifer
05-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I posted in the other thread...

Try:-

sudo apt-get install ia32-libsThat installs the 32 bit compatibility libraries. I needed that to run Opera, Folding@home and some other programs cos Java and Flash aren't 64 bit compatible from what I've been reading..(or it's easier to use a 32bit browser and 32 bit plugins).

There are specific ones for Java etc but I think those are downloaded as dependencies for the ia32-libs.

bingo - bango -bongo :) you "think" right!! Thank you *very* much. Two instances of d2ol are off and running now. Now for a timing run to see how the ubuntu fiesty does compared to opensuse on output over a 24 hour period. :) I do have to say though that other than learning the intracacies of a new distro, I'm quite impressed with the Ubuntu Server performance wise. I'm not a fan though of using "sudo" as I was raised in the unix/linux world that it presented too large a window for possible security issues. Whether or not that's the case now I have no idea.

drezha
05-04-2007, 05:54 PM
I prefer having to type sudo each time rather than start a root terminal session with su in case I forget and type something in and carry it out as root.

Brucifer
05-04-2007, 06:02 PM
@Drezha -- Well I spoke a wee bit too soon... :)

Now I've progressed to the libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 issue as the d2ol app is just whizzing through the analyzing steps but not really doing any work.

So what do they call the compat-libstdc++-2... in ubuntu? or do you have to do a soft link? If so, what do you use???

Bok
05-04-2007, 09:36 PM
You can probably just symlink to the one you need.

ln -s <source> <target>

Bok

drezha
05-05-2007, 02:15 AM
Mine comes with libstdc++6-4.1 installed.

try:-

sudo apt-get install libstdc++6

Brucifer
05-05-2007, 02:37 AM
@Drezha -- yes, that was already installed. So then you must either have a compat library installed, or a link from the one library to the one the d2ol app is looking for. ?? If so, where, and what?

Or have you tried running d2ol on the system?

edit: on re-reading your past posts I see you said that you hadn't tried running d2ol on the system. :( Thank you very much for the help so far though. !!

drezha
05-05-2007, 09:27 AM
right I'll give D2OL a go, see if I can help some more.

What file did you download, one with the JVM or whithout? And was that one with the GUI or without? ;)

Brucifer
05-05-2007, 04:05 PM
right I'll give D2OL a go, see if I can help some more.

What file did you download, one with the JVM or whithout? And was that one with the GUI or without? ;)

The one with java, and no gui. Start it off in the /home/user_name/d2ol/SengentD2OL/D2OL directory with the command line of
./D2OL controller:cli

And thank you very much for your help drezha

drezha
05-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Couldn't get that to work either.

Tried both installers with JVM and they both chucked up errors on Java. Random nonsense I could make head nor tail of. :(

Brucifer
05-06-2007, 03:51 PM

Tried both installers with JVM and they both chucked up errors on Java. Random nonsense I could make head nor tail of. :(

Thank you for giving it a go. :)

drezha
05-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Dont suppose you could help me could you? ;)

http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4190

It is nice to know the 64 bit Dnet client is running faster on the 64 bit OS's mind. Just a shame it's not so easy to get all the DC programs running.

BTW, dont install BOINC (if you were gonna try) via Synaptic. It's all very nice and adds a seperate user group onto the distro for safety and the like, but non of the projects recognise the platform because it shows up as Linux 64 bit or something.
I downloaded the install script off there website and that works fine. Shows up as a normal platform and lets me crunch. :)

Brucifer
05-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Dont suppose you could help me could you? ;)

http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4190
I

Way outta what I've been messing with. :)

As for the boinc, I just installed using the plain old shell script, and run boinc on a command line system, no X. I only install X on my desktop stuff.

Brucifer
05-13-2007, 07:52 PM

I loaded the 64-bit SimplyMepis 6.5.02 and it fired off okay running two instances of d2ol. Interesting, since they are both debian based.... ??? Anywya just thought I'd let you know. :)

drezha
05-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Odd. I guess it's all down to the individual companies as to what packages to install. I know Ubuntu want the distro to fit on one CD so are a bit more restricted than say FC who generally fit it on a DVD or multiple discs.

I've done a fresh install of 7.04 on this new rig and as I'm liking 7.04 more than 6.10 now I have it working...:p