PDA

View Full Version : Bumped again

chaz
09-10-2003, 11:45 AM
It seems Free DC has a new member, we are back to 4th again.

vaughan
09-10-2003, 01:04 PM
Its jrflorance again. Remember they joined Team Chilli Pepper for a few weeks and then abandoned them and joined some no-hopers for a while. Let's start a tab on how long they stay aligned to Free-DC. I'll guess 3 weeks, then they join Team Poland; no better still they'll get spammed by UberoUno and migrate to them.

Jeff
09-10-2003, 04:22 PM
This is getting on my nerves. Team hopping is not a part of this competition. I am going to personally ask the master to clarify the rule on this. He seems to want to jump around a lot. I do know that I don't want all that cpu time wasted for nothing. I am personally going Ubero for a while. I want to regain 3rd position. AFter that, my conquest is rc5 on dnet.

Any opinions?

Bionic_Redneck
09-10-2003, 10:09 PM
I think you have it wrong team hopping is appearently an important part of ubero. Acually any cpu cycles you do contribute to ubero is wasted anyway. Just imagine if everyone jumped on just one dc project that was involved in medical research like folding@home or Distributed folding instead of wasting cycle on BS projects.

Jeff
09-10-2003, 11:11 PM
well, I think it is absolute BS. What is the point of participating in a team effort when I can just beg someone to join my team and easily get 200,000 or 600,000 WU. Gay. I emailed the webmaster and am waiting for a response. Ill post when I get a reply.
Later
JEff

Arminiusc
09-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Its not the fact that the project is not doing any useful work but the fact that it is useful in our ranking and someone keeps being a jerk just to bump us down!!! :x

Madcat
09-11-2003, 01:03 AM
To bad I don't have more points or I'd move them over to you guys. That would get thier goat. :lol: :twisted:

btw - I saw the comaprison between the 1.4 versions of java. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get the IBM 1.4 for winblows. I know it's out, but included in one of the webshere packages which is quite large.

Worse case scenario I could download it now that I have cable back but I don't know how to extract it.

Bionic_Redneck
09-11-2003, 02:30 AM
I Just checked and the ibm version available were windows=1.3.1 linux=1.4.1

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/

Madcat
09-11-2003, 10:54 AM
I got the windows version of the IBM 1.4 :D It's got a nice regular installer unlike the 1.3 version. I guess I'll have to do some benching now.

vaughan
09-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Madcat, I'm interested in how the new IBM Java goes. What are you planning on benchmarking it against? Remember that Ubero tasks vary in size so you need to measure quite a few eg. run for a day with one Java then try the other for a day. Have you compared the various Sun Java's?

Madcat
09-11-2003, 02:09 PM
I have run the sun java versions in both Ubero and Zetagrid as well as the older IBM 1.3 & 1.3.1 and benched them all till I was blue in the face.

btw - The version I got was the SDK 1.4.0 I'm going to see if I can't swipe an upgrade to the 1.4.1 :twisted:

Arminiusc
09-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Got any numbers to share on those benchmarks MadCat? :)

Bionic_Redneck
09-11-2003, 10:29 PM
The ibm site is really confusing. Did you have to get webspere or did you find the a stand alone version of the java?

Bionic_Redneck
09-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Once d2ol and tsc release version 2.0 of their clients you can use any java instead of just sun also if you have java installed already they will have a download for just the client without java and the size od the download is a little over 5mb. seems like the versionof java needed with eithier of these client is 1.4.1 but eithier way it won't speed anything up because the actual work is done in C+ and not java.

Jeff
09-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Jeff,

We had a debate about this some time ago. We decided that the stats
belonged to the owner of the PCs that generated them. Teams have an
obligation to keep their team members happy and do what they can to prevent
members from ditching them. The consensus of members agreed.

I was trying to find the thread in the forums but couldn't find it, maybe
it's on our old pre-UBB Yahoo Group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ubero/

MY REPLY TO HIMl

I can understand wanting to make your team members happy. But it seems that
jrflanger keeps moving just to bump us down a spot. That's ok though.
You are the one that is losing here. Why would I want to run your project
to make my stats better when I can just beg people already established to
join my team?
I wouldn't.
Jeff

Bionic_Redneck
09-12-2003, 02:44 AM
Having stats stay w/ team or go with user has always been debated personally I dont care eithier way because if some of the work is lost to another team it will enentually be gained back when we get new team members. The only advice I can give you if the team hopping bothers you that much pick a project that does have stats follow the person and boycott the ones that do.

