PDA

View Full Version : I set up a Vista machine

NeoGen
11-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Last friday I set up a media center for my company, and they gave me to install on it Windows Vista, Home Premium I think. And it's the RTM version already, they supply it through MSDN to companies.

Man... at the time of XP I thought windows had gone way too colorful and round... now that I saw Vista I was shocked, it's the same visual concept but pushed to the extreme. Everything is round, colorful, pretty and makes sounds and animation effects appearing and disappearing...

Geez... I want the classic square look back! Are people really gonna fall for all that smoke and mirrors? :lol:

Beerknurd
11-26-2006, 06:01 PM
I hate all that crap.... Win 2k pro is still my favorite.

drezha
11-26-2006, 06:15 PM
I quite like the Vista theme over XP's.

But now I'm used to the Gnome theme and even skinned my Windows XP laptop to look like linux. :lol:

Lagu
11-26-2006, 06:17 PM
We had first WIN ME whish not was so succeful. Should Vista be similar to this OS and disappear after a while? Win XP is the best OS I have used so far and I have no interest of Vista

gatekeeper53
11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
I have been running Vista on my 3700 since I built it. (to cheap to buy another copy of Windoze). And I agree with you!! I don't care for the look. It shows up as Longhorn on the boinc listing. I just see very little improvment, if any!! It is a 64 bit system but there is no noticable improvement in any way that I can see. I won't be putting any money out for it till there is at least service pack 2.

gamer007
11-26-2006, 10:10 PM
The only reason I really need Vista is DX10 for games. However, I'm using Vista Ultimate right now and is working fine besides the OLD ATI drivers for my video card.

I'll probably go for Home Premium when the price goes down. I'm not paying $200 CDN for an OS.

BlackAdder
11-26-2006, 10:20 PM
I have run it for several months now, mostly on weekends...I like all the glitz and fade effects but I'm sure it takes it's toll on CPU performance. I won't be upgrading from XP cause it is way too expensive and I really don't see any advantages for MY uses. :)

Evil-Dragon
11-26-2006, 10:21 PM
The only reason I really need Vista is DX10 for games.

You and me both. It sucks that they are forcing an OS on to people for DirectX 10. Damn this Microsoft bullshit!

Strongbow
11-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Start looking at Vista with regards to laptops and you'll see it in a different light!

XP, Win2K, NT etc. all were designed for the desktop with the laptop as an after thought, Vista however is different, especially for corporate users as they will no longer need to have typically full admin rights just to use their mobile system.