PDA

View Full Version : AMD Announces AMD SempronTM

jlangner
06-08-2004, 11:30 PM
SUNNYVALE, CALIF. -June 7, 2004- AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced that it will introduce a new brand of PC processors to be named AMD SempronTM. The AMD Sempron processor family is expected to redefine everyday computing for today's value-conscious buyers of desktop and notebook PCs.

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=672&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Anonymous
06-11-2004, 12:57 PM
AMD's answer to celeron?

ahab3333
06-12-2004, 04:12 AM
the only way this would make any sense is if the Sempron is a 64 bit chip. I still dont like it because it will keep the real 64 bit chips at a higher price.
i thought that the xp was a good answer to the celeron. it is cheaper then the celeron and it is a lot faster. ( by a lot I mean that it does not even compare to the celeron). these alone make it perfect to beat out any competition from the celeron. i believe you can correct me if i am wrong that the xp is also in the same wattage range.
does any body thing this is a good thing. does any body thing that the celeron was a good idea. giving uninformed people a chip that is stripped down and incapable of most gaming and multimedia functions because it has a higher clock rate than an xp blows my mind. some might say that it is good because it makes really cheap email computers, thats right but use a darn XP they are cheaper anyway AND FASTER.
now if AMD is going along that same line i might cry.
i always like that AMD never sold a down graded chip. besides the duron, which was not stripped down it was older model. to me the Sempron is like going backwards. you make a fast powerful chip and then make a crapy one that is cheap so people will buy it. what ever happened to quality.

vaughan
06-12-2004, 06:02 AM
I tried searching for sempron at the amd site - no match found. Go figure.