Jeff
09-12-2003, 03:32 AM
That is basically what I told him.

vaughan
09-12-2003, 05:42 AM
jrflorance seems to be running G4 Macs so it is natural they'll join Team MacNN eventually.
Their daily workload is pretty high (about 500) so if we wanted to catch Free-DC we'd need another team effort.

Madcat
09-12-2003, 06:31 AM
Discussing the old stats thing eh? That's one subject that will probably be debated as long there is DC and stats. Pros and cons to both sides of the issue I suppose. It does suck for a team (s) when you get a frequent hopper but they are pretty far and few between. Personally I say take your points with you, but it should be held to a minimum. Maybe admins could implement something like that.

Anyhoo, I ran Ubero for half and hour on both the IBM and Sun. The IBM is version 1.4 and averaged 1.5 minutes and the Sun 1.4.2 was 2.14 minutes. Both used about 140-150MB of memory. I had forgotten that I had something running in the background that was sucking a few cycles (approx 3%) so adjust the time accordingly. The Sun version I'm using is just the vanilla version so no server switch was enabled, but I did have the -Xms128m -Xmx192m switches enabled on both. I'm just to damn lazy to install the Sun SDK version. :wink:

I did run Zetagrid with the IBM and it got a 46-48 performance rating with a 512XXXX wu. I couldn't load up another wu to try the sun because it looks like ZG is down.

I was running it on my main rig with an AMD XP running at 2333Mhz and XP Pro.

As to just where I got it from yes I had to download the entire bloody websphereMQ 5.3 app. And yes, navigating the IBM site is like pulling hen's teeth, much less finding any info on something like the thier java app. Also of note. The XP version is sdk 1.4 and the w2k version I believe has the sdk 1.4.1 version. If you decide to burn your up your broadband line and dl that puppy, start the installer, BUT stop at the point where it asks you if you want to install the webshere appy after the installer has unpacked all it's goodies. Check your folders for the for the webshere directory (I forget exactly) and you will find the sdk java installer in the prerequisite directory I think it was. Save the java and toss the other garbage.

If one of you guys can host the installer I'll gladly upload it so everyone can get it. My webspace is only 30MB and the java is 47MB so I can't do it.

I hope that answers everyones questions. :D

Bionic_Redneck
09-12-2003, 10:40 AM
I could host it locally if people don't complain about a slow download my upload speed maxes out at 135kb/s or would could host it at amdusers

Madcat
09-12-2003, 01:48 PM
I could try to setup my FTP server again as I keep forgetting I have cable again. :? It might take me a bit since I'm not so hot at setting one up. In the meantime, I can always upload to anyone that wants it through msn messenger or aim.

I left the client on and by all accounts it looks like it's hose my old all day record for this rig by quite a bit. I think this version is a winner. :D

chaz
10-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Has anyone found another source for the IBM sdk 1.4 for windows? I'd like to try it out and IBM's site is a nightmare. I found the websphereMQ 5.3 application, but it said i needed to have an Enterprise account to download it. Im not giving them all that info...

vaughan
10-07-2003, 02:08 PM
No such luck Chaz! I just waded thru the IBM Websphere bumf until I was able to d/l their Java.

Jeff
10-07-2003, 02:43 PM
Can someone give me a direct link on where to d/l JAva 1.4 for Windows.

In the meantime, I have already hosted Java on another domain that I own.

I have decided to hose IBM Java off my other website (which I don't use anymore).
You can find IBM Java 1.31 for Windows at:
http://www.cheapdiablostuff.com/ibmjava131.zip and
IBM Java 1.4 for Linux at:
http://www.cheapdiablostuff.com/ibmjava141linux.zip

Madcat
10-09-2003, 10:40 AM
I thought no one wanted it. I'll upload it or restart my server again this weekend if you want it. Just let me know.

Alternatively, if you want to download Websphere you are going to the wrong place to get it. You need the freebie trial page.... You'll need to sign up but it ain't like the enterprise page. :lol:

http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/product.jsp?id=TDUN-49EVER&s=z&cat=&S_TACT=&S_CMP=

chaz
10-09-2003, 10:56 AM
I tried to get it before but was unable, I havent thought too much about it till lately, thanks for the linky.