PDA

View Full Version : Einstein down.

dAVE
11-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Got this message from the Einstein server. Wish I had a big cache :icon_cry: dAVE.

Einstein@Home STATUSAt approximately 03:00 UTC November 24, a critical file server failed.We hope to have this repaired and working by 07:00 UTC November 25.This is our first project downtime in more than 160 days.More information will be posted here as we have it.If you are new to the project, please come back here in a day or two!If you are already participating in Einstein@Home, there is no need forany action on your part. Please just be patient.Thank you, Bruce Allen David Hammer

mitchellds
12-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Einstein@Home STATUS

[Last update: Thu Dec 7 19:42:12 UTC 2006]

Einstein@Home will be offline until further notice.

Two disks have failed in the main file server. This server uses a raid6
array so we cannot afford any to lose any more disks. The project will
remain offline until the raid array has time to rebuild.:icon_rolleyes:

NeoGen
12-07-2006, 07:33 PM
I've heard of RAID systems up to 5, and thought they were great... but what is a RAID6?? :icon_eek:

Nflight
12-07-2006, 08:30 PM
I've heard of RAID systems up to 5, and thought they were great... but what is a RAID6?? :icon_eek:

A Raid 6 is also known as a Raid 10, which is a Raid 5 setup that is mirrored.

Beerknurd
01-15-2007, 02:35 AM
This project has the worst servers ever... This project is up then down, up then down, up then down.... Horrible..... Hopefully it isn't like this all the time...

gamer007
01-15-2007, 02:37 AM
It was fine for the last few years. This seems to be a recent problem.

Beerknurd
01-15-2007, 02:43 AM
I will give it a few more days...

mitchellds
01-15-2007, 04:11 AM
yep, its getting aggravating for sure

Steve Lux
01-15-2007, 04:15 AM
Where I work we used to have cronic disk problems on the back side of our facility. I eventually realized we were experiencing vibration from the close proximity to the railroad, so I installed cushions under the PC's and we stopped having premature disk failures. Any time I hear of multiple disk failures I think of such problematic sources.

dAVE
01-15-2007, 11:13 PM
IMHO the problem is that we are getting to the end of a run and only short WUs are available. The strain on the scheduler is making the cracks show. Hopefully in a week or two we will be on the next run with lots of long WUs and all will be well. dAVE.

Beerknurd
01-16-2007, 03:00 AM
Hopefully...

mitchellds
01-18-2007, 03:27 AM
Ok Einstein officially sucks now IMHO!!!

Its sad that those people are attempting to analyze some high level science, and they cant even keep a couple of servers running, or apparantely justify some backup or failover hardware/software setups.

I was attempting to churn out my last 70k in wu's to hit the million mark, but they cant seem to keep their act together. I was trying to hold off pulling my droids of this project until then, but I might run outta patience first at this rate.......

Beerknurd
01-18-2007, 05:17 AM
I stopped running it for the same reason... It's damn irritating... Oh well... At least there's EON...

Nflight
01-18-2007, 09:16 AM
And now EON is offline! I am working by myself on United Devices Cancer Research Project with out fail of receiving any work units to crunch since I started the effort December 9th. AMD users have the project called Grid.org in the stats and also in the forums. I have progressively move the Team up by several places each day, excluding the time of the Holidays when the stats were down but the work units kept flowing. The stats may have a hiccup once in awhile but over all the idea is to find a cure for CANCER! I know I am off subject considering this is Einstein but since that project is having difficulty in dishing out the WU's why not give my project a try. This project only runs on 50% of CPU power allowing other programs to run beside it! OR if you can figure out "how to make it run simultaneous instances" you can run (2) at one time and garner even more Work Units completed. Enough Rambling... ((( I will post this in the grid.org forum as well )))

Ototero
01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey Nflight, I still have 5 machines chugging away on Grid.

There were no stat updates available from their servers today :(

gamer007
01-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Looks like E@H is back on. I unfortunately got around 15-20 WUs becuase BOINCStats decided to connect to it and ask for work. :icon_mad:

No explanation to what's going on for the last few days...

gatekeeper53
01-19-2007, 01:05 AM
Don't ya love the big established projects that assume crunchers are just there to kiss their a@@. No matter what's wrong we are to stupid to understand so not worthy of their time to put up a simple explanation.

Beerknurd
01-19-2007, 03:35 AM
It let me report my pending tasks!!!!

gamer007
01-19-2007, 06:02 AM
You have got to be kidding me. It's down again! :icon_mad:

This seems to be a trend for anything. Something becomes real popular (such as EA), then it goes downhill from there.

Steve Lux
12-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Um, I thought I would bounce this topic. Einstein has been up nearly all year. I've been steadily crunching it when we weren't on a specific drive. But we don't have enough power in there to keep our placement, and our Team lost another place last week. At our current output our 24th place will be lost in about 3 more weeks.

Edited to add: I have never been able to get the Einstein info to display in the signature, and have since forgotten my FreeDC password anyhow.

sentient_life
12-30-2007, 11:52 PM
It's funny you write that, because it seems that Einstein is our most heavily populated BOINC project with 457 members. I continue to run it simply on a slowww march to 100k in credit. The workunits take quite a while even on a Q6600, so that could have something to do with it...

Steve Lux
12-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Yes, we have quite a few team members listed in Einstein. But obviously not enough crunching power to maintain our placement in the standings.