PDA

View Full Version : Finally

Brucifer
11-16-2006, 02:16 PM
I turned in another round of factors in the wee hours of the morning that should put me over the top of 10,000,000 points on psp sieving. If that doesn't do it there'll be another batch tonight. Been a long hard road to get there. Started in on this effort just under a year ago. And like the rieselsieve effort, I've met a lot of good people, with quite a few of them very heavily involved on both projects. And I've also struck up a pretty good friendship with Lars who is also totally dedicated to his project, just like Lee is at rieselsieve.

And since the start of the combined sieving effort between Seventeed or Bust and the PSP sieving effort, some really serious progress has been made and is continuing. We now have about four really heavy hitters on this effort as ARS_Technica has really started pouring the work into the combined sieving effort. Several of the ARS math types are really into the sieving portion of the SOB project so combining the two sieving efforts is really significantly benefitting both projects. It's been a good ride so far! :) And that is supposed to be what this is all about! :)

NeoGen
11-16-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm almost finishing my range too... finally!! :)

Even the guys at PSP send me emails asking if I'm still working on it, and I always reply "It's slowly but steadily going..."

Brucifer
12-05-2006, 04:48 AM
It appears that before too long AMD_Users will be unseated as the #1 team in PSP Sieving by ARS Technica. They have a couple members there with totally massive sieving power. One of them did a dump today of just a hair under a million points... truly impressive. So any way, it was a good ride while it lasted. From Lar's perspective it is good as it really helps his project move down the road. There have been massive gains this past year with this project which I'm really glad to see. And with that, I'm glad to see that ARS has really boosted the projec too. And it was a gas crunching along with the other AMD_Users members on this effort. :)

Meanwhile I think I'll take a bit of a sabatical and do a little crunching on three or four other projects that interest me.

AMDave
12-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Congratulations, Bruce!
:wav:

Way to set a Benchmark!

I know Lars really appreciates the difference you have made to the project.
I'd also like to thank you for your support on this project over the last year. It was interesting overcoming the distributed processing and collection challenges and I learned a lot. Definitely the biggest thing I learned from this was patience ;)

Cheers mate!
Very very well done.

Brucifer
12-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Thank you for the kind words Dave. :) And likewise, I really appreciate your help and friendship in our efforts at helping out Lars! :)

Ototero
12-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Nice going Bruce. It's nice to know the are so many traditional DC project lovers.

vaughan
12-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah I'd like to add my congrats also Bruce. Its been nice crunching with you :icon_cool:

I'm still "sieving" its just I found the BOINC Riesel Sieve application in its infancy so helped out Bryan and Lee in that project. PSP Sieve was/is easy enough to run but the fact of reserving ranges on the forum and later e-mailing results to Lars is a bit tedious. When I last visited the reservation ranges page was too disjointed for me to work out what to reserve so I haven't been back.

As Ototero said above, the traditional projects need people to run them too.

Brucifer
12-05-2006, 11:55 PM
When I last visited the reservation ranges page was too disjointed for me to work out what to reserve so I haven't been back.

As Ototero said above, the traditional projects need people to run them too.

Yes, the reservation page was a little hosed up then. :) Luckily I had a couple good sized ranges reserved at that point so I didn't need to reserve anything. :)

And I agree with you on the traditional projects comment wholeheartedly. I think one of those "traditional" ones coming along that is gonna need a lot more attention at some point is the D2OL issue. While they really screwed up in killing the old stats, the fact remains that the project *is* involved in some pretty current stuff specially with the bird flu efforts. Just cause we haven't been hearing a lot about that lately doesn't mean that it's gone away. We are just getting ready to hit the flue season here in North America anyway. And I'm sort of surprised that there isn't any boinc (sure hurts to say that word) effort going along in that direction. And that's where they have to put the projects I guess in order to get large scale participation. Look at where riesel sieve was before boinc (I crunched a lot of that stuff too) and how heavy it's going now with the boinc arrangement.