PDA

View Full Version : Linux client at Riesel Sieve

vaughan
11-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Congratulations to AMDave for helping Bryan at the BOINC Riesel Sieve project in getting a Linux client working.

Link: http://www.rieselsieve.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=988

:wav::wav::wav:

Strongbow
11-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Great job there AMDave!!!
:blob3::blob3::blob3::blob3::blob3:

Nflight
11-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Way to go Dave !! !! !!:blob3:

NeoGen
11-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Altough I'm not one, I know for sure that every Linux user here (and out there) is thankful to you Dave! Well Done!!! :icon_biggrin:

Scooter
11-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Great job Dave !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nflight
11-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Someone should get ahold of Brucifier!

Our champion Linux man would love to hear this news!

gatekeeper53
11-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Well Done!! Dave and Bryan!!

drezha
11-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Someone should get ahold of Brucifier!

Our champion Linux man would love to hear this news!

Ah but I do believe Brucifer has a dislike of BOINC:icon_wink:

Mind the Riesel Sieve credit system is different. OH and from reading, it's slower as well.

Murray
11-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Welldone Dave, don't use Linux myself but it's great to know we have guys of your calibre in our team...Long live AMD USERS!

Regards
Murray

LeBo
11-13-2006, 02:14 PM
I believe Boinc projects are optimized for Windows' clients. I tried several different projects on Linux and usually get less points than a Windows machine.

Brucifer
11-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Ah but I do believe Brucifer has a dislike of BOINC:icon_wink:

Mind the Riesel Sieve credit system is different. OH and from reading, it's slower as well.

What do you mean slower?

edit: I went and took a look at the rieselsieve page. It's gonna be slower cause the linux portion has to use prothsieve rather than jjsieve which is very noticably faster on rieselsieve. So while I wish to offer congrats to AMDave and Bryan on their achievement, I don't plan on participating in the boinc rieselsieving until there is a jjsieve for linux with the same rough speed equivalency.

There is the same basic issue with psp sieving too, however the speed increase for windows using jjsieve isn't as great for psp sieve as it is with rieselsieve. But at some point here I'll be backing off psp sieve too. My electric bill is eating me alive.

NeoGen
11-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Most boinc projects have that "slow" credit problem due to the validation process, but I think Riesel Sieve is one of the fastest. Quorum is 1 and the credits are fixed value, awarded on the spot, if it's valid you got it.

The difference will be on the time taken per workunit... are there comparisons already of the linux and windows apps times?

BlackAdder
11-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Congrats on the Linux client!!! OH, we had a well done for taking # 1 on the Team thread of the Reisel Seive forums ...I'm not a registered forum user there yet, would someone go there and give them a thanks for the thumbs up !!!

AMDave
11-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys.

My thanks to Bryan for the invite. It was a pleasure to observe the cog-wheels and to see what makes them spin. For my small contribution I learned a great deal. It was a great experience to play the ball up the field a bit and may I say well done to Rytis for nailing the kick between the posts.

I'd like to add that the Riesel Sieve project team are an awesome group of friendly, focussed, patient and persistent people; and that is a combination that is destined for success.

Brucifer
11-16-2006, 01:57 PM
I'd like to add that the Riesel Sieve project team are an awesome group of friendly, focussed, patient and persistent people; and that is a combination that is destined for success.

I've sure gotta agree there. During the time frame that I was hitting rieselsieve really hard I had many emails and chats with Lee and was (amd still am) really impressed with his efforts, team members and friendly personality. A real jewel in the DC world!!! Bryan has *always* bent over backwards to do what needed to be done to keep things running as smooth as possible. Two really great people! :)

Steve Lux
12-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Not exactly on topic, but as we're 200k ahead of the nearest team in RS I'm moving back to one of my preferred projects.