PDA

View Full Version : Booting WinXP-HE from USB flash disk?

vaughan
06-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Is there anything special I should do to boot my WinXP Home Edition computer from a USB flash disk?
I don't have a 1.44 MB floppy drive on this PC and I want to update the motherboard's BIOS. I have the update file etc from Gigabyte on the USB drive.
Just want to check I have everything OK before I embark on this.

em99010pepe
06-05-2004, 11:56 AM
I don't know if this helps:

USB Flash Key Method

BIOS must be able to boot to USB bootable devices. Not all core bios versions have USB as a bootable option. Double check your documentation if you are unsure if this option is supported.

1. Make the USB Flash key bootable
2. Insure that you have the command.com, IO.sys and MSDOS.sys files on the USB key so that it will be bootable.
3. Place the unzipped batch files (batch file, flash utility, bios file and .txt file) on the USB key.
4. Make sure that the USB Flash Key is at the top of the boot order in your bios so that when the motherboard is turned on it will immediately boot to the USB Flash Key and boot cleanly to an A: prompt.
5. Simply type in flash at the A: prompt and the rest will be handled by the batch file itself.
6. Clear the CMOS. Reboot system and the flashed version of the BIOS should now be present on your monitor.

Source (http://www.tyan.com/support/html/how_to_flash.html)